Sailrocket 2 and that amazing speed record.

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
J.D.
Rat

Sailrocket 2 and that amazing speed record.

Post by J.D. »

This is a joint UK/Aus project to break the world water speed record for sail craft. The ideas draw from a book by an American designer, the late Bernard Smith whose seminal work "The 40 Knot Sailboat" has had such a massive impact on everything from 18 footers to the America's Cup.

The driver, Paul Larsen, is an Australian who lives inland and just liked the idea of high speed sailing, read Smith's book and started work. This version, Sailrocket 2, was the product of British designer Malcolm Barnsley with whom Larsen was working. This first video was shot when they broke Hydroptère's nautical mile world record by about 5kts.

[youtube] [/youtube]

You'll hear him say "Goodbye Hydroptère" as he makes his run.

It just got better and Better for the Sailrocket team. A week later, they trashed their own world record:

[youtube] [/youtube]

In the days of incremental improvement, this was the biggest margin ever by which this record has been broken.

Ironically, both world water speed records are now held by Australians. As of 9/1/2013, Ken Warby's World Water Speed Record from 1978 still stands.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: Sailrocket 2 and that amazing speed record.

Post by Duke »

OMG that is nucking futs!!!
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

And a few more trim tweaks to make it faster.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

If I remember correctly Wobbler, your idea of exciting sailing is the 1998 Sydney Hobart.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Could be.. but speed needs smoother water then that years race.

Being that the old record is 2010 Kite-board 55.65 kts, they might hold it for a while or other might try to copy/have a similar style and a new speed race could be on.

Of the other reading I have done of this fast boat.. that day and he ran out of adjustments, but the cavitation was done quite well indeed, never know you might see a super maxi with a change.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

That is just insane that that thing is wind powered.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

wobblysauce wrote:...the cavitation was done quite well indeed...
I'm not sure they were using cavitation Wobbler. I know it's been considered. The last think I saw which mentioned both cavitation and Sailrocket didn't say they were using it. But it's coming and engineers are predicting 100kts as a possibility.
Exar Kun wrote:That is just insane that that thing is wind powered.
...and the hardest thing for most people to get their head around is that the wind speed was only about 30kts.

Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Awesome stuff but I spent an hour reading about Ken's record, still standing for so long made with a boat he built in his backyard no less, after reading this :)