Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Scottie

Oculus Rift

Post by Scottie »

http://www.oculusvr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just stumbled upon this...

There's only 2 other mentions of this in the forums, and after checking out the site, I think it needs it's own space.

I've just for 3 screens for the first time and already it looks like it'll be obsolete in a year or so! Imagine if iRacing supported this!!! :faint:
pab

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by pab »

They (iRacing) have said they've ordered two of the develpoer's kits.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I rarely lust after tech but I want one of these so bad. It's making me hold off going triple monitors, for which I'd need a new system as well.

I'm tempted to order a dev kit and tell iRacing I'll help them test but I'd hate to buy one and have it superseded by a retail version soon after.

mojang seem to have forgotten about a media embargo in their excitement :)

http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/02/18/mine ... ox10x-3275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

now this would save space, $$$ and the experience would be ultra pantie wetting.... Gimme Gimme :nod:
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I've recently bought a dev kit, I just couldn't help myself lol :shake:

They've stated that the retail version won't come until there is enough software/games which makes sense but it could mean it's another year or so from release. Seeing iRacing have two dev kits on the way I just couldn't bare to wait any more than absolutely necessary to experience the level of immersion the Oculus will give iRacing. It's the final piece of the puzzle for me.
They're aiming for the retail version to also be around the $300 mark which won't hurt the bank too much to upgrade to in another year or so.

I'm in the third batch or something, when I ordered May was the expected ship date, the first lot are expected to go out by the end of this month.

Can't wait but I'm trying to keep a lid on it as I'm expecting an absolute minimum of two months before I'll get it. Then it also depends on how long iRacing take to implement (at this point I'm blindly believing there is no doubt they will :D )
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Let us know how you get on Sarsi! If you have some luck with iRacing, I'm sure me and a few of the guys would be up for making the switch!
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Yes, if they implement it in iRacing properly, that would be really, really cool.

How much was the dev hit Sars if you don't mind me asking?
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

This all sound great, but speaking to Knappo, how will one see or visual his wheel buttons and on board car adjustments if you have these head goggles on... Its a great concept but i think a few things need to be considered or have they?
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

MADCAP wrote:This all sound great, but speaking to Knappo, how will one see or visual his wheel buttons and on board car adjustments if you have these head goggles on... Its a great concept but i think a few things need to be considered or have they?
need a transparent bottom! :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

HAHAHAHAHAA
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I think racing sims would be fine as I rarely need to look at the wheel and they should still be able to have the on screen displays. fps games are more of a problem. In the press demos they've been using gamepads to move around which would take care of the other controls as well, but I don't know how well it would work trying to aim with head movement. Probably better than using the stick on a gamepad, but surely not as good/quick as a mouse.

The dev kit is $300, but how much was shipping?
https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pab

Post by pab »

I can imagine pretty quickly getting used to using buttons by feel. One thing that I'm wondering about is if Rift compatible game makers will need to include some form of communication system for those outside the game to contact you. Imagine I'm driving along using my Rift and headphones, and with SimVibe shaking the cockpit as I hit the bumps. Very immersive, but then imagine my wife arrives home with the kids and she needs to talk to me. Getting a tap on the shoulder will scare the hell out of us (even more so if I'm racing late at night once the family is in bed)! I reckon we'll need the ability to setup a key or button that allows people to talk to us inside the game via a second mic so that we can be eased out of the virtual world if need be.
PB
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I don't really see the appeal for FPS as your character is moving around and like others have said, for aiming accurately, it would be a PITA. But for games where you are grounded to a spot, a racing seat, then I think it has huge potential. Looking towards the apex of a corner, looking left and right for cars at your side. That, to me, would be awesome. Like others, I think you would learn where things are by feel. I certainly would be willing to compromise on something like that for the immersion it would provide.
pab

Post by pab »

Yep, it's going to be absolutely huge for sim racing!
PB
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

People touch type, it is no different.

Where you look and Aim are not always the same.

I agree on the point of the cockpit/mounted uses.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I can imagine that this would not be 'aiming', rather a free-look device. (if it was aiming, it'd be rather like steering in a sim with head movements...not very smart)
So you still aim with the mouse, move with the keyboard, but you can look around - somewhat like you do with trackIR. If you haven't tried it yet, you should, it makes it rather hard to drive or shoot accurately ...there maybe a learning curve, but I did not want to wait it out. :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

MADCAP wrote:This all sound great, but speaking to Knappo, how will one see or visual his wheel buttons and on board car adjustments if you have these head goggles on... Its a great concept but i think a few things need to be considered or have they?
A DSD button box should fix that :)
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

ysu, This is why there is a Dev kit, some games could be played that way, while others not so much and give people motion sickness, with no point of fixed reference for balance.

This development of viewing + a new style of controller interface are yet to be seen, pros and cons on most things where this goes in a few years will be very interesting.

Having been a long time user of TrackIR, it can be good when you set it up correctly on games that can make use it, others not so much. But this is the time we wait and see..

Side note, would be nice to have a lower power bill using something like this. running a smaller device then the multi screen setups some people have.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I have a Track IR unit but found it sooo odd for sim racing. Mainly the look left and right function as your eyes needed to remain fixed on the screen looking forward. Try and look left or right but keep looking at your screen, feels way too odd to me but head tilting was fine even if you feel like a bit of an idiot simulating g force head tilt whilst sitting still. But looking at apex's just felt weird with a Track IR unit.

But this unit would be freaking awesome. Good point on feeling what keys to press. I use to do the AAL 3hr enduros with all the lights out so I could remain focused and had to put blobs of blue tac on the keyboard keys I was interested in pressing. You quickly find the keys you want ;)

But ive just ordered one of these DSD bad boys so those days are soon to be long gone.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The shipping was $67, USD $367 total but after conversion it cost me $358. The dev kit actually comes with quite a bit of gear packed into a nice little case.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/41223 ... al-reality" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree that simulations are where this will be able to shine immediately but other games will take some reworking. Another issue in FPS games is the speed that the characters move around, TF2 will very shortly have Oculus support but some characters travel at something like 40mph. I think RTS could work ok giving a feeling of floating above world like a god, you could also easily look over at other parts of the map.

In iRacing most stuff can be done with the mouse so I think that will be not too bad, the main thing I see being an issue is the blasted auto selection of tyres and full fuel I have to un-check every time I grid (pet peeve of mine). Is there a way to do this with mouse now as well? Otherwise will just have to feel around the keyboard.
I'm expecting the peripheral vision and the sense of speed to be the big plusses in iRacing, and overall immersion of course. I got the CSP V2 pedals a few weeks ago and it showed me how braking is so much about muscle memory as opposed to having a feel for exactly how fast you're moving.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Anyone remember back in NR2003 days we used to have a voice command program running? We used to press a button on our wheel and then say "fuel" and the F3 screen (or whatever it was) would appear. Could add fuel, tyres etc.

Add that to Oculus and you are set :)
--------------
Stu
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

In iRacing I map next/prev black box to 2 buttons then use a d-pad on the csw to change the settings. If you have a logi wheel you could do that with the d-pad on the shifter. Or you could get one of those DSD button box type things. You can use a mouse as well, but buttons would be a lot easier.
pab

Post by pab »

Bauer wrote:Anyone remember back in NR2003 days we used to have a voice command program running? We used to press a button on our wheel and then say "fuel" and the F3 screen (or whatever it was) would appear. Could add fuel, tyres etc.

Add that to Oculus and you are set :)
Yeah, if you search through the forums there are all sorts of threads about guys creating profiles for these voice control things, they can even map a series of button presses to a single voice command, so you could setup eveything you need for the start of the race with a single voice command. I never got around to trying it, but sounds great.
PB
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

IRacing user has setup a glove pie script to do just that

Sent from my GT-i9100 using Tapatalk 2
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

KNAPPO wrote:I have a Track IR unit but found it sooo odd for sim racing. Mainly the look left and right function as your eyes needed to remain fixed on the screen looking forward. Try and look left or right but keep looking at your screen, feels way too odd to me but head tilting was fine even if you feel like a bit of an idiot simulating g force head tilt whilst sitting still. But looking at apex's just felt weird with a Track IR unit.
I agree with you on the racing, as most have the use of Apex view with the steering turn in.

One thing i think is going to happen, the user interfacing is going to shrink compared to the normal view, as you have more FOV.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ