Speedy internet!

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Speedy internet!

Post by r8response »

wabbit wrote:I wonder if they're still running with that rule where if your connection hits a good peak speed within a 24 hour period, they're happy.
Yes.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

If there was ever a example of "the Devils in the details" :D
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Well seems my half arsed FTTN is almost ready and I guess it will be better than the 12mb ADSL I currently get.

Who are people recommending for NBN these days?

Anyone using Aussie Broadband? I've heard good things about them..
eek
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Was Unlimited ADSL2+ for years, with a max 15-18/1Mbit/s.. on a good day. Now NBN(Fiber to the Node, VDSL) paying for 100/40Mbps.

Was offered 12/1Mbps, with free boost to 25/5Mbps for 6 months, and went straight for the top stuff.. call center person was speachless and was still trying to pitch me the free offer, then it sank in.. was not expexcted. Said, have a look at my current plan.. there was a Oh, ohh moment.

Faster and cheaper then my old ADSL2+ plan. As there are no regional pricing.

Last page, I listed the plans/speeds for Dodo at the time, all pretty much the same internet.. just differnt named providers with NBN.. so go for one that has the best package deal that suits you..

Been on NBN for almost 3 months, 27th-27th.
1,775,736 MB + 927,279 MB = 2,703,015 MB
979,405 MB + 1,618,112 MB = 2,597,517 MB
291,975 MB + 624,989 MB = 916,964 MB

I have not had any issues and conection uptime on the modem/router is over 30days, UPS conected.

Atm, line rates. Which are higher then a number of other people on the island that I know of with equivalent plan.
Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 27327
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 59951
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 27232
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 62421
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I think Internode is still the best, they don't oversell their connection too badly and their support is second to none (you talk to a technically able person!).
But they maybe sliding a bit now that iinet - and subsequently TPG - has acquired them.
Skymesh looked good at some point, but I've looked for ftth providers.

I suggest trying to troll whirlpool a bit, they're still a good source of a general sentiment and problems.

I'm not on fttn, so I can't comment on that part. But I guess it's as good as your distance to the node is, for 'maximum' speed, then the providers' overale ratio is the next bottleneck.
I'm on a ftth unlimited 100/40 plan for $110 or so. No complaints.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Oh ya, forgot to mention my monthly for 100/40Mbps and home phone is $100.
Only time I have talked to sale/tech is them notifing me that NBN was availible and saying 'Yes' to switch over.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Ok some might not know of the lawsuit over the NBN. Anyone changed to the lower speed and cost or have most kept the slightly faster speed at higher cost?

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/internet ... pensation/
Are you entitled to compensation over NBN speeds?

Few snips generally most are getting something back.
Telstra NBN Compensation
Over half (26,000) of FTTN (fibre to the node) customers on the top 100/40 speed tier could not achieve these speeds. Nearly 10,000 of them could not even achieve half the advertised speeds (50/20) which meant they were paying for a premium service they were not getting.

Optus NBN Compensation
The ACCC found nearly half of the customers on the ‘Boost Max’ plan could not reach 100/40 speeds, and 21% could not even reach half that speed.
Over a quarter of customers on the 50/20 speed tier could not achieve these speeds.

TPG NBN Compensation
Between 1 September 2015 and 30 June 2017 TPG sold NBN plans advertising up to 100/40 speeds.
TPG previously described its top tier NBN plan as ‘Seriously Fast Internet: Up to 100Mbps’, but over 60% of customers had signed up to this plan with TPG knowing they could not reach those speeds.
Of these customers, about a third could not even receive half these speeds.

iiNet and Internode Compensation
iiNet advertised, “Up to 100Mbps. This is our fastest option and is sure to impress,” while Internode advertised “NBN Platinum: Up to 100/40Mbps”.
Customers will have the option to lower their speed tier with a refund or to exit their plan at no cost.

Dodo, iPrimus and Commander Compensation
All three telcos were found by the ACCC to have misleading claims on their websites about its NBN 100 plans.
The consumer watchdog found 70% of Dodo and iPrimus top tier NBN customers could not achieve 100/40 speeds, while 83% of Commander customers could not.
Of which most are giving 3 options

1, Change plan and get a refund for the rest of the contract term.
2, Change provider and refund. Still may not hit the advertised speeds.
3, Stay on the same plan.
Last edited by wobblysauce on Thu May 17, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I was meant to get said speedy internets some time this year. Your post made me check my address again.

Result: Planned availability: Progressively from Jan-Jun 2020*.

LMFAO!!!!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Wow, really? How do you find your internet atm? same as it has always been or a bit hit and miss with inconsistency...

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Speedy internet!

Post by DexterPunk »

It was available in my area, now it’s not again. I was maxing out the time I had to switch... because I really would rather stay with my 100mbit cable.

Apparently won’t be available again till the end of the year. So what Im wondering is, how long do I have after that? Does the clock start ticking again from where it stopped? I think we had 12 or 18 months initially to switch? Hoping that starts all over again.

I really hope something like 5G home broadband is launched before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Know a few people that are just using their phones as the Wifi spot...

It sure isn't cable but better than most ADSL.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Wouldn’t really be able to keep home internet under my 16GB data... after actually using my phone for things it’s more like 8GB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Yep, true that is more for normys...

Been trying to look through most company plans but just see revised Max speed plans, and no mention of if you can get over that speed or it is a cap.

12/ 1, same.
25/ 5, same.
50/20, is the option if you can not hit the higher tier.
100/40, for the small few that can hit it on FttN/P, or keep the current plan being in the middle area.

So it all depends on what side of the middle you are on, like me getting about 60/25avg, might move to 50/20 just depends on the value I place on the extra 10/5. Prior to that gap from 25/5 to 100/40 was a big difference.

Whereas others in the 70-80's/30-35 area might just keep what that have paid at the higher rate. Being that the 20-30/10-15 extra is worth it.

Also depending on the age of the house/building you are in it might be advised to have your internal phone line looked at as if you have multiple line spots to get them replaced to the main line to your modem then split from there back to the walls. A number of people have had improvements with the FTTN/VDSL2 from new in-home cabling.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

You can actually get higher speeds now from a couple of providers - but of course, only on fttp. 150/100 and 250/100 (mbps).
I've tested it with Aussiebroadband, they had a free month testing, and the speeds were decent ( max ~10% off the promised). It is also very nice that you can build your own plan according to your needs.

Sadly, I had an issue they couldn't sort out, but otherwise a very nice bunch.

This isn't requiring any new equipment on the endpoint, switching is as easy as. You can even keep 2 connections at a time, and just plug another ethernet cable into the box and use either or both.

So this is what malcolm & co have fucked up for nearly everyone here.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

wobblysauce wrote:Wow, really? How do you find your internet atm? same as it has always been or a bit hit and miss with inconsistency...
Speed wise its more then adequate for what we are using, hasn't changed. Can have a few streams going and no buffering, cant recall my home speeds. I wasnt really worried about NBN as currently it just works for our daily needs.

I dont download torrents these days so dont care about uber speed. Only time it stands in the way is if a game needs updating and the update is a few GB and I want to jump online to play. I just turn the PC on when I get home if im planning a night of gaming and its all updated by the time I need it so it doesn't catch me out.

Uploads suck but meh.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Yep, Aussiebroadband has some nice things going for it and is different with there ads.

25/5 & 50/20 are the same price now under the new offerings, $4 more between the 2 for unlimited, so most would pay the extra even if they do not get the full speed bump, but the Avg $20 for 50/20 & 100/40 not so much and there is a drop going from the higher plans Australia wide. 9% in Dec, 8% in March.

Then you got NZ(which is smaller/easier to hook up) have $99 gig speed plans, though most are around the 900/500 unlimited.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

KNAPPO wrote:I was meant to get said speedy internets some time this year. Your post made me check my address again.

Result: Planned availability: Progressively from Jan-Jun 2020*.

LMFAO!!!!
Same for me. Was supposed to be HFC early 2018. Now it's FTTC 2020 :(

Contemplating switching to cable for 2 years but not sure it's worth it just for faster game downloading/updating. What I've got is good enough for everything else.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I would just like something reliable.

Our internet has been fucked for 6 months or more.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Norbs, about your footer...I wanted to ask you before; what's "sarcgasm" ? :D
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

ysu wrote:Norbs, about your footer...I wanted to ask you before; what's "sarcgasm" ? :D

LOL

Wow. I did that years and years ago, and when i saw it I thought "I'll leave it and wait for the pedants to pick it up" :yes: :yes: :yes: :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

We received a notice saying a technician will be inspecting the strata property some time in the next 2 weeks. I guess the 2020 date is a placeholder and the actual ETA is NFI.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Some time between now and never...

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Imagine the possibilities when I finally get on this network

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I got a letter last Friday from Telstra saying FTTC was now available. Today I got a phone call arranging a date to have it connected. I was a bit shocked as I was going to wait until next year before even thinking about this. But recently I aligned my plan to swap from ADSL2+ to NBN seamlessly. We do have issues with the lines in this street so I wonder if Telstra have just said fuck it, not fixing it, swap them. So the 11th of January I shall be connected and I should have the gear late next week or the week after.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Dr. Pain wrote: We do have issues with the lines in this street so I wonder if Telstra have just said fuck it, not fixing it, swap them.
They probably don't care. It's the NBN's responsibility to maintain the network.

FTTC will be a nice change.