The Ultimate Yacht Race

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
J.D.
Rat

The Ultimate Yacht Race

Post by J.D. »

To my mind there are a lot of races which claim to be the ultimate challenge in sailing, like the *ahem* Sydney - Hobart and even the Fastnet. The TransPac would probably top that, as would the Newport - Bermuda. I know people who have done the Melbourne - Osaka. Then there's the Volvo Ocean Race - tough as nails but with more stops than ever, probably not quite the challenge it once was. The Vendee Globe and the Jules Verne would be candidates.

But there's one I reckon would be tougher, the Mini TransAt. This is a race for monohull boats which are no more than 6.5 metres long and runs 4000NM across the Atlantic from Northern France to Guadaloupe. Solo.

The boats are rocket ships and very challenging to sail but the race is a man breaker (or woman). The last one finished just before Christmas and had the maximum fleet of 84 boats. Here's what they're like:

[youtube] [/youtube]
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Pinger$

Re: The Ultimate Yacht Race

Post by Pinger$ »

Jeebus! Running one of those solo could be real tough. Look amazing though.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Lot of sail area for the size of the boat.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

And only 600-800kg.

No head; use a bucket instead.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

With a small tent sleeping/rest area.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.