Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
renesis37

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by renesis37 »

It fogs easilly for me no matter the temperature, a fan 100% fixes it for me. Even in a 40 degree room sweatting my arse off for 3 hours with the sweat tripping down my eyes, no fog.. that leads me to another thing, it is uncomfortable when it is hot, but do you kow what.. I don't care. I love it too much and it is always worth it.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I don't really get fogging issues, but then again I don't wear the Rift particularly tightly and I have a ceiling fan in the room that I turn up a click while racing. When the Rift isn't clamped hard to your face you can angle it to allow air to escape around your brow and reduce the heat build up. I also have a long enough nose that I am not breathing out into the Rift.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Cheers guys. Can you confirm i only need the base package and not all the touch extras?
Does the sensor need to go any place in particular?.

Im just getting limited for room on desk..

If anyone in Brisbane has a rift and would be happy to let me try it out theres a 6 pack up for grabs :aussie:
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

For racing you don't need touch, I believe you can remove it from the cart when you order.

The sensor doesn't take up much room, it just needs an unobstructed view, mine sits on my pc tower next to my rig so it's at about a 45 degree angle and probably around shoulder height and it's never been an issue.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Yeah. Can remove the touch so its. $549USD. Got my hand on the checkout button but im not ready YET.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Blazerush is free to play for the weekend and 46% off ($8) if you want to buy (from the Oculus store).

I've actually had a bit of fun with it. I like these third-person toy-scale games.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

TIMMY30 wrote:Got my hand on the checkout button but im not ready YET.
Same. Soon, soon. Got my parts arranged and should be going in the machine early June...
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered one. They won't deliver to a parcel locker though, which is a bit of a pain.
hylas

Post by hylas »

smithcorp wrote:Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered one. They won't deliver to a parcel locker though, which is a bit of a pain.
Was the postage still something stupid like $120 USD ?
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Postage is zero dollars to Australia!
hylas

Post by hylas »

smithcorp wrote:Postage is zero dollars to Australia!
Oh fuck this, I'm gunna buy one too then
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Let us know how it is with Flight Sims Bri, I highly doubt I'd ever touch one but that usage could possibly tempt me.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I'll be trying IL2 Battle of Stalingrad and DCS World with it, as well as some racing games (I think Dirt Raly uses VR?) and Elite:Dangerous, which I haven't touched for ages. I'm getting an upgrade to get my games to run better and to get me some VR! I will be reporting.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

DCS is really nice with it. Finding keys can be a pain though. I bought an X-55 just so that I'd have a lots of buttons for VR, but a friend is happy with his X-52.

I think pretty much every current/still in development sim has VR support now. Assetto, rFactor 2, Dirt Rally, pCARS, RaceRoom, iRacing. LFS is also worth a spin just because they've implemented 3D mirrors.

There's also the RBR mod if you have that http://www.kegetys.fi/rbrvr-v1-5-fix-fo ... a-options/
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I still use the keyboard for a lot of commands (the basics like gear, flaps etc). People had said you can see the keyboard through a nose gap, but a reddit thread I read about correct fitting of the Rift says the nose gap is a sign of incorrect fit! I used Voice Attack in a limited way for Elite, so I might try that with DCS and IL2 to save fumbling for keys. I'd love for RoF to get VR support. That would be an amazing experience and require very few keypresses.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

smithcorp wrote:I still use the keyboard for a lot of commands (the basics like gear, flaps etc). People had said you can see the keyboard through a nose gap, but a reddit thread I read about correct fitting of the Rift says the nose gap is a sign of incorrect fit! I used Voice Attack in a limited way for Elite, so I might try that with DCS and IL2 to save fumbling for keys. I'd love for RoF to get VR support. That would be an amazing experience and require very few keypresses.
VoiceAttack FTW. I use it for AC, IL2, Euro/American Truck Sim and Elite. It doesn't cope well with excess background noise, but generally speaking its awesome once you train Windows voice recognition. You will still need some buttons due to voice commands being a bit slow to issue, but you should be able to significantly reduce the number. It's very rare I need to reach for a button that isn't bound to the HOTAS (X52 Pro) or wheel.

I don't think the nose-gap is a sign of poor fit at all. It will depend on the shape of your face and how you find it comfortable to wear. Don't let the self appointed reddit-experts tell you how to enjoy your own stuff.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Yeah, I can use the nose gap and it's fitted just fine. I just try to avoid having to do it too often or in the heat of the moment because it's a bit of a pain and a break in the immersion.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Order got finalised 9 June. Packages arrived today 13 June!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Good luck and don't crash into the furniture.

Hylas has been playing with his Rift for a bit over a week now but he hasn't reported back here about it.
hylas

Post by hylas »

Cursed wrote:Good luck and don't crash into the furniture.

Hylas has been playing with his Rift for a bit over a week now but he hasn't reported back here about it.

It's awesome! I did 8 hours of the 24hr le mans in iracing with it on the weekend, and did a XGN race in AC with it last night. So good!
I've adapted to it quickly I think, actually I'm still a bit unsure on the lens spacing. 62-64 all look fine to me, 65 is also still ok but it's obvious that it's getting to the edge of the optimal zone.

It honestly didn't take me long to start seeing the "spacing of pixels" ? Whatever it's called, the black netting stuff you can see. It was quite obvious on a track like lemans on the weekend, with the long straights. The loss of detail, especially in objects that aren't close is completely acceptable when you consider the gain of movement and perception. I instantly found it easier to determine distance to a corner.

I think I'm going to be setting up my joystick tonight to give DCS a good go, I'm hoping that it will cope with visability of distant objects. Like spotting other planes in the sky.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

So whats delivery time like from the main store? Norbs is a bad person now i have one on order. Hope the ol 970 can chug along ok lol

Hello :aussie:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

That's what I'm worried about Shaun, the pc upgrade costs..
eek
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Cross that hurdle when i get to it haha

Hello :aussie:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Will be here for the boys weekend Pix.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.