The Ashes 2013/14

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Dr. Pain

Re: The Ashes 2013/14

Post by Dr. Pain »

Johnson really has Smith rattled. Got him for 2 in his last innings. Think SAF will have a bad afternoon at this rate.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

300 in 58 overs... that's good going... and then knock over 4 wickets all in a day. Nice. Bring on the next 6 wickets...
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

If they can pull this off, this summer will go down as one of the greatest turn arounds in cricket history!

Who would of said back in September that they would beat the Poms 5-0 AND beat South Africa at home.. Awesome stuff!
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeeehawww!!! Harris takes two late wickets in a nail biter to take the win for the Aussies with 5 overs remaining!

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:Yeeehawww!!! Harris takes two late wickets in a nail biter to take the win for the Aussies with 5 overs remaining!

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.

Excellent win tainted again by fuckwittery on the field. And this time by the skipper. They are a hard bunch to like, that's for sure.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

What did he do???
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I'd rather this than that meek and mild pansy crap they had for the last few years under that South African twat.
XLV SPORT
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

What happened Norbs, I missed it and it wasn't mentioned on the news?
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Not wrong Norbs, Warner is a massive twat. Clarke is a preening bell-end. Watson... Jesus don't start me on him. Johnson is a tool. On and on.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Vilante wrote:What happened Norbs, I missed it and it wasn't mentioned on the news?
http://m.news24.com/sport24/Cricket/Aus ... e-20140305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:teach:
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Thanks VT.

They really need to pull their heads in. Someone should tell them that Aussie's don't like arrogant winners.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

At least the South Africans give it back (or even instigate things) and then leave it on the field.
The Indians start all kinds of nonsense then sook to the media afterwards about the big, bad racist Aussies. Nothing shits me more.
XLV SPORT
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Jiminee wrote:I'd rather this than that meek and mild pansy crap they had for the last few years under that South African twat.
Here fuckin here jiminee...no bloody worse than that tool Steyn...celebrate it for what it is, a great win over the best cricket team in the world , well they were before Callis retired..

Of course...just my opinion...;-)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Warner is an epic batsman, Clarke is a very good captain, Harris is a dead set legend and, for me, this team is playing with huge clackers.

They were written off 12 months ago and have come back to win 7 out of 8 tests through bloody hard work and determination.

Sure they are arrogant and get a bit worked up but it's nothing we haven't seen before or in other sports. You need a bit of that to win in the top level.

I am proud of em!
eek
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

pixelboy wrote:Warner is an epic batsman, Clarke is a very good captain, Harris is a dead set legend and, for me, this team is playing with huge clackers.

They were written off 12 months ago and have come back to win 7 out of 8 tests through bloody hard work and determination.

Sure they are arrogant and get a bit worked up but it's nothing we haven't seen before or in other sports. You need a bit of that to win in the top level.

I am proud of em!
:yes: :yes: :yes:
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I find it odd that guys like Border, Chappel (I) and Waugh (S) were celebrated for being hard nosed, grumpy, tough, no quarter given cricketers yet when some of this group do it they get criticised for it.
Is it because it comes off as a little fake now, a little try hardy? Where as being a grumpy asshole seemed to come pretty naturally to AB and an being an arrogant prick was just normal for Chappelli? Or are we just closer to the action now with HD TVs and stump mics so we know what is being said? I am sure guys in the 70s and 80s threatened batsmen with broken arms and the like but no one ever knew because in those days that area was strictly players only?
XLV SPORT
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Jiminee wrote:I find it odd that guys like Border, Chappel (I) and Waugh (S) were celebrated for being hard nosed, grumpy, tough, no quarter given cricketers yet when some of this group do it they get criticised for it.
Is it because it comes off as a little fake now, a little try hardy? Where as being a grumpy asshole seemed to come pretty naturally to AB and an being an arrogant prick was just normal for Chappelli? Or are we just closer to the action now with HD TVs and stump mics so we know what is being said? I am sure guys in the 70s and 80s threatened batsmen with broken arms and the like but no one ever knew because in those days that area was strictly players only?
I think it is because this mob were getting a smashed 18 months ago and now are on top of the world and they are getting carried away. It was not long ago they were being humiliated. It would be hard to win with class after that.

I don't think Border, Chappel or Waugh would have let things slide like they did under Arthur. Clarke didn't have the balls to stand up to him and is obviously a very different animal to the old hard heads. Look what happened with him and Katich.

I think I have mentioned it on here before, I have played against the Waugh twins in a school game. I am a couple of years younger than them, so that made a big difference at 15. I broke my thumb wicket keeping so batted last when we need about 20 to win. Steve Waugh was bowling everything at my head. Mark was in the slips giving me shit every ball. We needed 3 runs to win in the last over and I was on strike. They sledged me like nothing else. I got out caught on the boundary hooking Steve Waugh. Fuckers got to me. As Waugh would call it later, mental disintegration. They were masters of it at 18!

Like you say Jiminee, it has been happening for ages. It just seems this team have taken it a step further. Considering Chappeli's team were the ugly Aussies, this mob seem worse. I don't quite know why. Maybe as individuals, they seem like fucking tools.

Warner. Brilliant bat. Fucking imbecile otherwise.

Clarke. History of putting himself before the team. He is nearly as big of a sponsorship whore as Ponting.

Johnson. Struts when things are going his way. Pretty fucking quiet when every 3rd ball was going to 3rd slip. He is in a purple patch averaging 15 per wicket this season, but even with that, he is only averaging 27 for his career. I have softened my opinion of him since McDermott and Lillee have got in his ear, but lets see how he goes longer term before we start calling him a great.

Watson. Prone to injury. Enough said.

That said, it isn't all bad.

Harris is a trojan. Was good to see him clean up the last 2 last night.

Lyon is looking like a handy spinner for 26. I think he is that young.

Smith could be a handy player, but the next captain?

I think the biggest thing to come from this summer is Boof and his coaching staff. 3 thumbs up to them.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

A lot of it is media based to and a ton of it comes from India who literally treat there own players as can do no wrong gods and feel that when they get beaten it has to be because the other team cheated or played in ungentlemanly manner etc etc so everything is beaten up 1000%.
Of course the fact their lot are the nastiest, dirtiest, slimiest scum to ever pick up a bat gets lost in translation. Plus, whatever our guys say they understand perfectly which absolutely does not work the other way.
If MS Dhoni threatens to breaks Pup's arm in Hindi, are we going to be able to know?
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I think the biggest issue today is that the media can pick up on the sledging then turn it into mountains. It's always been there but only a certain few heard it. I played AFL in my teens and some of the shit said there was awful especially about your mum but you didn't let it get to you. It was white line fever. Now in the AFL a sledge about your mum is hurtful and gets massive media attention.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Playing basketball growing up there was a lot of terrible trash talk, or attempts at trash talk. Two that I remember:

-Being called a fag by a clown on the opposition, their school colours were purple and white so I simply responded "I'm not the one in the purple shorts dickhead" - that shut him up pretty quick!
-My favourite though, playing Sturt in a district basketball game, this guy (they were up by 20 so at least he had that going for him) was trying to tell me how he fucked my Mum last night, had to double park on her pussy and wait his turn etc etc. I let him go for a minute then replied "My Mum died two years ago of cancer mate, so you were fucking a corpse" (She is actually perfectly fine and still with us today, but he did not need to know that). Anyway, this guy just lost his shit and spent the last half of the game trying to kill me. I probably made it worse by quietly wishing him "good luck with the grave digging tonight" on the way out of the stadium to, but it was the last game of the season so it was worth it.

That night I learnt a valuable lesson about knowing when to talk and when to shut the hell up and the effect that a few well timed words can have in the heat of battle, it certainly has value when delivered to the right person!
XLV SPORT
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

didnt think it was worth a new thread so I will plonk this here

tonight is the final of the IPL and I saw this

at first glance i thought they had ARSE on their shirts :)
--------------
Stu