Automatic drift points

AustralAsian Drifting forum. LFS drifters.
Tracker

Automatic drift points

Post by Tracker »

i was in a euro/usa server and it had automaic drift points allocated by server anyone seen this?
may be worth looking into for the drift comps not sure how good it works as it was on oval track and i was in bf1 not a drift friendly car
Life is like a grindstone - whether it grinds you down or polishes you up depends on what you're made of.
You only need two tools.WD-40 and Duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't use the tape.
petey

Post by petey »

Yep i've played on a Demo Server that used InSim to get drift points on angle/speed . It was obviously on blackwood.

It used waypoints every meter or more in places, and it got your angle speed and stuff like that, and allocated points.

Was very kool.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

If you guys find what program was doing it ill install it on AADRift.
eek
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

its called LFSLapper
Hello :aussie:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

>> http://monkster.hopto.org/~janez/LFSLap ... apper.html

you drifters want it ??

Acerlyte ??
eek
petey

Post by petey »

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

pixelboy wrote:you drifters want it ??

Acerlyte ??
WOW, this sounds super cool. Ide love to try this as i havnt before :yes:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
t0fu

Post by t0fu »

oh god no...
petey

Post by petey »

lol, well that was a constructive post tofu.

Why god no ?
t0fu

Post by t0fu »

lol. time to explain. :P

from the times that i've seen it in demo (ie. basically every drift server on it), this thing brings nothing but trouble. it might be different in S2 due to the fact that most people arent concerned about being mad tyte drift score kings on the servers, but i still dont think it'd be a good idea.

first and foremost, the lag. even on good servers, the amount of lag just becomes uncontrolable due to the fact that InSim is recording stuff every second of the time you're on the track. dunno what type of server or connection you got going, but i'd be surprised if a server of around 10 people doesnt lag badly when on the track.

secondly, i think that everyone that plays in these servers are simply drifting to get the best score. and that includes "cheating" basically -- going backwards around the track to record more than one laps worth of drifting, using the grass to carry more angle through the straight, etc. etc. to me, it just draws away from "real" drifting and just makes it tacky, with people doing stupid crap that you'd never see anywhere else just so they can brag about it because they stole the first place score from someone doing it legitimately. thats probably my biggest argument with it.

dont be afraid to try it out though, don't get me wrong. you guys might even like it. but for me, its one of the stupidest addons in LFS right now. hence the reason why you dont see it anywhere else except demo. in the end though its your decision, so dont take my advice too heavily. ;)
petey

Post by petey »

Well what if we were doin it in a controlled environment with controlled runs, 1 at a time, watched by the server, to see who could get the best score.

= No cheating

= Minimum lag

= Fun

No?
t0fu

Post by t0fu »

the whole "drift scoring" thing doesnt make much sense to me. i've always preferred someones opinion on how a run went rather than the calculation of the speed divided by the angle blah blah blah blah to decide who was best. that's just personal opinion, though.
Acerlyte

Post by Acerlyte »

pixelboy wrote:>> http://monkster.hopto.org/~janez/LFSLap ... apper.html

you drifters want it ??

Acerlyte ??
Hmm, well it does sound pretty good but I am a little worried about the points t0fu is bringing up in regards to lag and so forth. On casual nights it would be a hinderence but on comp nights PERHAPS it could be useful. Whilst I couldn't drift my way out of a paper bag, I certainly enjoyed my night last night and I think having a points system going during casual runs or being forced to run once at a time to use it properly would ruin things. Heck, we changed to the SO2R layout which forced one person per run and everyone wanted to just run on the normal track instead!

So I am against it for casual drifting but maybe we could trial for competition? Maybe we can setup a one off event to give it a go and if everyone is happy enough with it then we could make something bigger out of it. Was the earlier AAD comp nights judged by judges? If so how did that work out for everyone? It would certainly be a bit more of an achievement on a personal level to win the respect of others than just get the highest score. Wouldn't mind hearing other people's responses on this :)
t0fu

Post by t0fu »

AAD was odd... the first night we had a huge turnout. same with the second round (i think). then something happened with judging or something and the admins decided to take a closer look at how the competition was actually being done, in terms of judging and stuff. the comp took a bit of a stop and came back a few weeks later.

sadly, after consulting with the drivers and the judges, and after we had pretty much ironed out the bugs, no one really wanted to take part in it. so if anything, the less serious it is, the more likely people are going to turn up, so keep that in mind.

however, using judges in a drift competition is a no-brainer -- you simply cant rely on that script to do the judging for you, due to the fact that it is easily cheated and "fixed".
petey

Post by petey »

Yea fair enough.

But if it was to be incorporated. How about the normal tv voting system.

Where it counts for 1/3 of your score and the judges get 2/3s ?

thats if it was incorporated into anything.
t0fu

Post by t0fu »

PeTeY wrote:Yea fair enough.

But if it was to be incorporated. How about the normal tv voting system.

Where it counts for 1/3 of your score and the judges get 2/3s ?

thats if it was incorporated into anything.
worth a shot. only thing i could see it doing is really aiding the judges -- im sure theres a way to show the angle/speed of the drift to the entire server instead of just to the one player that completes it. i'm sure that'd be more useful. we'd probably have to have a few test nights before you guys can decide what you want to use if you decide to run a series or whatever.

i always thought that this script could be used to make a cool plugin -- like one of those DriftBox things, that shows the angle of the car in real-time onscreen. that'd be something that i'd use! :)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

t0fu wrote:
sadly, after consulting with the drivers and the judges, and after we had pretty much ironed out the bugs, no one really wanted to take part in it. so if anything, the less serious it is, the more likely people are going to turn up, so keep that in mind.
i think it was more a case of (especially in my opinion) lack of consistency, the rules were all over the place, changed one week to the other, i know it was necessary to sort a system out, but i sorta just thought "meh, i'll come back when it's all ironed out", and i think it was the same for most.

I reckon when a solid system is in place then you'll see more interest again, its one of those things where your only ever gonna please at most 60% of the competitors, i think maybe trying to please them all should take a back seat, lock in some guidelines and stick to them. People will conform to them, have a little whinge here and there, then get over it..lol. Lets face it, regardless of rules, gettin a car sideways is always fun.
racemania

Post by racemania »

hi all if you were wondering about the lapper system then jump on my server in s2 its called <DRFT> SERVER 2

i always run lapper and it seems verry good.
the lag is not caused by lapper from what i can see i run an 8ppl server from my house and i get no lag at all i think when its up as demo the lag becomes bigger because you get ppl in there using all kinds of internet programes.

i for 1 dont get lag and only get few complaints about lag (ussally because somone is getting a high ping jumps on my server and causes it to lag)

atm im on 128upload and a 512 download so my ip is slow but stable at all times

thanks racemania
Got s2 and loving it

find me here HERE
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

I used this system a few weeks back on a demo drift server... Its pretty easy to exploit once you look at how it works... Doing Manji's down the straight helps alot as well :lol: That said I saw people getting 8000 points with the GTi while I was getting 2000 with the XRT... I have a feeling it might have been because of the lag / them almost timing out but who knows. You also dont have to do a "good drift (i.e hit the apex), you just have to be sideways for as long as possible etc. In that respect you would need another judge. The 1/3, 2/3 idea sounds good to me.

I downloaded it straight after being on the server and it looks to be very modifiable as well, could easily tune it for a specific event. [can change the angles, min speed, etc]. I might have a fiddle with it and see what It can do :)

In the end I think its alot of fun, but it does lead to "dodgy" drifting. Always trying to push the limits and "exploit" it.
petey

Post by petey »

Yea it would have to be used under supervision, because of people trying to exploit it, i know for instance if you just hop onto the grass at blackwood and hang it out at 80 you can get massive points because of the rears spinning so bad.