The Ashes 2013/14

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Re: The Ashes 2013/14

Post by Hazelb »

Well done the Aussies...whaite wash complete. Also well done to Sir Ian Botham, who pre series predicted such a white wash! :)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

What a fucking pathetic effort at the end by the tourists.

A pretty uninspiring series over all. Played in a mean spirit and some of the most unsporting moments seen for ages.

Johnson bowled very well but carried on like a fucking idiot most of the time. Good to see Harris get M.O.M in Sydney. Lyon is looking better with some confidence. Haddin, jesus, I didn't expect that sort of series from him. Will Bailey get another chance?

Will be a pretty interesting series in South Africa. Kallis retiring must help our chances.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

All that mean spirit was just an act, a show designed to get in the Pom's heads and it bloody worked, I doubt we will see much of that against South Africa.
XLV SPORT
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jiminee wrote:All that mean spirit was just an act, a show designed to get in the Pom's heads and it bloody worked, I doubt we will see much of that against South Africa.
No, it was just how Johnson, Haddin, Warner and co carry on when things are going well.

We wont see it against SA because they know Steyne will knock their heads off if they carry on.

I don't mind a bit of sledging, but the sight of Johnson throwing the ball at the batsman when he walked away from the crease summed it up for me. Fucking petty and not in the spirit of the game.

Show some class and don't carry on like fucktards at the pub.

Saying that, it wasn't just the Australians. The English not clapping batsmen scoring hundreds was just as petty. But as a badly beaten team, they had no cause to carry on like idiots like the Australian team did.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Johnson didnt throw it at the batsmen and it was out of frustration considering KP stepped away 3 times in the one innings.

Jaddin and Warner probably celebrate a bit too much but when you comparebit to other sports (afl, soccer, f1) are they really that bad?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Following such poor results by our Aussies in recent years, I actually really liked seeing some fire in their eyes and a killer attitude. At times they went too far, but I'd rather that than an uninspired and flat team. If the ashes doesn't have any heat in it, what's the point? It needs to be a big deal... And with that, on field tensions will come out.

I know what you mean though norbs. They crossed the line a few times.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Well that was impressive!

Australia won by 381 runs
Australia won by 218 runs
Australia won by 150 runs
Australia won by 8 wickets
Australia won by 281 runs

-Australia's 5-0 victory is only the third such rout in an Ashes series, with all three such verdicts going in favour of Australia on their home soil: they had previously beaten England 5-0 in 1920-21 and 2006-07.

-Overall, it is Australia's fifth such series verdict against any opposition - they have also beaten West Indies (2000-01) and South Africa (1931-32) by 5-0 margins. For England too, it's the fifth time they've been thrashed by a 5-0 margin - they suffered two such beatings versus West Indies in the 1980s.

-England's second innings in Sydney lasted just 31.4 overs, their tenth-lowest ever against Australia. Eight of those were before 1910. Over the last 100 years and more, this is the second-lowest, after the 28.2 overs in which they were bowled out at the Gabba in 2002-03. Since 1910, England have been bowled out in fewer overs only five times by any opposition.

-England lost 20 wickets in 543 balls in this Test; in other words, they batted 90.3 overs - which is three balls over a regular day's play - and were bowled out twice. Since 1910, only once have they lost 20 in fewer deliveries: against West Indies in Kingston in 1986, they lasted 530 deliveries and were bowled out for 159 and 152. Against West Indies at Edgbaston in 1995, they lost 19 wickets in 446 balls - Alec Stewart didn't bat in the second innings because of an injury.

-England's average of 21.58 runs per wicket is their fifth-lowest in a series since 1910; two of those have happened in the last couple of years - against Pakistan in the UAE in 2012, they averaged 19.06 over three Tests, their lowest in a series during this period.

-Australia's batsmen averaged 41.41 runs per wicket over the entire series, compared to England's 21.58. The difference of 19.83 between the two averages is the seventh-highest in any Ashes series. When Australia won 5-0 in 2006-07 the difference in averages was 26.42, while England averaged 21.91 more than Australia when they won 3-1 in 2010-11.

-Mitchell Johnson's series haul of 37 wickets is the ninth-highest in an Ashes series, but the fifth-best in a five-Test contest. Jim Laker's 46 in five Tests in 1956 is the highest in any Ashes, while the best for Australia in a five-Test Ashes is Shane Warne's 40 in England in 2005. Johnson's 37 is the best by an Australia bowler in a five-Test Ashes series in Australia.

-Johnson's 37 wickets also equals the record series haul by a left-arm fast bowler - Australia's Bill Whitty took 37 against South Africa in 1910-11.

-Among bowlers who have bowled at least 1000 balls in an Ashes series, Johnson's average of 13.97 is the third-best, next only to Laker (9.60 in 1956) and Rodney Hogg (12.85 in 1978-79).

-Ryan Harris' 5 for 25 is his fourth five-for in 12 Tests against England; out of his 93 Test wickets, 57 have come against England at an average of 20.63.

-England's top five didn't score a single century in the series - the only hundred for the team came from Ben Stokes, batting at No.6. It's only the second such instance for England in an Ashes series of five or more Tests since 1900 - the previous instance was in 1972 in England, when their top five averaged 25.13, and scored four fifties in 48 innings. Here, they averaged 25.57, and scored nine fifties in 50 innings.

-Australia's batsmen, on the other hand, scored ten hundreds in the series, which equals their record for an Ashes series. They also scored ten in 1920-21, 1946-47 and in 1993.

-The 5-0 series drubbing has pushed Australia up to No. 3 in the ICC's Test rankings, while England have slipped to No. 4.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

What a great day.. Just got back from the ground. I didn't expect to be celebrating a 5-0 series victory when I bought day 3 tickets back in June. Great atmosphere and a day I'll remember!

I think the Aussies played well but the Poms really redefined what it is to collapse! Very ordinary!

Yes the Aussies carried on a bit but I don't think it's as bad as your making out capt cranky!
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:What a great day.. Just got back from the ground. I didn't expect to be celebrating a 5-0 series victory when I bought day 3 tickets back in June. Great atmosphere and a day I'll remember!

I think the Aussies played well but the Poms really redefined what it is to collapse! Very ordinary!

Yes the Aussies carried on a bit but I don't think it's as bad as your making out capt cranky!
You might be right Pix. But the win would have been so much sweeter had they not carried on like 6 year olds.

Like my old cricket coach used to say if we played up. There is winning, and winning with class.

Then again, that was during a time that you clapped the opposition captain when he took guard. Anyone remember when that stopped happening?
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

The way that it seemed all encompassing it had to come from Lehmann, Clarke and the rest of the brains trust. It was much like how the team played when Lehmann was involved in the 90s and it can not be a coincidence that his tenure as coach brought in such an aggressive attacking style. England rely on teams going into their shells and waiting for mistakes so it was important to never let them settle, to make them feel under the pump from ball one and this was the only way to do it. They had to come at them as a group, snarling and hissing the entire time, even if it was clearly over the top and an act they had to shed the baggage of the Arthur era.
They went over the top but think of how many of those guys has their careers on the line in the past 6 weeks and it becomes understandable. I think they were prepared to take the potential negative PR that came from the sledging etc as long as they won, really none of those blokes would have survived losing badly as most were predicting before the Gabba. It could have gone really, really badly for them had they been so offensively aggressive and lost however, the tree hugging do gooders would of have had a field day with them and probably still would have if they were not doing the wowser act on alcohol/violence (*) at the moment so it was a brave strategy.
I'd love to see the game plan that Lehmann put together before the series, would be pretty short I reckon but interesting reading and I'd also really, really love to hear the best of the stump mics from the first 3 tests, that would be brilliant.
England dished out plenty to early on, the whole "broken fucking arm" incident was in response to Anderson wanting to punch Bailey in the mouth remember so Clarke had to step in and make a stand there, he had to prove to those guys he was the leader, he was in the fight to.
It was uncouth and ungentlemanly but I just dont think they had any choice but to go at it that way. England play best when they have that Boys Own, larger than life style character to rally behind - the Greig, Botham, Flintoff type, they had no one like that this series so they were ripe to be attacked. Australia have been most successful when they attack as a group behind a Border, Chappel (Ian) or a Steve Waugh - Clarke is not really that type naturally so Lehmann had to create that persona for and with him and it bloody worked and I really think they can give South Africa a fight. They just lost the heart of their team in Kallis and Australia have gone well over there since '92. They may not win but South Africa did not exactly destroy India recently so there is certainly a chance.

(*) Not trying to compare a cricket series with what is a real problem, just pointing out it seems to be the mainstream media's obsession at the moment now that they killed off the car industry. Just saying that IF they had wanted to get stuck into Clarke after the broken arm comment and with Warner's comments about Trott they could of derailed the whole show.
And by obsession I mean the story they hammer relentlessly until the facts get lost in the hysteria.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Lehmann put the mongrel in them and seemed to make it fun off the ground for them. Who would have ever thought that Johnson being in the team would take 37 wickets? I didn't that's for sure.

England were horrible. If you can't make runs, you have nothing to bowl at. Kev's stats sum it up.

I think we did enough to beat England but them being bad make that a far greater victory but South Africa is the next big test. It's not a great team but it's not half bad.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I think our top order is still a bit fragile, Haddin and the lower order had to bail us out one too many times for me. Lucky our bowlers had it all over the Poms or things could have been much different.
I was happy to see Smith do well as I was a bit dubious on him being brought in as a batsman but he played a couple of very good innings. Bailey still needs to show he can bat at Test level. With both of their inclusions I just wonder why other guys like Hughes and Khawaja, arguably better batsmen, aren't brought in at 5 or 6 and allowed to find their feet and work their way up the order but Smith and Bailey are?
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Smith is a good player. He is a good number 6 but that does take a place from a few batsman and Watson is one of them. Watson at 3 doesn't work and he should be at 6. But Smith is doing good there. I think you leave him there as he is young and let him become a Steve Waugh type of batsman. Not pretty, gritty but will make runs. Just got to give him time. Bailey should never have been picked as his Sheffield Shield average was 18 or something last season and you can't pick test players on one day form.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I think Bailey got the gig as part of the 'toughness' game plan - Hughes and Khawaja certainly have not shown they fit that mould. Those two might have really missed their chance now with guys like Doolan and Silk now being touted as the next in line. Seems a waste in some ways but by the same token, they did have chances.
I also reckon Smith with be the next captain - letting him run the Blues instead of taking him to India for the one dayers was the start of his grooming for the top job.
XLV SPORT
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

If our top order doesnt pull their finger out, we are no chance whatsoever of competing with South Africa. Steyn and Philander 1st and 2nd respectively at bowling in the world currently. Those guys are fantastic bowlers and will bowl us out no worries if we dont smarten up.
If we continue to bowl the way we are we will be alright, however Amla, Smith and Duminy are all form players capable of making big scores and batting for a long time. Lets just cross our fingers our bowlers stay fit and keep bowling the right areas.

Really looking forward to the SA tour.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

It's interesting looking at some of the stats, Smith actually stands up pretty well, first class average almost as good as Hughes and a better test average at this point. We're a bit lucky that Rogers is starting to really come good as he'll provide some stability, only problem is his age. I think Watson causes a lot of issues with our lineup, he's a guaranteed starter because of his bowling but seems to bat worse the lower down he is so where do you put him?
Funny I found this article looking at Watson's stats :)
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 06671.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sums up the situation pretty well I think.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! What an end to game where we should have been whipped! :faint:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I bailed on that game and went out for beers with mates when they got into our bowlers and Haddin and Maxwell threw away their wickets. Wish I had of watched the end now.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Cricket Australia ·2,436 videos on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cricketaustraliatv/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highlight reels for those that missed it.

Game 1

[youtube] [/youtube]

Game2

[youtube] [/youtube]

Last 2 overs.
[youtube] [/youtube]
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Cricket Australia can't even provide a HD video on the YouTube channel....
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

r8response wrote:Cricket Australia can't even provide a HD video on the YouTube channel....
I'm betting a million dollars* that it's because nine aren't broadcasting in HD.

*May not be real monies.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

The video in the app is HD!
eek
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

just faulking with ya.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Bah! :grumpy: