Dopage in Aussie sports.

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Dopage in Aussie sports.

Post by norbs »

Given the news over the past few days, will high profile aussie sports men and women now stop pointing the finger at everyone else?

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott is dismayed by the findings of a report into doping in sport. How long til he blames Julia?

About fucking time the spot light was off cycling and on some of these other drug riddled sports.

I posted this on the blog 2 days ago. http://norbs.tk/cm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Excellent timing. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: Dopage in Aussie sports.

Post by Duke »

Horah!!! I say too mate.

Hopefully this opens up the eyes of the very vain Gen Pop & maybe is the start of something bigger. Not that PED's in sport will ever go away.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I just hope it's Canterbury again lol.

Seems pretty big, it's a real shame.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

If I was a pro athelete now there is no way I would not be doing my own independent testing and record keeping to use as a defense if necessary. I would also be adding written and signed accounts of whatever I was being given by the club. It is just such a conflict of interest to have club doctors, paid by the clubs to get the best out of the players almost rgardless of the risk or long term side effects that they can not be trusted.
It is now perfectly clear (really the only thing that is clear on this whole issue) that it is not in the best interest for the league (AFL, big time cycling, MLB, NFL etc etc) to have players publically outed as using PEDs and beyond that, it is often in the interest of the sport, from a purely financial view, that the players are juicing as it can drive attendances and income through the roof, so it now has to be on the players to protect themselves and take back some control as it is their careers and bodies that are at most risk here.
The players unions should be the ones leading the charge here to protect their constituents but they are so far behind on this it is not funny. It is not as Australian example but I heard today that NBA players can only be tested four times a year, so once that fourth test is done and clear you can go and do whatever you want and all of this was fought for by the NBAPA. Nobody gives a shit about PEDs in any of this, they just want to be able to smoke weed in the offseason! Baseball has only just started blood testing, the rest rely purely on urine tests so it is clear they do not really want to stop this. David Stern, the NBA commissioner who went to great lengths to rid the NBA of its cocaine problem in the 80s (because it was clearly affecting the show) is on record as saying that steroids would be of no benefit to a basketballer - really? Is he stupid or just lying his ass off?
I am getting pretty sick of the first thought popping into my head after seeing a great performance in a sport being "is that guy cheating?" It just sucks all the fun out of being a sports fan. All through the lead up to the Superbowl last week it was 'deer antler spray' and Ray Lewis dominanting the discussion, before that it was Lance Armstrong, now it is Essendon. I love my sport but I honestly do not how much more of this I can put up with.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I've questioned drugs in sport for years. I remember when Brisbane was on top of the AFL and Michael Voss was knackered yet he'd come back as fresh as a daisy either during a game or a week later. I'm saying he or the team were cheating and I know he was very fit. Maybe they were fully within the rules but they were doing something so he could recover so well. Being a marquis player I can understand you want him at his best. The trouble with the AFL is everything is in house and you haven't heard much until this story on Essendon broke.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Lance has shown you can beat the testers........ I have no doubt that clubs and players are always looking for the best ways to bend or cheat the rules and not get caught.

I have been told plenty of stories about current league players rec drug habits in the off-season.

I hope it is not the Bulldogs again... but I do fear the current coach may be involved from his Manly days

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Lance has shown you can beat the testers........ I have no doubt that clubs and players are always looking for the best ways to bend or cheat the rules and not get caught.

I have been told plenty of stories about current league players rec drug habits in the off-season.

I hope it is not the Bulldogs again... but I do fear the current coach may be involved from his Manly days

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Dr. Pain wrote:I've questioned drugs in sport for years. I remember when Brisbane was on top of the AFL and Michael Voss was knackered yet he'd come back as fresh as a daisy either during a game or a week later. I'm saying he or the team were cheating and I know he was very fit. Maybe they were fully within the rules but they were doing something so he could recover so well. Being a marquis player I can understand you want him at his best. The trouble with the AFL is everything is in house and you haven't heard much until this story on Essendon broke.

When I used to be a swimmer. And not my crappy 1.8 km slow paced swims I do these days, but when I was doing fairly hardcore training, with weights sessions before a 3-4km swim mixed mainly of sprint training. I was given a very thorough physical assessment when I was flying planes. The doctor had to ask after measuring my lung capacity what I did. He said with confidence that I had the fitness level of most Olympic athletes. I think most footy players would be at a similar level. I used to recover from completely smashed to ready to race again in around 5 mins. It's amazing how the body will adapt when trained properly. I'm not saying drugs don't exist in footy, I'm positive they would. I'm also not saying Voss wasn't a user. But you have to consider that the fitness levels of these guys are at peak levels, regardless of drugs. Drugs will give you an edge, but the difference is that extra 5% or so, and not always something you could visually pick up.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Oh no doubt they are fit as all hell. But when Voss seemed knackered it was more joint pain by the looks of it rather than lacking fitness. I know in Motogp, many riders got a Dr. Costa injection to help with pain so they could ride. Maybe that's what Voss got. I'm not the only one who was thinking like that at the time though. My bro in law would comment on it too. He would come back better and it was on more than one occasion. I don't want to say he was a cheat as he would run his guts out but his quick turn arounds were more noticeable than other players.

I use to cycle a bit about 8 years or so years ago and did notice a massive improvement to my lung capacity and heart rate. The fitter I got the faster I would recover.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah they can totally inject for pain. They do it before and during matches sometimes. It's usually fairly open and nothing against the rules. I'm not sure what they use, but it seems to get them going again pretty quick.
Montey

Post by Montey »

I saw the title and thought this was a thread about Mundine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

And the AFL have this stupid policy that anyone caught gets 3 strikes and no names are released...I say tou get caught, you get your day in court, and if you are found guilty...bye bye...the afl is sending the wrong message...
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

but it was only Lance??? he is the only evil person who was determined to do anything to win... surely...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Hazelb wrote:And the AFL have this stupid policy that anyone caught gets 3 strikes and no names are released...I say tou get caught, you get your day in court, and if you are found guilty...bye bye...the afl is sending the wrong message...
I thought Andrew Demetriou's response on radio this morning was very revealing.

It revealed that the AFL is too late. It's not like it's the first time this has happened.

As for the organised crime connections, pah, how many AFL players have been using illicit drugs over the years? And where does anyone suppose they got them?

But Demetriou's decided to come out swinging and make it look like the AFL are doing something. That can only mean one thing to my mind; they don't know what to do.

Nothing specific was revealed and no names were given. There was just a lot of hard talking which sounded to me like tilting at windmills.

Just like last time.

Just a bit of spin.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

Wayne Bennett = the first to start to question the real issue of drugs in sport... :)

I have been wiating for this since the Lance thing started to break out...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

norbs

Post by norbs »

bengatta wrote:Wayne Bennett = the first to start to question the real issue of drugs in sport... :)

I have been wiating for this since the Lance thing started to break out...

And yet there have been quite a few rumours of the Broncos doing some questionable things during his time there.

I have a lot of time for Bennett, he seems a genuinely good bloke. The Australian Story and the couple of times he has been on the Conversation Hour have been great, but to say "if we've got the drug problems we've had, well, what's the drug agency been doing?'' is bloody stupid. Do we blame the police for crime?

I have to say, it has been piss funny watching all these heads of sport apportioning blame everywhere.

And guys like Peter Fitzsimmons who has been blasting away at cycling for years, has said fuck all about it except for the match fixing part. Not a word about PEDs in his column. Fucking hypocrite.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

you are starting to be like a real journalist now... only pick out the words you need to listen too... Bennett said slightly more than that, and those bits are very critical in his context...

norbs

Post by norbs »

bengatta wrote:you are starting to be like a real journalist now... only pick out the words you need to listen too... Bennett said slightly more than that, and those bits are very critical in his context...

Well, if you're so enlightened, maybe share with us. The only piece I saw today said the above and this...

"We pay them a lot of money to come into our sport. We made a lot of compromises for them to come into our sport. And now they're telling us we've got a problem."

Yes Wayne, you do have a problem.
norbs

Post by norbs »

And now the anti Bennett has weighed in...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 2e7z6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Seems bizarre to me that with the NFL, AFL and NRL now worried about player safety (and the possible forthcoming class action lawsuits more specifically) that ensuring players are all natural seems to be the easiest way of slowing people down and taking weight out of them.
Slower people who wear out faster and weigh less = less impactful collisions and injuries.
I think they are afraid that if they stop now though, the sports will lose their spectacle as we have become used to a certain level of athelete and people will turn off - the biggest fear for administrators of all.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I don't think too much of a worry in AFL but it would be in league. Banned the shoulder charge and then have smaller players... I can hear the cries of "its Un-Australian!" now. Bring back the biff! :lol:

Slowing down can make skills shine through better and better highlights more naturally gifted players. I don't think the footy codes have too much to worry about. They'd be more worried about losing sponsors dollars the longer it drags out and they can't clear they names.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

They have made a lot of changes in the AFL to protect the players heads, on the back of the NFL doing a lot to protect players heads - conincidentally the NFL is being sued for not looking after players better - particularly in regards to consussions.
The dementia and suicide rates for former NFL players is pretty scary and while there is less head damage in the AFL, once the legal precedent is there, they are worried about the flood gates opening.
XLV SPORT
norbs

Post by norbs »

Get rid of the interchange rule. That will slow players down.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Not as much as getting them off the juice.
XLV SPORT
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:Get rid of the interchange rule. That will slow players down.
Really? They'd just dope more. :nod:

Have you forgotten Operation Puerto?
The most evidence collected is on Soccer & Tennis players... not much interchange for either, well OK tennis gets a break every 2nd set but the matches are now heading over 5 hrs... :rolleyes:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."