Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by DexterPunk »

Awesome. Work has approved the purchase. hopefully I'll put in the order next week. Thanks again for the info Cursed.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

:yes:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Any idea where you track the shipment? It's been sent, but the tracking number they provided doesn't seem to return any results on UPS site, or AusPost. I've tried a site that searches carries based on the tracking number format, and it's come up with nothing as well. Perhaps it hasn't had it's first scan or something to enter the system? I got an email that it was on it's way last night at around 9pm, and didn't check till this morning at 9am. I'd have thought it would have had it's initial scan within 12 hours.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Try FedEx. Also, it can take 24 hours to show up in tracking anyway.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Ah that's got it. Thanks for that. Coming from Hong Kong. Should arrive by Monday. Awesome.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Arrived today. IT hasn't upgraded the system at work, so all I could do is stair at it while it mocked me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Hope it survived all those steps. Man, it's brand new, take care of your things!

(sorry, couldn't help myself!)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Took me a second to work out what you were on about. My bad.

Still sitting here... not able to be used. :( This is day 3. It's more painful than waiting for a thing to arrive.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

It is a nice box at least.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah it really is.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

What upgrades are you waiting for? If the system has USB3 ports and an HDMI port available you may be able to plug it in at least. I think the Oculus home screen will just have a message on it that you don't meet recommended system minimums.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Waiting on a graphics card an PSU from IT. It's on order and they estimated it would all be here 'early in the week'. No word as yet. I'll bug them later today if there's still no word. I need time to work out how to get a model into Unity and working on the Rift for the Uni open day. I guess I could get started on Unity itself but i'd rather it all up and running.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Well finally got it up and running this arvo about an hour before the end of the day. Too tempting, took it home for the weekend. Wait and see if it will run on an R9 280x I guess.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

SteamVR is saying it failed to initialise and then in red says Compositor not available.

What does this mean? I've googled a fair bit but everything seems to be for the Vive. People talking about the HMD not being plugged into the primary card etc. I don't have onboard vid so can't be that.

Any help would be great! :)

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Have you installed Oculus home and run through the configuration steps? SteamVR passes through to the Oculus SDK so if that's not working then neither will SteamVR.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah sorry I should have posted again last night. I was having way too much fun. I got it going. Yeah I had oculus home working. I grabbed the latest Radeon drivers and all was good.

By the way, you can use an oculus on an r9 280x. Not perfectly, but it works.

I went out and grabbed a gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 Gaming this morning anyway.

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

That's awesome Dex. So does the 1060 do the job for VR & how much stuff do you have to turn down?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'd say it will do the job fine. Since I was driving DiRT rally with everything maxed out on the r9 280x and it was slow in spots but still ok. I'll see if I can do a bit of a benchmark with War Thunder, DiRT and Assetto Corsa with both cards. I don't plan on turning anything down on the 1060 though.

I'm sure these thousand dollar cards are much faster though.

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

IDF 2016: Keynote Live Blog
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10569/idf ... -live-blog

Intel announces Project Alloy, an all-in-one VR headset No computer or smartphone required.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/16/int ... r-headset/
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

It's just that start of a new market... things are going to escalate quickly!
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Pokemon go nuts
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Fun times..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Got the Rift yesterday, is it normal to have a kind of blurry edge to everything and be very difficult to focus on one thing? It kind of feels like eyes aren't in the right location or something. not lens related, they are set right.

Bloody awesome for racing. The difficulty focusing on things is annoying though.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm not sure, it's hard to know exactly what you're seeing. If you are sure you have the IPD 100% correct then try moving it up and down, there's a very small sweet spot in terms of horizontal position. I have the straps etc pretty spot on now but when I first put it on I still need to play a little up & down to get it just right.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Spend the time to find that sweet spot. You'll know when you have it all lined up properly when you can see the screen-door effect pretty clearly. Close one eye and line up the headset to give as clear an image as possible, then fiddle with the IPD and placement on your head for the other eye. If you're in Oculus home, use the Oculus button on the remote, then there's a setting on the right hand side of the screen you're presented with that gives you a cross-hair to help align the headset right.

If the screen door is clear but the image still looks fuzzy, then you need to look at game settings. E.g. AC was horrible for post-processing and anti-aliasing settings making the image overly soft, although I believe that might have been alleviated in a recent patch.

Secondly, how is your vision of objects at about 1.5m away? I've read that that is the distance that the oculus optics project the image at. Maybe you're getting old and need specs or contacts.