RF2. Why didnt it seem to make it?

ISI's new sim rFactor
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

RF2. Why didnt it seem to make it?

Post by norbs »

I realise this is a long shot, posting in the FRactor forums, but I have in the past couple of weeks fired up RF2, having never really paid it any notice, and it is fucking fantastic.

So my question is, as someone who knows fuck all about ISi and Rfactor, why does it seem that RF2 flopped?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Re: RF2. Why didnt it seem to make it?

Post by DarrenM »

I think it was released too early and at a bad time.

When they released it as beta it wasn't all that far removed from rfactor 1 and looked dated, graphically. People just didn't see the point of it. Charging subscription for multiplayer probably didn't help either. We all know how much some people love that idea.

People entrenched in rF1 with a huge store of mods probably didn't see enough reason to switch. It has great physics and tyre model now, but by the time that was in people were looking at Assetto Corsa's shiny graphics. Plus when iRacing came out it seemed to have killed off a lot of the leagues that might have run it once it got good.

So I think their problem was that they released it too early. It should have stayed in the oven another year or 2 and got more graphics improvements before coming out, but maybe ISI needed the money to continue development.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Most of the mod groups that made rFactor what it is today simply disappeared.

I can't think of a single memorable mod for rF2
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've actually given it a go a year or so ago (again), and it still did not look nor feel too good to drive, to be honest (compared to nkp).
Was it still the early beta?
I know that when it was first released I was glad for the money back guarantee, I went for it right away.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Have sims now gotten too complicated and the bar been raised too high for modding on the scale we saw in rF1 to still be possible?
The mods made rF1 great along with how great a league platform it was - seems like they did a good job of killing those two things with rF2.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

RF2 was very limited when it came out. There wasn't too much too it and not enough to make it a successor to RF1. Development also took a long time. It seemed a long time for any new content to come along. To me there seemed to be a lot of fluffing around.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:I think it was released too early and at a bad time.

When they released it as beta it wasn't all that far removed from rfactor 1 and looked dated, graphically. People just didn't see the point of it. Charging subscription for multiplayer probably didn't help either. We all know how much some people love that idea.

People entrenched in rF1 with a huge store of mods probably didn't see enough reason to switch. It has great physics and tyre model now, but by the time that was in people were looking at Assetto Corsa's shiny graphics. Plus when iRacing came out it seemed to have killed off a lot of the leagues that might have run it once it got good.

So I think their problem was that they released it too early. It should have stayed in the oven another year or 2 and got more graphics improvements before coming out, but maybe ISI needed the money to continue development.
Who are you talking about darren? :D ( I was thinking of giving the Skip Barber a run in that other game. $146 for the content I needed!)

Thanks for the info. Like I said I know nothing about the games history, but am surprised at just how good it feels.

It is funny that people say ACs graphics are good. I think they are poor myself. Well compared with Pcars.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jiminee wrote:Have sims now gotten too complicated and the bar been raised too high for modding on the scale we saw in rF1 to still be possible?
The mods made rF1 great along with how great a league platform it was - seems like they did a good job of killing those two things with rF2.
There are some terrific mods in AC.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I purchased this about a year ago and spent maybe an hour in it before getting a refund. It was just way to dated looking and no one else was playing it. A big part of racing for me is racing with other people, I didn't think it was every going to happen with RF2.

I also bougt/refunded Automobilista. I had a shit of a time getting the wheel up and going and the first 4 cars I tried didn't have cockpits.... Which I thought was a bug or something.

In the end, I got it going. Loved the feel, loved the sound, but realised really quickly, no one else would be playing it and it would just take up space on my HDD.

I liked how RF2 felt and the night time stuff looked cool, it just wasn't any better than the other stuff at the time.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

norbs wrote:
Jiminee wrote:Have sims now gotten too complicated and the bar been raised too high for modding on the scale we saw in rF1 to still be possible?
There are some terrific mods in AC.
True but mostly individual cars - nothing like the GP 79 mod, the CTDP F1 stuff, ORSMs V8s.
XLV SPORT
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

norbs wrote:Who are you talking about darren? :D ( I was thinking of giving the Skip Barber a run in that other game. $146 for the content I needed!)
Worth every penny :p

Did you include the 20% discount when you buy 6+ items in one go? Also, you don't have to own all the content to race in the series so you could leave out the ones you probably wouldn't be interested in like Le Mans. Why the fuck anyone would want to race the Skip around there is beyond me. The schedules are voted on by members so you get weird shit occasionally. Or you could buy every 2nd weeks track to alternate with the AC league.

Only item I've regretted buying was the original V8 Superturd. I've had buyers remorse on a couple of the AC dlc packs though. Only use them once or twice on Friday nights and there's a few cars in them I haven't even driven yet.
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:
norbs wrote:Who are you talking about darren? :D ( I was thinking of giving the Skip Barber a run in that other game. $146 for the content I needed!)
Worth every penny :p

Did you include the 20% discount when you buy 6+ items in one go? Also, you don't have to own all the content to race in the series so you could leave out the ones you probably wouldn't be interested in like Le Mans. Why the fuck anyone would want to race the Skip around there is beyond me. The schedules are voted on by members so you get weird shit occasionally. Or you could buy every 2nd weeks track to alternate with the AC league.

Only item I've regretted buying was the original V8 Superturd. I've had buyers remorse on a couple of the AC dlc packs though. Only use them once or twice on Friday nights and there's a few cars in them I haven't even driven yet.
yep, that was with the discount.

it's fine, I dont have to play it. I just thought that was a lot of money for some content.

Well compared to the AC DLC. Which is cheap and you own for ever. :)

Back to RF2, the Skip barber in that game is so much fun to race. My only complaint so far is the sound. Seems lacking.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

It's expensive for sure. And at the entry level there are the usual idiots on track, often. So you'll be hard-pressed to get anywhere. But once you're out of the bottom level - if you like the way it drives, which in my opinion is not on par with AC - then you can start to have fun.
I've got a lot of buyer's remorse on that sim, a lot I tells ya. I've sunk at least two new wheel+pedal's worth of money in it (better ones, not logitech level!). It's just way-way too expensive with the double-dipping pricing structure.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

norbs wrote: Who are you talking about darren? :D ( I was thinking of giving the Skip Barber a run in that other game. $146 for the content I needed!)

if you pay this, then don't renew your 3 month subscription is that content then gone for good, or can you reactivate your subscription in a years time and it is still there?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

It's still there, along with your ratings etc. Your account basically just goes on hold.
Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

In good news for RF2 then, they've sold the game to 397 studios, ISI are making another racing game- having learned nothing from this and 397 want to make Rfactor 2 decent.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/r ... ed.126216/
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I gave it a chance but wasn't impressed and got a refund.

In pretty much all areas it just felt too much like a sim from the GPL era, competing with the upcoming sims of the AC era.

The GPL era was a golden time of course, but RF2 didn't seem like a step forward in any area.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

On another note, I've just got another 16 euros from slightly mad studios...
Who said pre-purchasing games is a bad move, LOL!
Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

durbster wrote:I gave it a chance but wasn't impressed and got a refund.

In pretty much all areas it just felt too much like a sim from the GPL era, competing with the upcoming sims of the AC era.

The GPL era was a golden time of course, but RF2 didn't seem like a step forward in any area.

While the video is Empty Box saying how RF2 could be improved, look at those graphics, that's GPL Sportscar mod levels of detail.