DIY Plans for a Race Simulator Cockpit?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: DIY Plans for a Race Simulator Cockpit?

Post by wobblysauce »

Could look at ebay and such sites for the gear stick.

Or from some one else that has upgraded theres.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I have a Fanatec shifter coming, but NFI when it will arrive since they're out of stock at the moment.

G27 shifter is terrible. Makes me wish I'd held on to my G25 just for the shifter.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I convinced the family to buy me this as my xmas pressie... have to wait till tomorrow before I can start using it.

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Is that a hint from the wife?
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Will be interested to know how much better it is compared to the G25 one Flinty.
XLV SPORT
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Finally got a chance to mount the new shifter today by adding a right-hand side cross-brace just like the left side.
The only downside of this arrangement is that the keyboard has been pushed out another few inches, lucky I'm a big bloke so can still reach it ok.
The shifting is much nicer than the G25, very fluid with no annoying micro-switch clicks to be heard.
I'll report more once I have had a proper drive with it, if I can drive right stick shift that is.
For now here are some pics of it mounted on the rig.

RH Shifter by Duke6amer, on Flickr

RH Shifter 2 by Duke6amer, on Flickr
Dukester

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Depends as you could switch them around for the more common shift side, but which side is your preference for the buttons.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I've started to get used to right hand shifting after using it for around 2hrs last night. At this stage depending on the vehicle I'm about half a second off my (left-hand shifting) PB's as I'm still having to think about the shifts rather than them being second nature. So even after one session here is my Pro's & Con's on the Thrustmaster TH8-RS Shifter.

Pro's:
Build quality is excellent. It feels like a proper shifter with all that metal.
Shift action is very smooth, fluid & quiet. No artificial clicks or clunks like the G25 shifter.
It mounts solid. I took the clamp off & hard mounted it.
Highly tunable. Has it's own calibration software to fine tune the shifting action, also has a hardware tension adjustment. Although I have left everything on default for now.
Firmware Updates. Not sure what for but nice to know fixes & enhancements are available if needed.

Con's
Lack of buttons. Well it just doesn't have any so if I didn't have the G25 shifter on the other side I'd see this as a bigger issue.
Converting to sequential shift is time consuming. You have to remove the gear knob, then swap they base plate (4 allen bolts) & also rotate the mechanism 90 degrees before reassembly.
The longer throw due to the longer shaft does mean shifts take a tiny bit longer to do. Not so sure this is a con if you're a purist like me. :vibes:

So I reckon I have the best of both worlds with the G25 shifter easily switching between H & sequential shift as well as having it's buttons on the opposite side to the keyboard. ;)
I can live with left-hand sequential shifting in open-wheelers as it isn't such an immersion killer than it is in a sedan / touring car.
So I think my TH8-RS will stay in H-Shift mode most of it's life. :nod:

Any other questions or queries you blokes have on the Thrustmaster shifter just ask. :yes:
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Something that has been interesting me for a while is the Simxperience SimVibe but due to cost of setup I'm only an interested observer for now.
Anyway I stumbled across this video today about a SimVibe setup on a Obutto R3volution Racing Cockpit, which I think KNAPPO has one of & possibly others here as well.
What's unique is how this guy is using 3D printing to mount the shakers. Very Impressive!!!

[youtube] [/youtube]
Dukester

pab

Post by pab »

Simvibe is great, adds a whole new dimension to the driving experience!
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Posting this here for future reference & the OMG, I SO WANT FACTOR!!!

http://www.insidesimracing.tv/other-har ... ll-pedals/
http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/pedals.html

Image Image
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

This arrived on Friday, being the cheapest way for me to try a load cell brake. Now to find time to install it & get used to it.
I may wait until I pick up the 2nd hand, non-working G25 I bought of OCAU & fit it to those pedals leaving my current GTEYE modded pedals as a spare set. ;)

Dukester

richo

Post by richo »

Completely off topic but does anyone have a g25 shifter kicking about they want sell etc? Lost mine in a move but wasn't too worried as the reverse gear was Maldonadoeded.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
[]D [] []v[] []D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

richo wrote:Completely off topic but does anyone have a g25 shifter kicking about they want sell etc? Lost mine in a move but wasn't too worried as the reverse gear was Maldonadoeded.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Amazon have a G27 replacement shifter for USD$56 + P&H, assuming you just want h-shifting & don't care for sequential stick shifting.
If you can live without buttons & can afford it then I suggest grabbing a Thrustmaster TH8 RS. I use one as my primary shifter & love it although it takes about 5mins to set it up for sequential shifting but I don't often use a shifter for sequential these days. ;)
Dukester

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

The g25 and g27 shifters aren't cross compatible, just so you know
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

cheap seat in Caroline Springs if someone is looking to build a sim pit

http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=63428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--------------
Stu
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Anyone know of, bought or used a Siminstruments Dash, being :aussie: & all???

Keen on one for my rig... :yes:
Dukester

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Why don't you get a Nexus 7 and run this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... terforacpc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eek
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

pixelboy wrote:Why don't you get a Nexus 7 and run this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... terforacpc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the idea Pix, I just started using this app the other day on my Sony Xperia Z smartphone. It's pretty damn good however...

- The phone screen is a touch small to put in front of the monitor & a touch too big to mount into my G25 wheel. lol!!!
- I can't hard mount it as it's my work phone & needs to be portable.
- The best place to put it is just behind the wheel but there isn't much room to get my hand around while holding the paddle shifters.
- I'm too far from my w/less so have to USB teether the phone to the sim PC to get the app to work smoothly.
- I've had the app crash a few times & even had the phone reboot once.
- A NEXUS 7 is a lot more $'s. Yes I get a tablet but I don't really have the room to mount it on the rig & would need to remove it as the sim rig is not in a secure enough area to leave it.
- The same issue with w/less would exist with any phone or tablet. So I think I need & therefor looking at a hard wired specific software solution. Like a dash / SLI wheel mount. ;)
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Well here's my answer, if you haven't kept up over the last week FANATEC have been showing teasers of new wheels for their CSW base.
Check the last 4 blog posts here: http://eu.fanatec.com/forum/categories/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now if only their reputation belied the asking price then I'd be seriously tempted, if I had the $'s to spend...

Dukester

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Mate at work just sent his CSW base off for warranty repair after only 12 months of use!!!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Been talking to Frank about that Knappo. It sucks.

So far my deailings with Fanatec have been great. I know there are some horror stories out there but all by gear is fine and the customer service so far has been great. I wouldn't hesistate to recommend them to another :yes:
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Flinty72 wrote:Anyone know of, bought or used a Siminstruments Dash, being :aussie: & all???

Keen on one for my rig... :yes:
Although I don't have one, i've used one of these before and they are great. When I build my own rig though I'll be getting a Z1 Sim Dash http://www.z1simwheel.com/dashboard/index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I was talking with Brett from Hybrid Race Simulations. I think he can do these for under $200.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Flinty72 wrote:Well here's my answer, if you haven't kept up over the last week FANATEC have been showing teasers of new wheels for their CSW base.
Check the last 4 blog posts here: http://eu.fanatec.com/forum/categories/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now if only their reputation belied the asking price then I'd be seriously tempted, if I had the $'s to spend...
I'm pretty happy with my CSW. I got one as soon as they were available in AU. As it would turn out, the first MNR series that I used the BMW GT2 wheel on it, I cooked the motors. It turns out they had a bad batch (so they say) - but their support was responsive and gave me the option of sending the base back to them to repair under warranty or they would send me the bits and the instructions to do it myself - an approach that I thought was quite refreshing. I opted to do it myself.

The base was pretty easy to work on. No snappy plastic catches or obscure screw-heads to negotiate. It looks like it was built to take apart. I liked that.

So while they are pricey, I feel like these are good hobbyist equipment. The new wheels look like they're just screwing plain old rims onto a modular hub. I'm guessing that they're setting up to let people screw their own wheels to those hubs too. I think it's an approach which is entirely appropriate to a simming community where every other person owns a screwdriver and isn't afraid to use it. This too I like.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
aussie muscle

Post by aussie muscle »

Some cool rigs here. i haven't used a cockpit setup for some years. I currently just use a G27 on a desk with office chair.

my first one was waaaayyy back when i had a ACTLABS wheel. it had a car seat from the local wreckers (possibly from a datsun?) and wood frame.
i then upgraded to a G25, with custom steering wheel (i found the bigger 'normal' sized wheel is slower due to it's diameter and mass) and the seat i mounted on an office chair base so i could move it in and out. The G25 wore out (pots went noisy and the shifter kept breaking) so i sold it on ebay in parts (still got $60 for it).
Reality is a nice place, but i wouldn't want to live there.