Buy, Swap 'n' Rent?

Buying or Selling stuff? Here's the place to do it.
Forum rules
The admins take no responsibility for goods sold, bought or swapped on the forums. This forum is purely for making others aware that you have stuff to buy, sell or swap. Please make all transactions of money and goods via PM or email.

Sellers must have a reasonable number of posts on this board to advertise. If you register and advertise straight away then your post will be viewed as spam and removed. Please contact one of the admins, however, if you think your ad warrants special consideration.

Thanks.
Enforcer-J

Buy, Swap 'n' Rent?

Post by Enforcer-J »

Just after some advice on renting furniture/electrical goods from those who have rented in the past or currently are. I'm after a fridge (under $1000) and a lounge suite (approx $1500).

I'm a bit cautious about the whole interest free thing. Will I need a lawyer to read the fine print? lol.

Is it always rent to buy? or do you have to always return or return to upgrade?

If you upgrade, does the condition of the current goods matter?

Basically, is it worth it compared to borrowing funds?

Thanks chaps, scholar's and distinguished gentlemen
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Buy, Swap 'n' Rent?

Post by Vilante »

All I know is that if you don't pay off inside your interest free period they start charging you at credit card rates (20% odd).
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Try 27% there vil :)

Interest free is great if you work the system, you just have to pay the amount back in the interest free period, say you have a 12 month interest free time, and it's $1000 that's 83 per month, what I do is take a month off that and divide by 11 so you have a months grace incase.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

As above if you budget correctly at the start Interest Free is a good way to pick something up, you just HAVE to make sure its all paid by the time the period finishes or they will end up owning you with the interest.........

My sister was going to do a Flexi-Rent thing from HN but when I read the conditions I just bought the stuff for her and had her pay me back over 12 months.... She would have bought the stuff 2-3 times by the time she owned it
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I've used GE interest free for all my camera gear. Great way to by, but again, you need to budget yourself correctly.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Flexi rent is the biggest scam. Never ever do that shit
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Thanks guys.

So basically it is a loan? You're really paying the item off as oppossed to renting?

...and from what I gather, if you havent paid the goods off over the interest free period they charge you for interest over the whole period and not just on what's left owing?
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

No, Flexirent is leasing, you pay a monthly fee but at the end they still own it!! So in the end you pay about double what it was worth retail and you still have to offer them more money to keep it. At the end you can either pay them a lump sum to keep it or take it back to them. Massive rip!

Interest free is good, you just have to be sure to budget and be able to pay it off on time.

Pretty sure that's right J.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Flexirent to me is a rip off. Interest Free, when done within your means, is a very good option. Reverse saving; rather than putting money away every week/month to buy something, you burrow it as a lump sum first and pay it back before interest kicks in.

Interest Free is a loan, but with a deferred interest and often repayment period. The main thing is to not borrow above your means. You don't want to get a loan on stuff you can't afford to pay off prior to the interest period commencing, otherwise you will pay lots more. The interest is charged on the outstanding balance.

I've been using interest free loans since I was 16, that was in 1996. I purchased a $600 stereo system which I still have and use today. Last year was the last time I used it to buy a new lounge, entertainment unit, 2 x bookcases and 3x bar stools which was paid off within 6 months.

99% of the time I've gone through GE Finance. Based on my history with GE, I'm pre-approved for a large sum I could never imaging attempting to payback! I must have a AAA credit rating or something. Therein lies the reason to ensure you spend within your means. If I ever took what they offer to me, it will be them laughing on the way to the bank... not me. :)
Last edited by Rots on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Flexirent / radio-rentals crap is for people who don't have the credit rating to get interest free. And, in doing so, they usually get further into trouble. Occasionally there are people who rent because they're only in town for a few months or so, or they've just moved and need a few things for a couple of months before they settle down and decide what to purchase but I know Radio Rental's customers are mainly corporate (clubs etc) or low income/bad debt people who want something without credit checks.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Oops... wrong button.

BOOBS
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Rots wrote:Oops... wrong button.

BOOBS
should have post a pic of boobs........
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

dvestate wrote:
Rots wrote:Oops... wrong button.

BOOBS
should have post a pic of boobs........
Ok...

:flash:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Tease...
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Geez, you arse's are hard to please. How about this then:

Doso

Post by Doso »

I've posted this on OCAU a few times but I'll post it here to.

Those Interest free offers, while technically are interest are free are not really interest free. What they do is lump the interest payments for the 12,24 or what ever into the principle.

Eg that $600 radio would cost 600 if you paid cash but if you got the interest free deal then you would have to pay back $650 before your interest free period ends, the $50 dollar difference is the interest disguised as principle
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I will be going to Africa soon for work and will also be spending a week at Kruger National Park spotting wildlife.

I would like to rent a DSLR and fairly decent long lens suitable for the task.

Do you guy's have any recommendations? Might be better to rent in South Africa I guess?
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah I'd rent it there if you can sort that out.

Depends what you're happy lugging around. I'd recommend a 100-400mm with something like a 7D. The crop sensor will give you a little more reach than a full frame.

Perhaps consider a wide angle too, there will likely be some fantastic landscape opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Ok, thanks Dex.. We will be in the car 90% of the time so that's probably fine.
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'm not sure of the capabilities of the 7Dmk2 but if you can get one of those, check and see if it will run a 1.4x teleconverter with the 100-400, and not lose AF. My 5D2 can't, my 1Dx can. You wan't pretty much as much reach as you can get. I wouldn't go with a prime though, as amazing as a fixed focal 500mm is, because you never know what may wander up close. You don't wanna miss shots like that. 100-400 does a wonderful job considering the focal range it covers. Don't worry too much about max f/stop etc, because you will be no doubt shooting in decent light most of the time. If you get a fairly recent body, you can pretty safely crank the ISO anyway. I shot most of my Galapagos photos last time on around ISO 800.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Ok, yep... As I suspected the 7D2 basically has the 1Dx AF system...
For the first time in a non 1-Series or 5-Series body, Canon have also included the ability to autofocus with a lens featuring a max f/8 aperture. This is HUGE news for wildlife photographers as well, particularly with this lens because it means you can attach a 1.4x extender to this lens and get an equivalent 896mm lens and still use autofocus
http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2014 ... m-l-is-ii/
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Wow, hiring gear is expensive.. about $1500 to hire a 7D & 100-400mm for a week !!

I think I might just buy something like this..

Yes I know its got a sensor the size of my thumbnail.. but I think its better for me..
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It's better for your wallet!

$1500 is a joke. That doesn't include a bond that you get back does it?

Those superzooms aren't too bad.