rF2 Tyres

ISI's new sim rFactor
Scottie

rF2 Tyres

Post by Scottie »

Cool little write up... if you havent already seen it:

http://rfactor.net/web/2011/07/30/build ... ire-model/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SE1Z

Re: rF2 Tyres

Post by SE1Z »

Wow.... I'm impressed.
That looks incredible!
Steve
---
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

It does look good :)

It seems to me tho that the two flatspots were in different locations on the tyre...
And...how the heck did he run the tyre thread down in one lap? :eyepop:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Very cool. Looks like they've modelled the Pirelli F1 tyre pretty accurately. ;)

Ysu, it says in the article they made the tyre effects x100
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

w00dsy wrote:Very cool. Looks like they've modelled the Pirelli F1 tyre pretty accurately. ;)

Ysu, it says in the article they made the tyre effects x100
no reading :D thanks.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

That flat spotting/ware video looked fantastic.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Looks bettrr than iracings piece of shit new tyre model
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

The wear looks great but obviously LFS did the deformation hundreds of years ago so that's not quite as impressive.

I have to say I'm disappointed with the graphics though - it looks incredibly dated and has that really bizarre blue tinge that ISI seem to drop over everything. I'm not sure ISI have updated their graphics engine since Sports Car GT. :(
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

durbster wrote:I have to say I'm disappointed with the graphics though - it looks incredibly dated and has that really bizarre blue tinge that ISI seem to drop over everything. I'm not sure ISI have updated their graphics engine since Sports Car GT. :(
I see this comment all the time. What i tell people, is to compare vanilla rFactor's graphics with some of the better mods, CTDP's efforts etc.

ISI supply the canvas, its up too the community to make it into art.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

I agree the graphics aren't as good as others out there. But rfactor has always derived a lot of its appeal from the modding community and the vast variety in cars\tracks etc that are generated from it. I think this particular development is the right direction for sims in general as there is one common denominator with all of them, until now, which is none of them simulate a track\car and its changes over the period of a race. I wouldn't be surprised if other sims follow suit shortly after RF2 release.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

You'd think they would...but I'm not sure it's that simple. I reckon it'll take years for the others to do similar developments. If they decide it's worth the trouble!
Did tyre deformation and the multi-faceted tyre (flatspot!) catch on in any other sim so far? No.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

nKPro had flatspots at an early stage.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

r8response wrote:
durbster wrote:I have to say I'm disappointed with the graphics though - it looks incredibly dated and has that really bizarre blue tinge that ISI seem to drop over everything. I'm not sure ISI have updated their graphics engine since Sports Car GT. :(
I see this comment all the time. What i tell people, is to compare vanilla rFactor's graphics with some of the better mods, CTDP's efforts etc.

ISI supply the canvas, its up too the community to make it into art.
I realise that but it's the quality of the canvas that's the problem. The CTDP stuff is amazing considering the engine it's based on but the fundamental weaknesses of the graphics engine are impossible to overcome and it looks to me like that will remain to be true.

It's not enough to say they can't be arsed to make it look pretty because the modders will do that - it's up to ISI to showcase their engine at it's best. At the moment, put an rF2 screenshot next to Codemasters F1 2010 screenshot and - even alllowing for the compromises of the simulation - it's not even slightly close.

So far, at least.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

r8response wrote:nKPro had flatspots at an early stage.
It still has. Flatspot it, and your wheel will shake. Not as bad as in V1, luckily :)
But it's not quite the same sort, mostly because the nkp tyres don't have this radial segmentation, as far as i know.
And of course the result is that you don't flatspot at the same place due to over-heated surface in that spot (which you do in LFS)

If someone has insider info please correct me if I'm wrong.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I don't know if it's still the same, but IIRC the flat spot effect in the early NKP versions was just an FFB effect. It didn't actually affect handling etc, it just shook the wheel.

ISI seem to like doing low res/grainy track textures which makes things look shit. They a better artist or they should start using photo based textures like iracing and some mod groups do.

Visual wear is awesome and visible deformation is nice as well, but it doesn't tell us about the handling characteristics. It will be impossible to say whether it's better than iRacings model until we get to drive it.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

iracings oval cars are shit right now.

Indianapolis in the Impala A is 2 seconds a Lap slower than the real guys. it actualy feels worse, more slippery and unstable than the OTM did to me.

The preview we had for the impala B was really nice. The car felt like it was in the track, you could really push it if you wanted, now its back to tip toeing around.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

DarrenM wrote:I don't know if it's still the same, but IIRC the flat spot effect in the early NKP versions was just an FFB effect. It didn't actually affect handling etc, it just shook the wheel.

ISI seem to like doing low res/grainy track textures which makes things look shit. They a better artist or they should start using photo based textures like iracing and some mod groups do.

Visual wear is awesome and visible deformation is nice as well, but it doesn't tell us about the handling characteristics. It will be impossible to say whether it's better than iRacings model until we get to drive it.
That's a very good point; and I'm not sure if flatspot in nkp does anything else than shake the wheel ;) (it does that a little)
But as I pointed out in the above video the two flatspots happened at different places, too! So it's quite possible that in this regard LFS is still ahead of the competition :)

Re the look, yeah it looks shit. But I don't think it takes away from the driving experience at all - if it's good. Altho it could make it more popular, lots of people are stuck on looks.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

DarrenM wrote:I don't know if it's still the same, but IIRC the flat spot effect in the early NKP versions was just an FFB effect. It didn't actually affect handling etc, it just shook the wheel.
Does a flatspotted tyre affect the handling? I thought it's only real effect was vibration.
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

durbster wrote:
Does a flatspotted tyre affect the handling? I thought it's only real effect was vibration.
When you flat-spot a tyre in real racing, the chances of that flat spot coming around and causing the wheel to lock up during heavy braking on the same position becomes a real problem, not to mention issues with suspension and steering due to the imbalance.
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

Yeah by far the flat spots in LFS are still the best I've experienced, although they weren't visible on the tyre carcass itself, in the tyre heat / wear window it was very accurate, also the chances of flat-spotting again once you had a decent lock-up was common, many races I had with unpractised sets resulted in flat spots then a few laps later a blown out tyre. It wasn't just heat related it actually showed the sudden wear in the display too and would eat a fair chunk of the tread.
Chris Bloom

Post by Chris Bloom »

I really hope rF2 is the business. I honestly can't afford to pursue iRacing further than the rookie classes and I've got the urge to do some more on-line racing.
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

http://rfactor.net/web/2011/09/23/rfact ... dates-hdr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D

Its strange since F1 2011 i REALLY want this more now (dont get me wrong i think F1 is great...but i feel this will give me the closest thing to what LFS was only with a ton more content)
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

*like*

Was going to get F1 2011 tomorrow, and probably still will, but this has my attention :)