2014 FIFA World Cup

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
pixelboy

2014 FIFA World Cup

Post by pixelboy »

- Website
- Mobile app

Some interesting games in the first few days..

Australia did pretty well against Chile but the need to start playing in the first half as well as the second!

Spain v Netherlands was just astonishing game.. watch the replay here at the SBS website ..

Finally.. massive respect to SBS for their coverage.. EVERY game LIVE on TV, Website, Mobile app with 5 camera choices! Amazing.

Full schedule here!

Last but not least.. this guy is retiring.. Without him and Johnny Warren Its hard to imagine that we would even have a team at the world cup!

Thanks Les..
eek
Santaria

Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup

Post by Santaria »

It was a good match in the second half. The penalties were definitely not in our favour, but that seems to be a theme when Australia plays on the world stage. Bresciano should have been subbed earlier to let Triosi work more and feed Cahill and the other chap, Leckie? Once he got his nerves sorted. Penalties that should have been given were frustrating too. Overall, i was pretty happy with the performance considering the skills gap between Australia and all the teams in the our pool!

Next match will likely be a thrashing, so here's hoping Van Persie hurts himself while combing his hair!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I thought we played okay and the game in general was great. We were up against a side that always ends up being underrated time and time again. That lapse early on is really what cost us majorly. I was more amazed to see Australia actually on the attack. Cahill's goal was nice.

If the Netherlands did that to Spain... I kind of fear our match up, but it should be interesting.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

The SBS stuff has taken over 2 years of planning. The web and mobile portal are fucking astonishing.

For me, game 1 summed up why I can't watch soccer/football any more.

That penalty was fucking bull shit. Diving makes me sick. I said it somewhere on social media yesterday. I was taught never to show you'd been hurt or knocked over. Get up and dont show any pain. Diving is fucking cheating. Send that Brazilian fuck off, even if it takes a replay to prove it.

Then the reaction of the Croat players towards the referee was a disgrace. If I was the ref I would have pulled the red and shoved it in the face of the first fuck that fronted me and then looked at the next guy. Try beating Brazil with 7 players you fucking arseholes.

These guys kick a fucking ball for a living. Sure, they do it well, but they're a bunch of self absorbed fucks.

I know it is a bit ranty, but they have destroyed a game I loved for the first 20 years of my life.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
petey

Post by petey »

They have made playing for fouls part of the game.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

The Croatian guy can not complain about the penalty though, he had no need to put his hands on the Brazilians shoulders, surely he should know that one touch in the penalty box and that guy is going down like a $2 hooker so why even risk it?
What good can come of it?
XLV SPORT
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I've gotta agree with Jiminee .. If you hold a player in the box you get what you deserve.. Sure Fred acted it up but for me it wasn't the clanger everyone is making it out to be.

Brazil were clearly the better team and deserved to win. Croatia hardly troubled the Brazilian keeper all game!
eek
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Yep, gotta remember the ref is 20 metres away, partly obscured, he has to make a bang, bang decision - the defenders just have to not put themselves in a position to be exploited.
Hell, the guys in the NBA flop and they only get one point for a free throw, I saw a quote this week that said imagine what the NBA guys like Wade and CP3 would do if their flops were rewarded with 30 points and a player being sent off!

That being said, if Fred was to get a red card post match then I wold not complain about that either, it would be just as deserved and possibly the most effective way of dealing with such issues.
XLV SPORT
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jiminee wrote:The Croatian guy can not complain about the penalty though, he had no need to put his hands on the Brazilians shoulders, surely he should know that one touch in the penalty box and that guy is going down like a $2 hooker so why even risk it?
What good can come of it?
I agree fully. My problem was with the dive.

Did anyone see the Dutch #4 when he got the tenderest of head butts go down like he was hit by a truck? FFS. Send them both off.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Law 12 of FIFA's Laws of the Game states:

A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following seven offences:
• unsporting behaviour
• dissent by word or action
• persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game
• delaying the restart of play
• failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick, free kick or throw-in
• entering or re-entering the field of play without the referee’s permission
• deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission

I think trying to milk a free kick by diving probably falls into the first four of the seven infringements noted in the law. Being cautioned more than once is, of course, a sending off offence.

I've also looked everywhere in the laws, but can't find the law that says you get a free kick if you fall over. I suspect there isn't a law that says that.

The game has been ruined because referees don't apply the laws of the game. The players abuse the leniency and/or incompetence of the referees.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

A free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player "kicks or attempts to kick an opponent" or "trips or attempts to trip an opponent". That is NOT the same as a free kick being awarded for falling over. There are so many circumstances where people have tripped over after losing the ball in a valid play. That happens.

Diving or "simulation" is where you try and persuade the referee that a foul was committed (diving, dissent) and that in itself is a yellow card offence for unsporting behaviour. You don't see many yellow cards given for simulation.

I don't miss refereeing for moments like this. It's a difficult task because you have to know these laws off the top of your head and apply them virtually instantly and sadly you have to be consistent, meaning that you really need to set your position on the game early on.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I really hate diving. I wish they could retrospectively fine and ban players on video evidence. It's tantamount to cheating and therefore bringing the game in to disrepute.

England lost their first game. Was a decent performance but we need to beat Uruguay now to stand a chance and they'll probably have Suarez (king of the divers) back.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Crowella wrote:A free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player "kicks or attempts to kick an opponent" or "trips or attempts to trip an opponent". That is NOT the same as a free kick being awarded for falling over. There are so many circumstances where people have tripped over after losing the ball in a valid play. That happens.
I see you didn't pick up on my cynicism.

When I watch football these days, I see referees giving free kicks against a tackling player who hasn't kicked or tripped (or attempted to) the player with the ball. They appear to give a free kick because the tackled player simply fell over. There is no other explanation because it wasn't foul play by any other standard.

Even worse, referees give free kicks to the player that fell over even though neither player was in possession, but both were challenging for it.

The way it appears, therefore, to my cynical mind is that referees give free kicks to players that fall over whether they have been fouled or not. Accordingly, players simply fall over to get a free kick.

One gets the behaviour that one rewards. If referees didn't reward people that "simulated", but instead penalised it by the law (see the example on page 123 of Law 12) players wouldn't get any advantage from falling over when they didn't need to. Spectators want to see a challenge for the ball and play continue, If a player falls over, then that's their problem. If a player is ACTUALLY fouled, then its a free kick. If its a foul for tactical purposes or repeated offences then its a free kick and a booking.

I think that if a player is so badly hurt that play has to stop and the trainer called on, the player should be removed from the field for a minimum of 5 minutes. If the player gets up and continues play, they should be booked for unsporting behaviour.

The current application of the rules by referees makes football boring.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Oh no I did, I was just clarifying possible reasons as to how it could be obtained. There's a few others in Law 12 that state what can't be done. I'm fully agreeing with what you are getting at too. Referees have a lot to blame but I know first hand it's an infuriatingly difficult job.

The law regarding an injured player is if they get external assistance for an injury (ie; coach, doctors) coming onto the pitch, they are to remain off the pitch until the referee gives them the signal to come back on (and it doesn't require a stoppage of play). This is why you will normally see players attending the injured player first in an attempt to keep them on the pitch right away. Sadly, this has resulted in the time wasting effort, where they get off the pitch, spend 10 seconds off and hop up ready to come on. I actually suffered criticism from a parent because I mentioned that their kid had to go off the field first before I could let them continue.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Big Kev wrote:England lost their first game. Was a decent performance but we need to beat Uruguay now to stand a chance and they'll probably have Suarez (king of the divers) back.
Hoping they can pull off the win as I would real like either my country of birth or country of citizenship to make the second round, not looking good for either.

Would also be good because I am planing to watch it with my Uruguayan neighbour :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Just in case you haven't seen the game yet I'll put this in a spoiler tag
[SPOILER]
You're out!
Sadly without kicking a ball because Spain were shocking and lost to Chile.

Pity really because I think Australia have played really well in their 2 games. Cracking goal from Gary Cahill but the Dutchies were just too good.

I think you can beat Spain next to avoid the group's wooden spoon though. They've been bloody awful so far.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Tim's goal was a cracker! What a sweet volley to hit. :)
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

norbs

Post by norbs »

Certainly will be up there as one of the best.

Now of they can let 3 more goals in, I am $100 up! :)

Probably not likely given Spain's inability to score lately.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

That match this morning was absolutely amazing to watch. I said with confidence to my work mate last night that a draw was possible if we play our best. It didn't end up being that way but Australia played the best I have ever seen them play in a world cup. We finally have speed up front.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Whoohooo. $100 in the sky rocket!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Did you bet on us completely sucking the big one dear leader?
norbs

Post by norbs »

Yep. An old mate is a soccer freak and was talking up the Socceroos. Imagine Craig Foster logic, but worse.

He was sure they would go through, despite the horror draw. I said I would give him $100 if they did. I said they would have 9 goals scored against them, to try and make it as ludicrous a chance as his. He took the bet. They managed to do it. LOL
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

They were never going to progress but I was hoping they wouldn't concede 9 goals!
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:They were never going to progress but I was hoping they wouldn't concede 9 goals!

They must have had the worst draw of any of the lesser known teams.

As you say, they were never a hope. Sadly, guys like Craig Foster talking them up and making ridiculous statements, like most times he opens his gob, got people in.