Optimising the V8 mod

ISI's new sim rFactor
TCR

Optimising the V8 mod

Post by TCR »

Hey guys,

Since my return to sim racing about 18 months ago, it's been all iRacing for me. I bought a copy of rFactor as it seemed like the other "hotness" at the time but never really got around to playing it. Now, as my birthday falls on the weekend of Bathurst I'm having a big bash at my place, and wanted to roll out the sim for party goers to have a crack at, of course it'll be rFactor running the V8 mod at Bathurst :D

I finally downloaded the v8 mod last night and installed it. Patched it up to V1.2 and also installed the realfeel plugin. It all seems to work "ok" but the controller settings are doing a few strange things. I'm using a G25 with Leo Bodnars pedal controller and Nixim brake mod.

The thing I'm really struggling with at the moment is the steering in these cars, it seems to take a huge amount of steering input to really turn these cars, and it feels really terrible. I've tried reducing the steering lock down to 300 degrees and that made a difference. I also played with the steering lock, and sensativity but I can't get it to feel right. It feels like it has some steering input lag, as I need to start turning in before I should to get anywhere near the apex, and then it takes an awful amount of lock on the wheel as well. I've spent about four hours this morning trolling the net for suggestions and have a few things to try, but I wondered if you might have any other suggestions specific to this mod?

Cheers.
iRacing - Paul Chapman
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Optimising the V8 mod

Post by r8response »

Might have something to do with the locked diff in the cars?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yeah, I think R8's probably right. I haven't driven rF for a long time but I think you really have to be off the power to make the cars turn. I've had lots of trouble getting my G25 to work properly in rF - i've ended up just giving up.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
TCR

Post by TCR »

I'm sure there's something that can be tweaked to get it working reasonably well. At the end of the day, most of the people using it on the day won't be "sim racers" as such and just the average Joe who wouldn't really know a really good setup anyway. As long as I can get it feeling ok.

To be honest this is half the reason I gave away sim racing about 10 years ago, it was just getting to hard to "tune" these sims to feel right. That and the constant upgrades to PC components and updating drivers etc etc.

These days I'm lucky enough to have a deicated PC and stick to iRacing, so I only have to "tweak" one setup, it's all I really have time for :)
iRacing - Paul Chapman
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

TCR wrote:To be honest this is half the reason I gave away sim racing about 10 years ago, it was just getting to hard to "tune" these sims to feel right. That and the constant upgrades to PC components and updating drivers etc etc.

These days I'm lucky enough to have a deicated PC and stick to iRacing, so I only have to "tweak" one setup, it's all I really have time for :)
I agree with you there with some things. I started to get over tweaking everything. Downloading tracks, mods, utilities etc all the time got a bit tiresome. I like that iRacing is arrive and drive. The member's website has pretty much everything you need in one place. rFactor and even the Simbin games got a bit too messy and I can't be bothered trying to get GPL to ever run again which is a shame.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Never had that problem Paul, I could send you my G25 setup if you like, I never used anything like Realfeel etc and it has most of they 'canned' effects turned off so it might help.
XLV SPORT
TCR

Post by TCR »

Jiminee wrote:Never had that problem Paul, I could send you my G25 setup if you like, I never used anything like Realfeel etc and it has most of they 'canned' effects turned off so it might help.
That'd be great. It's bound to be better than what I have at the moment :)
iRacing - Paul Chapman
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Cotroller ini
v844.ini
Bathurst Set-Up .I can do mid 2.09s with this but will go into the low 08s with a better driver :D
Bathurst V12-7q.svm
Real Feel 0.92 Settings

RealFeelIsOn=True
ConsoleEnabled=True
ConsoleRepeatDelay=0.100000
SpeechEnabled=False
KeyRepeatDelay=0.100000
SteerForceInputMax=11500.000000
MinSpeed=10.000000
[V8 Supercar]
MaxForceAtSteeringRack=1800.000000
SteeringDamper=2200.000000
FFBMixerRealFeelPercent=80.000000
SmoothingLevel=1

I've done quite a lot of racing with this mod , these setting work well for me with a G25 , I have all the FFB setting in the Logitech profiler at 105% and the centering spring unchecked and on 0% . Wheel rotation is at 340 Degrees . Hope these settings help .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
TCR

Post by TCR »

Awesome thanks!

Just a quick question, how do I adjust the Real Feel settings?
iRacing - Paul Chapman
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

No problem TCR , just checked in game and have given you the wrong set in the previous post , try this one , it's the last one I used for a 40 lap event a while a go :)
Bathurst-V812-1.svm
In the game directory there is a Reel Feel ini file , open it and edit it with notepad or just copy and paste the settings posted above into that file .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
TCR

Post by TCR »

mrleisure wrote:No problem TCR , just checked in game and have given you the wrong set in the previous post , try this one , it's the last one I used for a 40 lap event a while a go :)
Bathurst-V812-1.svm
In the game directory there is a Reel Feel ini file , open it and edit it with notepad or just copy and paste the settings posted above into that file .
Ok, I've worked out the rest but where the hell do I put this file ?
iRacing - Paul Chapman
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

rFactor\UserData\Your User Name\Settings\Bathurst

TCR

Post by TCR »

mrleisure wrote:rFactor\UserData\Your User Name\Settings\Bathurst
Yep, that's where I've got it.

I can see it in the in the Windows Explorer directory along with a setup I saved, but it doesn't show up in the game?
iRacing - Paul Chapman
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Make sure you click the VEHICLES/ALL tab or something like that above the list of setups in rFactor, it may make a difference.
XLV SPORT
TCR

Post by TCR »

Thanks for the advice guys. I used mrleisure's controller.ini, a mix of his and others realfeel settings, and a few other settings I gathered from the net yeaterday, and they made a big difference in the feel of the car, especially the steering. I haven't been able to load a decent car setup yet so that might be the final piece to the puzzle but at least I can drive it now.

I have all the aids turned off but it can be pretty twitchy in a few spots. Not sure if that's setup or not but you can certainly light up the tyres pretty easily and spin. I may have to "dumb it down" a bit with traction control etc, for average hacks that'll be using it during the Bathurst weekend :)
iRacing - Paul Chapman
tehsid
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by tehsid »

Whats the best ratio for a G25 in V8Factor? I'm running it on 900, but it feels so floaty, and it really feels like turn 200deg+ when I want to turn only a little.
Whats the best logitech settings I guess is what I'm asking.. :P
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

rF v8 mod is a pretty damn hardcore sim.. your mates might enjoy the GTR2 V8s more if you have that... IIRC its a port of the rF mod which ORSM made.. much less tricky to drive. Think i was Jayforce and MrIngall etc who ported it, and put in their own physics and tyre model etc.
[RSR] Shags

Post by [RSR] Shags »

SiD wrote:Whats the best ratio for a G25 in V8Factor? I'm running it on 900, but it feels so floaty, and it really feels like turn 200deg+ when I want to turn only a little.
Whats the best logitech settings I guess is what I'm asking.. :P
Mate i run on my G25, 200 deg rotation in Logitech profiler, and adjust rFacotr steering lock to around 17-19 degrees. I find this makes steering nice and direct, whilst limiting lock to lock turn on the wheel between say 9 and 3 on the clock face... try it see how it worx 4 ya ;)

Shags.
DexterPunk wrote:rF v8 mod is a pretty damn hardcore sim.. your mates might enjoy the GTR2 V8s more if you have that... IIRC its a port of the rF mod which ORSM made.. much less tricky to drive. Think i was Jayforce and MrIngall etc who ported it, and put in their own physics and tyre model etc.
Fellas there are 2 V8 mods in rFactor, Here is my short comparison. (Its only my opinion, yours may differ and that's fine, that's why this is a forum I do not need anyone "mouthing" me for this post.)

V8Factor Vsn 1.2 by ORSM mod team.
>Extremely hardcore and almost intangible.
>Not prone to providing much feeling of change when tuning setups.
>Lap times are not terribly accurate 2 min 12 sec's at Bathurst, Real life 2 mins 7sec's.
>Handling is skaty, It is either snap over steer, or dire under steer. (A real V8 supercar would and does handle much, much better than the mod represents) I have never been able to get the car to feel hooked up. To get it to turn in I find you have to be overly cautious, often slowing the car more than the car would in real life. Obviously time would make you come to terms with this, as I am sure it has with a few of the Aussie leagues.
>Skins (Paint Jobs) 2006 season, Model Quality and sounds wise V8Factor has no peer.
>Mod teams activeness in improving and patching their works..., Infrequently.

FVR_V8 2009 v1.5b
>Far more indicative of what I believe and see a V8 Supercar does.
>Car setups actually make a huge difference altering feeling of the car and this can be seen in the lap times.
>Lap times are extremely accurate when all "Driver Aids" are turned off. Bathurst 2 mins 6 secs, Real life 2 mins 7 Secs. Extremely close. This accurate correlation also extends to other tracks as well.
>Handling in my opinion opinion is much more indicative of a current V8, the cars today are a highly developed packages, these cars in real life go and stop, they turn in when asked, they are world class tourers with only DTM's as a possible rival. This mod replicates this nicely, without being arcadey in any way. (Again when Driving Aids are turned off)
>Skins. Not as High Res as found in V8Factor, but accurate in every detail to the 2009 Season. Model quality is not at the very high standard of V8 Factor, however FVR does have the current FG Falcons and VE Commodores, modelled quite nicely to look real enough. V8 Factor does not. (It has the AU series and BA Falcons and VY Commodores only).
>Mod Teams activeness. Extremely High. Perhaps one of the most active and community engaging Mod Teams in rFactor.

So in a nutshell, V8Factor looks and sounds better, FVR_V8 feels better. (Again with Driving Aids turned off)
The difference in visual's is not that far apart, so I personally use FVR for the feeling it gives.
Kind Regards, Phill Routledge. www.redlinesimracers.com
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

hiya shags... i may be biased since i was part of the beta test team for ORSM... both for the F1c V8s, and the rF v8 mod....

we had a couple of guys on board who had v8sc experience... (not just those pay to drive deals) i do agree they are a hell of a handful to drive.. but im kinda inclined to listen to those that have driven the real deal.

IIRC - we also got down to around the 2:08 - 2:09 at stu's bathurst... its certainly the most accurate bathurst made to date.... as far as track layout etc.

these days though, i dont race much, and prefer just something i can jump into and fang around for a few mins. rF as a whole never really grabbed me, i always seemed to feel a bit disconnected from the road.
[RSR] Shags

Post by [RSR] Shags »

Hmmm,, Shame you feel that way Dex. Have you tried the FVR mod? As you say if ya wanna jut jump in a go for a fang it is far more suited to that...
You should jump into our server one friday / saturday night for a spin with us too see what you think...

You would need FVR V8's + 1.5b Patch + VE Cam Fix (3 files total)

Shags.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

2.07s are possible for some , I've even seen guys do 06s . Here's the top ten times from last weekends Bathurst round in one of the leagues that I compete in :D

V8Factor 2006 v1.2 - Mount Panorama Pos Driver Vehicle Session Time Date
1 Racer14 Toll HSV Dealer Team Practice 2:07.514 09-Oct-2009 8:24 PM
2 EAO_Sk][pY Toll HSV Dealer Team Practice 2:07.760 09-Oct-2009 5:09 PM
3 Josh_17 Chevrolet Dealer Team Practice 2:08.285 09-Oct-2009 5:07 PM
4 AUS-JordanGee Ford Performance Racing Practice 2:08.472 12-Oct-2009 7:40 PM
5 EAO_LEDSTORM Ford Performance Racing Practice 2:08.550 10-Oct-2009 12:51 PM
6 Disco Stu Team Sirromet Wines Practice 2:08.881 10-Oct-2009 10:39 PM
7 Sandman Garry Rogers Motorsport Practice 2:09.187 12-Oct-2009 9:33 PM
8 Daveo555 Monster Energy / DC Racing Crew Practice 2:09.358 12-Oct-2009 9:12 PM
9 TKRACIN Team Betta Electrical Race 2:09.419 10-Oct-2009 7:20 PM
10 EAO_TOPCAT EA Outlaws Qualifying 2:09.425 11-Oct-2009 7:39 PM

[RSR] Shags

Post by [RSR] Shags »

Hmmm, I stand corrected. Nice times Mr L :)

I can say tho, for the most part the EAo fellas have been using the V8 Factor mod since release.... if anyone could do those times it would be those fellas. :)
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

its not just your driving to get those times, but the set also makes a big difference
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

There were guys doing 2:06s in ORSM's mod within a month of it being released. I'm not that quick and I was already into the 2:08s. But, the thing is the track (whilst being the most accurate yet made) isn't as accurate as a laser scanned track so time comparisons to real life are pointless.
[RSR] Shags

Post by [RSR] Shags »

I am drooling at the possibility someone lasers Bathurst... Now that would be something special.