Drift Battles

AustralAsian Drifting forum. LFS drifters.
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

Australian National Drifting Competition? AustralAsian Drifting?
Hamal

Post by Hamal »

Sorry had to split before it all ended (at least, had it ended when I left?), had to go to music practise.

Well, what can I say? I am awestruck by the talent of these drivers. Judging was extremely difficult at times with hard choices to make (I joked about the judging being too difficult and unfortunately some people took me a bit too literally :) I can see how the mistake was made though :P).

Spoonsports, Gusto and Samoo(?) were fighting in a three way drift battle and I have to say, it was mighty close between Gusto and Spoonsports. Honestly, I think the decision came down to luck for some of those races and I for one would be extremely interested in watching a Gusto VS Spoonsports grudge match. I think the three way battle just added a bit too much unpredictability for a drift competition.

Despite feeling a little cheated by not seeing Spoonsports and Gusto battle it out against each other, it was an awesome experience. I'll be watching the replays more than once!

Can't wait for the next one!
Hamal

Post by Hamal »

samoo wrote:changes : tracks without straights ie some of the tigher sections on SO_town, or FE_club, first few corners of bwood reverse, FE_gold rev (could even start this one in the pits), even autocross.

another change : permanent judges, possibly even a teamspeak or ventrillo server to be used. so the judges can give better descriptions of why they think someone won (just a suggestion, just typing their name is fine, talking is just a bit more of a rofl)
I pretty much agree, but as a Judge it gets a little troublesome sometimes. The available views make it difficult to judge live especially when something goes a little wrong. Although, the layout of this track with that long straight did contribute to some of the problems. Maybe smaller tracks will make spectating/judging much more appealing, or maybe we could have a system where the judges get a chance to watch a replay of the action if it gets a little wierd.

Did any of you get a chance to watch the replay of the track I made in auto-x? I thought it was a bit small so I could see about making some larger format ones and seeing how they go as well. I think 3-4, maybe 5 max corners should be plenty right?
Bionic

Post by Bionic »

Thanks for a good night guys. It was great fun. Like Hamal said above I recond it could have been easier on a smaller track or at least a smaller section like Blackwood Reverse. Starting at the start finish line ending at the start of the back straight. At least for the guys in the XRT's and XRG's would be left behind. Even a Layout would be good

EDIT: Also it might be feasible to ask one of the other leagues in Japan (If they can speak english) or even in the USA to see how they run their drift battles
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

Ok well that was sooo much fun and i could have easily stayed in longer if i didnt muck up thoes bits (i pretty much link the whole track really smooth) i would LOVE to join the series it would be SSOOO much fun! i have some ideas of the tracks we could use as well

Round 1

Fernbay Gold Rev

From the start finish line to the traintracks / Bridge

Round 2

South City Long Rev

From the 2nd split till the 2nd last corner

Round 3

Somones Autocross track mabey

Round 4

To finish off Black Wood Rev just for old times sake

Also i would like to mention the judges did a great job :)

And one more thing ill start work on my vid on Friday it will have an top overlay bit like in the D1 with Driver name pic of drivers helmet who they are vursing what car they are in and how much horspower it has it should work out well ;)

On thing i am consered about is if we hvae to many wanting to enter then i wouldnt get a go... :( lol so count this as putting my name down for the series ;)

PS: i Also would like to point out that when i pulled away from Taslasas that we were both in the same car in my opinion i shouldnt have to slow down if we are in the same car if he is that far behind i should technicaly win (and yes i had plenty of angle :P)

and ONE more thing ive got a name for the series A.S.S.S Australians Sliding Sideways Series :P
Last edited by Mr.Ferret on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I actually had fun! :D

Cant beleive my first round was against gusto! :faint:
Even though I lost, it was my best run on that section EVER. It felt really good so I was happy.

It all worked out anyway as I couldnt stay due to the big storm overhead. I did manage to come back and see the final race though, so it wasnt all bad.

Well done to the winners and to everyone who participated :)
Steve
---
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

EDIT: Double post :(
Last edited by nutty on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Smaller tracks seem the way to go,

I like the name AustralAsian Drifting :)

As for the tracks, Mr.Ferret has a good list Gold Rev (or black) will be used, GREAT section

I want to use KY Nat, its got some great drift corners (I like the first corner, in both foward and reverse)

KNAPPO is going to do some layouts to make it more compition friendly.

I got my pc going, for real this time.. so im going to do some running around and find out the tracks, then ill announce the comp using Hz-Lab seeding system (unless someone has a bettter idea)

It will start early 2006.
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

After watching the replay, I hadn't realised I was getting the rears out in the dirt on the first corner :yes:
I reckon the three-way battle was extremely exciting - if one car spins or goes off, there's still two left to battle it out.
Hamal

Post by Hamal »

GustoAU wrote:After watching the replay, I hadn't realised I was getting the rears out in the dirt on the first corner :yes:
I reckon the three-way battle was extremely exciting - if one car spins or goes off, there's still two left to battle it out.
Exciting maybe, but a complete pain in the butt to judge.
samoo

Post by samoo »

http://samoo.customer.netspace.net.au/drift/
Theres a few pics there showing the start and finish locations of tracks i reckon we should use in the series.

SO-sprint2 starts at the start/finish line, and finishes on the back straight just after the uphill left hander.

FE-Club starts just under the banner that goes over the track, thru the tight right hander, downhill thru the chicane, and stopping on the main straight

FE-goldREV starts at the start/finish line, stopping just before you go under the bridge.

Kyoto-gpREV starts just after the really light right hander (first corner). You drift thru the tight corners there and finish.

All the sections of track i posted there have no long straights what so ever, and also are very short. Personally I think short sections are better, as it makes for closer drifting, and a faster competition.

edit: of course you could also use the first 4 corners of bwood reverse too, starting on the start/finish line. I like that a lot, but there is some largeish straight sections.
samoo_
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Nice, ill have a look @ those soon.

by the way norbs was nice enough to give us our own section, so all futher talk on drifting will take place in there

http://arse.norbtech.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=38

:)
Talasas

Post by Talasas »

Congrats to Gusto for the win.

It was great fun but there are certainly some things that need tweaking. That track was too long and had too many straights. There was too much to wait, perhaps if we use a layout we can have people who aren't drifting in spectate mode while they wait, that way Judges can just Tab between the two cars. Limit the judges to three persons who aren't competing (again removes bias).

I do have some complaints about the judging, people claiming they didn't see the other person's run namely, this isn't fair on the other person as it draws bias. Again this can be rectified with the two cars on the track only system.

The last one is points allocation, I find it strange that so many people lost points because of one error and yet they did very well for 95% of the course. I'm not sure how this goes for fixing but it would give more credit where it is due. Perhaps the 10 point system would call for closer races and also allow for more credit to be due to those who make a good effort. This obviously goes without saying that if someone spins out on their own accord that's points lost on their own account but I think where both cars are involved there could be:

a) credit given for actually WAITING for the car behind you (and the other person then equally respecting this rule by not ramming up the ass of the person in front or using it to make a pass - this happened a lot, particularly with one racer who shall remain unmentioned (you know who you are)).

b) credit given/taken for how that person behaves in their role, i.e car in behind respects the pace of the car in front if they are slower and only makes their move when they are TOTALLY sure that they can pass. NO PASSING ON STRAIGHTS! This also then says that making a pass is not the ONLY way to win the battle as so many tried and failed.

Overall I'm very happy with how this went and I put my hand up for the composition of the official rules if there is a panel needed. I'd love to be in every single race from here on be it a judge or a candidate. :yes: Well done to all who organised it.
In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Hamal

Post by Hamal »

Talasas wrote:I do have some complaints about the judging, people claiming they didn't see the other person's run namely, this isn't fair on the other person as it draws bias. Again this can be rectified with the two cars on the track only system.
I love the two cars on the track system, I was too worried about tabbing playing a guessing game to find the next car. Let's make sure we have those layouts organised!

As for not being able to see the other persons run, well that is pretty much a side-effect of the large track. Often I couldn't see the lead cars drift through the last corner as I was always focussing on the trailing car. However, with that said it was usually a case of poor performance/accidents that caused that to happen. I just made the rule that if the lead car got too far away then the trailing car was simply too slow to be considered a viable winner.

This was really only an issue with this track though. It was good to see a few people hold back going into the last corner and trust me, those who held back got credit for it.
petey

Post by petey »

Hamal wrote:I just made the rule that if the lead car got too far away then the trailing car was simply too slow to be considered a viable winner.

I don't like that rule because although it is skilled to drift fast, It stops people from showboating? e.g If they wanted to drift on the straight but the car infront was driving it would leave to big-a-gap and you would have then not given them anything?
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

samoo wrote: FE-goldREV starts at the start/finish line, stopping just before you go under the bridge.
Why stop at under the bridge? there is only a little bit of straight then that awsome double corner :P
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
samoo

Post by samoo »

Mr.Ferret wrote:
samoo wrote: FE-goldREV starts at the start/finish line, stopping just before you go under the bridge.
Why stop at under the bridge? there is only a little bit of straight then that awsome double corner :P
yeah i normally drift that myself, i just thought that short stages would be ideal since theres a 16 person bracket each event.
Hamal wrote:I just made the rule that if the lead car got too far away then the trailing car was simply too slow to be considered a viable winner.
i like that, it rewards fast corner entry and exit speed rather than just popping it out sideways and fishtailing between corners.
Talasas wrote: a) credit given for actually WAITING for the car behind you (and the other person then equally respecting this rule by not ramming up the ass of the person in front or using it to make a pass - this happened a lot, particularly with one racer who shall remain unmentioned (you know who you are)).
I assume you mean me, I didnt see any reason to let off the throttle as i was battling people who were in cars with equal or more power than me, if they cant keep up its not my fault. With that said, this should never arise as an issue again if tighter courses are used.
samoo_
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

double post... move on down
Last edited by Gusto on Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

I drifted slowly as that was the impression the judges communicated to us prior to the event (namely, hamal) would be high scoring. The problem with fast drifting (even though it is great in itself) is that there's usually not enough angle involved, such that it is much more like racing just beyond the limits of grip racing but not fully drifting. imho its a drift competition and not a racing competition, speed shouldn't count, its the distance between the two drivers that's the most interesting part :). As close drifting is much more exciting and much more high scoring than solo drifts, it makes no sense to not slow down on the straights to close the distance. And if there's no overtaking on straights (woops, I forgot that one and stuffed it up! :p ), then slowing down should have no effect on your score (unless you slow down at the end of the straight......).

by the way another change besides only two cars on track, is that if there's only three permanent judges, I'd like to see them have a JUDGE : Name tag in white lettering, so its easy to know what the official judges say and stops unnofficial discussion by spectators from directly impacting the result.

And as samoo said, this shouldn't be a big issue with tighter tracks without straights, but there will always be straights somewhere...
samoo

Post by samoo »

GustoAU wrote:I drifted slowly as that was the impression the judges communicated to us prior to the event (namely, hamal) would be high scoring. The problem with fast drifting (even though it is great in itself) is that there's usually not enough angle involved, such that it is much more like racing just beyond the limits of grip racing but not fully drifting. imho its a drift competition and not a racing competition, speed shouldn't count, its the distance between the two drivers that's the most interesting part :). As close drifting is much more exciting and much more high scoring than solo drifts, it makes no sense to not slow down on the straights to close the distance. And if there's no overtaking on straights (woops, I forgot that one and stuffed it up! :p ), then slowing down should have no effect on your score (unless you slow down at the end of the straight......).

by the way another change besides only two cars on track, is that if there's only three permanent judges, I'd like to see them have a JUDGE : Name tag in white lettering, so its easy to know what the official judges say and stops unnofficial discussion by spectators from directly impacting the result.
some good points there, might have to change the way i drive for the next event.
samoo_
Tofuboi

Post by Tofuboi »

I was really impressed with the way people performed on the evening...

I, myself thought I did quite well, especially when I saw how close I got to Shaun when i tried to attack on the outside, which is classed by spoon that I had 'balls'. :rofl:

But yeah, I saw that I did not actually hit him! But I was less than about 2cm away! I mean jeez! lol

But I think i'll stick to judging i think, I had fun judging this one after i got knocked out and took over spoon's judging post.
"No matter how fast the car in front goes around a corner, I should be able to do the same!" - Takumi Fujiwara
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

hopefully my connection will be a bit better for the next one :no:
It's been nice, chaps.
Tofuboi

Post by Tofuboi »

Takumi wrote:hopefully my connection will be a bit better for the next one :no:

Yeah that was a real bummer, I thought you could be the one you know, you did REALLY well in your first run.

You were my hero! Pulling the trend for all the hachi-roku's out there! :D LOL
"No matter how fast the car in front goes around a corner, I should be able to do the same!" - Takumi Fujiwara
samoo

Post by samoo »

samoo wrote:http://samoo.customer.netspace.net.au/drift/
Theres a few pics there showing the start and finish locations of tracks i reckon we should use in the series.
stupid me, i couldve just posted layouts

which i have!

at that address, layouts of the exact start/finish lines on the courses i htink would be great.

Because of the start points only fitting one person, it just means the person whos going to lead, leaves the pits first, then drives forward one car length so the chaser can join the race.

edit: I hosted a drift server today, running hte SO3 layout, and it got great feedback, someone even gave me his msn and asked me to send the layout :yes:
samoo_
Hamal

Post by Hamal »

PeTeY wrote:I don't like that rule because although it is skilled to drift fast, It stops people from showboating? e.g If they wanted to drift on the straight but the car infront was driving it would leave to big-a-gap and you would have then not given them anything?
I know, and in a perfect system I would have taken all that into account. Unfortunately, the spectating system we were using just isn't flexible enough. They were just too far off the screen while I was following the trailing car. We really need to sort out some kind of judging system that can accomodate this. Personally I think the judges should be allowed to replay the race from both views if need be (but only if need be). Shorter layouts and having only two people on the track at any one time will help of course. I just had to make a hard and fast rule to suit the circumstances and unfortunately, speed is a requirement and dropping back (usually through driver error) far enough for the lead car to be out of the field of view is a pretty large sign of the way things are going.