Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
renesis37

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by renesis37 »

Anyone tried to record some racing? I had a go at recording iRacing with the GeForce Experience and it doesn't look the best.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Unfortunately iracing doesn't crop the mirror to make it fill the screen so you can't get good resolution from it. Seems the best way at the moment is to maximize the mirror window then capture a 16:9 region in the middle using OBS, but you can only get about 720p resolution.

I've seen a few posts mentioning that you can set it to borderless window mode and use app.ini to make the window larger to increase the capture resolution, but you wouldn't be able to use the mouse on any UI elements that are off the monitor.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts ... 18052.page

You should be able to get a good capture from Assetto because the mirror view fills the screen.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Thanks Darren. Good idea, I'll give OBS a go.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

What's the best way to watch 3D videos on the Rift? Not long after I got the CV1 I tried to find something but I think I had to either pay for VR Desktop or the other couple programs I found didn't seem to work properly so I didn't bother going any further. Any decent video players now?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Bigscreen is good for flat 3D. It has a fair few environments to choose from, like lounge room, small/large home theater or just a screen with no environment. You just play the video in VLC or whatever you prefer, then in bigscreen go into the display settings and set it to the required 3D mode. I like the way they implemented touch support. When you press the thumb stick button the configuration screen comes up and you can use the other hand as a pointer. They also have a virtual keyboard you can use to type. There's a fair bit you can do with the screens and how they're displayed so it can take a bit of fiddling to find what you need but it's worth figuring it out. It also supports screencasting in multiplayer, so you could play a movie and have a few other people watch with you. It's on steam and Home.

For 180/360 video, DeoVR works well and it's free. It also does flat 3D videos, but as far as I can find it doesn't have an aspect ratio setting. So if it's a full res 3D video it won't work properly. For oculus I think you need to get it from Home. The steamvr version is on their website
http://deovr.com/

Found this one recently for the streaming of gentleman's special interest VR video's, but it looked like they only had short previews.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Ok thanks, I like that, gentleman's special interest videos :)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Oculus have done a price drop which effectively makes the touch controllers free. It's now $649USD for Rift+Touch. $49 for an extra camera. $99USD for Touch.

Used to be $649 for the Rift $219 for touch + $89 for a camera. So it's now $698USD for a room scale setup where it used to cost $957.

Can't seem to buy the HMD on its own direct from Oculus anymore though.
pab

Post by pab »

When you add the $648 package to the shopping cart it comes in as two separate products, the headset itself for $549 and the touch for $99. It looks like it's possible to then remove the touch from the cart to buy just the headset.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Robo-Recall has also rolled out free for touch owners.

I now have to redo my room setup after a couple of hours in Ultrawings has left me floating 10ft off the floor in Oculus Home (apparently due to a bug that's been addressed in the latest update)
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Just had a go of Robo-Recall. It's a lot of fun.

I don't know that there's anything overly unique about it, but I enjoyed what I played of it.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

The price drop was enough for me and my mate at work to jump.. mission accomplished, now we have to waste money on games.
pab

Post by pab »

renesis37 wrote:The price drop was enough for me and my mate at work to jump.. mission accomplished, now we have to waste money on games.
What was the shipping cost on it (I've entered my address in the cart, but it wants me to add payment details without telling me the shipping cost)?
PB
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

renesis37 wrote:The price drop was enough for me and my mate at work to jump.. mission accomplished, now we have to waste money on games.
I'd hazard a guess that you'll be using this new fangled headwear for racing. If so, I'd highly recommend you look at something like https://voiceattack.com/

I don't have to have buttons I can't see mapped for every function. I can just say stuff like "hide apps" and I don't have all those pesky AC apps cluttering my view. If I want to know my tyre temps, "show apps" and it's back again.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Oh I meant the price drop for the touch controllers, already been racing with the rift since October and its awesome.

Shipping cost was $0 ! so was about $130 posted for touch.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Thanks for the suggestion :)
pab

Post by pab »

renesis37 wrote:Oh I meant the price drop for the touch controllers, already been racing with the rift since October and its awesome.

Hmm, I'm wondering if shipping is free. Could be a mistake and worth jumping on perhaps? Was going to buy a little later in the year, but perhaps needs to be asap!
PB
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

They are a great addition.

I didn't think I'd enjoy the touch controllers anywhere near as much as I have.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

pab wrote:
renesis37 wrote:Oh I meant the price drop for the touch controllers, already been racing with the rift since October and its awesome.

Hmm, I'm wondering if shipping is free. Could be a mistake and worth jumping on perhaps? Was going to buy a little later in the year, but perhaps needs to be asap!
It's not a mistake. Shipping has always been free on everything from the Oculus store :)

The only additional cost/fee I had was the foreign currency transaction fee on the credit card, which was 3%.

When I returned my headset they even sent me a shipping label, so I didn't have to pay to ship that back to China either.
pab

Post by pab »

Ah, OK, I seem to remember the final cost being around $150 higher than I had expected once I got to the cart, now it just seems to be the $50US. No worries, I'll start to put some money away, much more affordable now I think.
PB
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

From what I hear Occulus are not doing so well either... I wonder if they are hoping to boost sales with this price drop?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

It worked, now I have to buy games. Ultrawings looks like some casual fun, reminds me of Pilotwings on the N64.

I'd like to hear what games people think are worth touching.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Ultrawings isn't too bad. I'm 25% in and it is getting a little bit grindy because I don't like the jet powered glider or the control method it uses for balloon popping missions. Otherwise I find it completely convincing. I imagine it will be a little hard on those with motion sickness issues. I'm not particularly prone to the problem but i do find myself flying with a constant low-level unease in the tummy. The other downside is the fairly limited area you have to explore.

I think Arizona Sunshine was worth the investment, even if I haven't done a second play through.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Arizona Sunshine FTW. I played it through a second time coop which was good fun. So is horde mode, though I wish it had more locations. Bought my copy on steam. Not sure if it's multiplayer compatible with the oculus store version.

The Lab on steam has some fun stuff to do and it's free.

If you like Rick and Morty grab Accounting. It's a short, free game by Justin Roiland.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Just picked up a second oculus + touch for work. Along with an extra sensor (3 total), for under a grand Australian. Very nice!

With the new prices, you can get the HMD alone (which is all you really need for sim racing) for $549 USD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Gday all.

Looking at getting a rift for iracing. Have been reading alot of people get fogging issues?. I live in QLD so its hot 10 months of the year and i sweat when its cold so im thinking fogging may become an issue?.

Anybody sucessfully combatted this?.