DIY Plans for a Race Simulator Cockpit?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: DIY Plans for a Race Simulator Cockpit?

Post by Duke »

Awesome KNAPPO!!! Can't wait to see pics once you have boxed the seat area in. :D
Geebus 100kg that is beefy, I have no idea how much mine weighs but I doubt it would be that high.
I just stuck with the 4 castor wheels as there is nothing to step into or stand onto with my rig, just as well I reckon too. :rolleyes:
I could still add another under the seat if it ever starts to sag but I think it'll be fine as long as I sit down gently each time. :nod:
Yep I agree the added height of a trolley makes getting in & out of the rig much easier, especially as we get older. ;)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

It's completely finished - Time to Play!!! Here it is with the monitor, PC & keyboard all installed now.
The keyboard can be removed at the upright of the rig, where I’m using a hose clamp to hold it tight at the join while racing.
I also went the cheap & easy option for tilting the wheel. It’s doesn’t look like much of a change but it is heaps better at that angle now...

Wheel Tilt by Duke6amer, on Flickr

Cheap Mans Tilt by Duke6amer, on Flickr

Up & Running by Duke6amer, on Flickr

Hose Clamp by Duke6amer, on Flickr

Home Sweet Home by Duke6amer, on Flickr
Dukester

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Looking good mate! I've got a notepad stuffed under the back of my G25 to get the angle right so you're not the only one with a cheapy mod there hehe.

I think I'll go down your path once Oculus Rift comes out retail and I can scale back my three screens to one.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Exar Kun wrote:Looking good mate! I've got a notepad stuffed under the back of my G25 to get the angle right so you're not the only one with a cheapy mod there hehe.

I think I'll go down your path once Oculus Rift comes out retail and I can scale back my three screens to one.
Ah I like the idea of a notepad. I do want to try fill the cavity under the wheel with something maybe a rubber block or similar would do the job.

Yep I've decided to not go triple screen either as I think Oculus Rift is going to be for me also... :nod:
Dukester

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

looks great flinty!

I have a wooden train track under my G25.

yes oculus rift. I just hope a hi res screens are coming very soon
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Looks awesome mate, you must be happy with that!
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Vilante wrote:Looks awesome mate, you must be happy with that!
Yeah I'm wrapped with it, now it's time to get passed this being the project & actually use it in anger as it was intended for.

Got an iRacing email promoting their 3 month membership for $5.
Think I'll take it up as it will give me a great reason to hammer the rig & see if iRacing is for me. ;)
Dukester

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

So, any updates?

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Love the pic wobbly, is just how I envisaged you actually :D

Well I have had some time in the rig but I think my 9yr old boy has had more hours in it to date. :rolleyes:
One of the biggest surprises is that with FFB when turned up high will shake & vibrate the rig ever so slightly adding to the immersion. It has made me want to get a Buttkicker for it even more now. :yes:

Sims I've used & my opinion on each;
F1 2012:- Really an arcade sim but it's damn fun & shite happens in a hurry.
LFS:- I just can't drive it fast anymore, so much hard work. :eek:
SIMBIN Mega Pack:- Everything from GTR to Race Injection . I have really liked alot of what I have tried, even if it is fairly easy with pretty bland textures. GTR2 shocked me as it seemed harder & more how I'd expect GTR cars to be. The SIMBIN FFB is very good compared to the default rFactor FFB.
Simbin Racing Room Experience (RRE):- Free Demo to see how it would run on the PC. It's a modern polished version of Race07 so I like.
rFactor:- I have set this up with many separate "lite" installs so each series mod can be run individually then I have another "lite" install to store all the track mods. I then link the location folder from each of the series installs to that single track install location folder to save on HDD space using the "MLINK" command in W7. I got this idea from the youtube below.
Series mods installed to date, PCC2007, V8 Unleashed, FVRFactor, GP1979 & Truck Racing. Just haven't had time to add more yet. By far my favourite is PCC2007 . GP1979 reminds me of GPL on steroids trying to stay on the track. The Truck Mod is crazy hard as the speed sensation is so different.

[youtube] [/youtube]

I still have heaps of other sims to install when I can find the time especially GPL, RBR, NKPro, AC, pCARS & I will eventually buy rFactor 2 & iRacing.

But as with all projects it is hard to completely finish it, still have to screw most of the joins & paint it which I hope to do soon now the warmer weather is nearly here.
But even last weekend I was still tweaking it by modding the G25 pedals to assist with the heel & toe action as per below.

G25 Pedal Mod 1 by Duke6amer, on Flickr

G25 Pedal Mod 2 by Duke6amer, on Flickr

G25 Pedal Mod 3 by Duke6amer, on Flickr
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I did a quick change this weekend to move the shifter into a more natural position, luckily the angles worked out ok so the shifter is still pretty much level so no need to make a new mount.
I'm very happy with where it is now. :D
I'll be painting soon if I can bring myself to stop using it for long enough especially now Assetto Corsa is out.

Shifter Position Mod by Duke6amer, on Flickr
Dukester

petey

Post by petey »

That looks like an unnatural position to me. Most cars I drive the shifter will be further towards the rear of the vehicle than the steering wheel.

In saying that, my H shifter is currently mounted on the desk further forward than my wheel - it still works out okay for me.

Just in terms of realism, I think that shifter should still be a good 100mm or so backwards (z plane) towards the driver.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yep I know what you mean but the whole sim doesn't match a real car per say so everything is a slight compromise & is sort of dictated by the seat position relative to the steering wheel.
I did have it set backwards along the z-plane but it felt too close to me, my elbow was touching the seat upright, hence the reason to change it.
It now sits pretty much where your hand naturally drops off the wheel & down onto the shifter rather than having to deliberately move your hand in the z-plane to find the stick.
It now is sort of a mix between having a high seq shift position of a modern race car but it is lower so it feels a bit more like a road / sports car given the types of cars I mainly sim with.
Dukester

petey

Post by petey »

Whatever works. It does look like a comfortable spot, I meant unnatural in terms of real car comparison.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

And now for the Screens...

Setup
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

5 x 80" - whoa!
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

You're kidding, they set up all these great screens then they sit at a desk with a dinning chair & so far away from it all. Bloody Console Gamers... :lol:

Well I initially wanted 3 screens like the youtube below but the cost of hardware was just too much.

But now I am just waiting for the Rift... http://www.arseforums.com/phpBB/viewtop ... 16#p363516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube] [/youtube]
Dukester

Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Just ordered my triple screen mount for my Obutto today so now to find and buy suitable screens!
XLV SPORT
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

[youtube] [/youtube]
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

And Butt Kicker, Rift.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

So with so many of the new race sims only offering left-hand drive vehicles does anyone here have a shifter mounted on their right-hand side?
My rig can easily be switched & I am seriously contemplating doing so but want to canvass others thoughts that have made the switch.
If you have switched how is it? Did it take long to adapt to it? Do you find yourself still comfortable using it on the opposite side even after a break from using it?
Or is this idea dumb? I know one draw-back will be that anytime I want to race an Aussie V8 will mean the shifter will now be on the wrong side. :rolleyes:
Dukester

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Funny you say this. I had right hand shift in my GPL days and before I had a license. As I'm right handed it felt natural as, even tho shifting in a real car with my left hand also felt natural. It actually took me some time to adjust to LFS and left hand shifting mainly because I had no left hand mount sorted like the one I had for my GPL setup.

I'm fine now with either configuration but only shift with my left as my keyboard setup is mounted on the right and its pain to swap as I have my shifters cabling zip tied to my rigs frame.

This might sound silly but, I actually really use to enjoy right hand shifting in GPL. It added to the immersion given there were shifting animations in game and it actually made me feel like I was driving a race car opposed to a real car.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I have had a right shift for a couple of years simply due to space on my desk. Made life much easier when I went to drive a Formula Ford :)
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Also, another long time Right side shifter here, left hand shifting has always felt odd.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I kept my old G25 shifter when the wheel broke, so I plan to get a Bodnar cable for it and I'll have a sequential on one side and H pattern on the other.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Well I'm still using a G25 shifter but thinking of buying a 2nd shifter to mount on my left-hand side.
It has to have both Sequential & H-pattern shifting as I want the realism to be true to the car I'm driving.
So I'm tossing up between the Thrustmaster TH8 RS Shifter or the Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ AU but both have their pros & cons...
Anyone here using either???

Or is their another option, I'd be happy to try get another g25 shifter but sadly only G27 shifters can be bought separately these days.
Dukester