GTR2 ported to Linux

GTR1 & 2, GT Legends etc
J.D.
Rat

GTR2 ported to Linux

Post by J.D. »

With Wine it apparently works very well on Ubuntu. Having just moved to Linux and with GPL being Linux ported, this is a fantastic development. Now, if someone could get GEM2 to run in a Linux environment...
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: GTR2 ported to Linux

Post by w00dsy »

i did the Linux thing for a while but i just can't find a reason why it's better than Windows. I got a few games running under Cedega but they just didn't work the same. There is always a lot of effort and fiddling to get windows stuff working in Linux. I find it a fun OS to fiddle around with but i found it frustrating the few times i decided to use it as my main OS. I kind of also have an issue with using windows programs in another OS. I would always read on ubuntu forums about people using utorrent, photoshop and msn messenger etc under wine, if your going to use Linux just use linux programs otherwise you might as well use windows.

sorry Linux rant over, i hope you have fun with GPL and GTR2 :)
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Hey, no worries. I just added it in case others wanted to try it. I've been using Linux for all my internet related stuff and also for some of my university work. I have found that, as an operating system with a few add ons, it basically rocks. I'd dearly love to blow my Windows system away but there will still be times when I will need it. I don't see myself trying to run Photoshop in a Linux environment.

Truth is, I probably missed the Linux bus. Ubuntu is a very easy system to use and presents relatively few challenges. The older ones like Red Hat and Mandrake were out and out geekware, at least as far as I was concerned. I wasn't prepared to try it until Linux actually became a practical alternative but I probably could have learned a lot from those earlier iterations.

One thing I'm unlikely to get involved in is the Windows hate campaign conducted by some of the Linux snobs. You can always pick 'em: they're the ones who spell it "Windoze". I like Linux - and I even use it - but in the end, it's just an operating system.

Your avatar looks like it's about to break into a chorus of "I Got You Babe"...

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Linux is great fun, i had a ball with it when i got bored with XP and waiting for Vista. I still like it but i found there wasn't anything i couldn't already do with Windows. I started as a KDE fan and then through ubuntu slowly got into the simplicity of Gnome. But i hate the orange-brown of ubuntu. I was more a kubuntu guy. A couple of things i love about ubuntu is how nicely it renders fonts, it kills windows in that regard, it makes browsing the net a pleasure. It also never got bloated over time like windows. I agree with the windows haters, it drives me mad that people get so uptight about a company that they most likely never even paid to use their products.

the avatar is Bruce from Family Guy. He's a little soft.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I got rid of the orange/brown and went blue instead. Looks more like a Mac now... :bigeyes:

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

yeah i did the same. Hydroxygen icons and blubuntu theme.