PC Gaming Rig Build - New toys.

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

PC Gaming Rig Build - New toys.

Post by KNAPPO »

Ok, its been waaaaaaaay too long between builds but the time has come to give my Obutto r3volution a decent partner in life.

My budget is a little over $4000 for a full system build.

Im looking at going sli (preferably Nvidia) to run triple 27" with a water cooled i7. But its been so long since ive looked into this stuff im a bit confused as to what bits are best suited. Been looking at PCCG's gaming systems to get familiar with things but would like some input as to what cpu's, gpu's and motherboards to go with. Will defiantly go SSD alongside a traditional HDD setup but dont think ill bother with an optical drive.

Anyone have any experience with triples? Ide like a thin bezel 27 but have nfi about refresh rates ect. Ide love the price of the screens to be under $500 a piece.

Any help you guys can provide is massively appreciated. :nod:
With 3 kids under 3yrs old finding the time to research this stuff is hard to come by. The boys are sleeping better so I have time to game but the old box just isnt cutting it anymore, especially with Assetto Corsa :(
Last edited by KNAPPO on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: PC Gaming Rig Build - Little Help?

Post by r8response »

PCCG already have exactly what you are looking for. You've probably already looked at it yourself..
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... e64254dcbd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I came.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I think R8 is on to a good one there. The 780ti is a faster card, so you could probably "steal" there specs to build it yourself and put those in instead? Although I'm not sure it will be worth it if your time poor.

Anyone know if AMD cards are worth considering?

Also are you sure you want to spend 1500 bucks on monitors when things like oculus rift are just around the corner?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

That or something like this from Toms, or mix of both.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bui ... ,3766.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

r8response wrote:PCCG already have exactly what you are looking for. You've probably already looked at it yourself..
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... e64254dcbd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a beast for sure. But he won't be able to buy monitors after purchasing that :)
I reckon you can cut it here and there and save enough. Eg the i7 cpu is an overkill, and the K series is only needed if you plan on overclocking. An i5-3570(k) is perfectly capable of running everything on that system. about $200 saved, and the mobo & ram can be downscaled a bit too, probably. The gfx cards can be changed to a generic (non "gaming") version and save another $200, the psu does not need to be a 1000W monster, another $100...
Edit: with the windows and the lighting out, another $200, that brings it down to around $2500, now that leaves $500/monitor.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

The Revolution triple monitor mount is different to the Ozone one that I have I think, but be careful buying monitors, I had to do a lot of research to find the right combination of plug position, VESA mount and thin bezels to find something suitable. I would recommend having a good look at BenQ as they make their monitors with gaming in mind it seems.
Also, just for kicks, go into a retail electrical place and tell them you want 3 120hZ, 27" monitors and watch them cream themselves. Then see the look of devastation spread across their face as they realise they have nothing in stock suitable for you. Good times!
XLV SPORT
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I don't think a mount is necessary...( it depends on your desk space & chosen monitors, tho ) it's a hefty extra cost, plus as you've described it's a source of further potential issues :)

Edit: oh sorry, you were asking about experience with triples, too; I run a 3x24" setup for a while now. Three 1920x1200 dells (notice the 16:10 ratio!). They looked huge originally, nowadays, not so much :).
Positives:
  • plenty of screen estate for work
  • great for sim racing
negatives:
  • the far edge of this setup is too far to the side (the monitors are angled a bit, nearly 30 degrees to each other) .
  • the height of the setup isn't enough now (it used to be!)
  • to use the setup for full-screen gaming, you have to use the nV surround mode (it'll be one huge desktop), but this means lots of (especially older) games will run into problems, so you have to swap back and forth sometimes. And swapping is nearly always painful; the nV driver often mixes the screens up for whatever reason. So it's not just a click and done operation. Plus too many switches can cause temporary problems, which means you need to restart the computer.
  • it's simply not good for regular shooter games; the edges are completely effed up by the heavy perspective.
If I had an option, I'd go for something that has about 5000x1200 resolution, not ~7000x1200.

But since I'm also working, I'd now prefer something with a bit more height, too. So maybe a 40" or so 16:9 monitor will be ideal, when it arrives :)

OH, another important thing; depending on resolution you may indeed need the extra grunt of the 'gaming' gfx cards. 3x 1920x1080 (16:9) can be driven by 2x670's fairly well (That's what I'm using currently but I can't max Assetto Corsa out. Not even nearly.) But higher resolutions will require a lot of grunt.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I'm using an AMD HD7970 GFX card after using nvidia's for years. I've find there is not a lot of difference tbh.
Although the AMD doesn't shimmer as much compared to nvidia but shimmer is more due to me trying to push too much eye candy, if your can live with lower settings then both cards don't really produce excess shimmer.

I also agree with most of ysu points, you could save dollars by dropping down specs / levels of certain items as he has suggested.
Although I wouldn't compromise on GFX if running triple screen & also if you plan to OC then get a good OC'ing Mobo.

Also I've been wondering myself if dual GFX cards (in SLI/CF) is really needed these days to run triple screens, could a monster card to it all at good FPS???
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Flinty72 wrote:Also I've been wondering myself if dual GFX cards (in SLI/CF) is really needed these days to run triple screens, could a monster card to it all at good FPS???
Yes it can, but interestingly it's a less cost-effective setup :) (at least it was last I've checked)
You need one of those dual-gpu cards.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

ysu wrote:
Flinty72 wrote:Also I've been wondering myself if dual GFX cards (in SLI/CF) is really needed these days to run triple screens, could a monster card to it all at good FPS???
Yes it can, but interestingly it's a less cost-effective setup :) (at least it was last I've checked)
As long as you can get it working in your game of choice :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

norbs wrote:
ysu wrote:
Ah ok I did not know they still have those sort of problems...I thought it was years long past. Bugger. Altho since it's not the best option price wise either, it's a moot point.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

norbs wrote:
ysu wrote:

That comes down to the hardware vendor (in your case nVidia) not putting out drivers with updated SLi profiles fast enough.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

PRetty decent rig this knappo!

http://www.pccasegear.com/sc/kkk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PC Case Gear - Shared Shopping Cart
1 x G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-2400C10D-8GZH 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - $119.00ea
1 x MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Motherboard - $199.00ea
1 x Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB SSD - $189.00ea
1 x Intel Core i7 4770K - $389.00ea
3 x BenQ EW2740L 27in VA Widescreen LED Monitor - $309.00ea
1 x Corsair Obsidian 650D Case - $229.00ea
1 x Seasonic XP-760 Platinum 760W Power Supply V2 - $239.00ea
2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 OC Edition 2GB - $415.00ea
1 x Seagate Barracuda 4TB ST4000DM000 - $199.00ea
1 x Corsair Hydro Series H100i CPU Cooler - $149.00ea
Total: $3,469.00 - @pccasegear.com 03/04/2014
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

ah, if you remove the "href" I think your urls will work
I think he'd be better off with the 2x780 and the i5 rather than the i7 (which has way more power and cores than what one needs) and the 2x770. But it'll cost more dearly.
Oh, and if you get more RAM on the video cards, that maybe beneficial too. I haven't been able to test it, but generally in these resolutions more ram helps as far as i know.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Thanks heaps guys, I really appreciate it. Gotta love the ARSE brains trust!

That blood dragon setup is a killer starting point (loving that case compared to others on PCCG), been looking at changing a few things and calculating prices and getting final finances in order.
My budget has moved to $4700 minimum, can move a bit higher if need be which is good.

The kids have gone to bed early tonight again so time to pour over options. :D

Jumped on the rig last night and bought the RUF for iRacing. A mate challenged me to a base setup hot lap around Bathurst in the Track version and I had an outright BLAST!!! Ended up with a 2:07.5 after not being in the saddle for a while. Gotta say that car is a dream to drive, had a hoot over the top of the mountain.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I don't think you could spend that much even if you wanted without pissing it away. 2x 780tis and you're set.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

KNAPPO, if you wanted to try AMD GFX then this is a pretty sweet deal if you grab em quick... this card was $399 3 months ago.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=25734" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Might be a step below what others have posted but would still be plenty enough imho plus you'd save a few more $'s.
Although you may want to ensure you meet their recommended PSU specs of 850w!!! (Min spec is 750w)
Last edited by Duke on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I agree Righty. That's why im starting to consider adding a buttkicker into my build.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

My experience with multi-gpu multi-display ati (amd) solutions is really bad. Their drivers were just utterly inadequate for the year I've tried that path. True, it was a couple of years back, but I'd be careful. If anything, you're probably looking to have more problems than with the nvidia sli.

Just a friendly warning, feel free to disregard :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Well my GPU preference is with nVidia anyhoo.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Alrighty, im pretty keen on getting triple 2560x1440 monitors.
I sit behind a dual 2560x1440 setup at work. 27" Mac with a Dell ultra sharp U2711 and both panels are beautiful.

This computer will be used for gaming, graphic design and video editing so im pretty keen to go to this res over 1080p.
Ive been looking at the ASUS PB278Q's but they are pricey. Anyone know of any other decent 2560x1440 panels worth considering?
This ASUS looks to be the most reasonably priced screen in this market as the price tends to go up lol.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

KNAPPO wrote:Alrighty, im pretty keen on getting triple 2560x1440 monitors.
I sit behind a dual 2560x1440 setup at work. 27" Mac with a Dell ultra sharp U2711 and both panels are beautiful.

This computer will be used for gaming, graphic design and video editing so im pretty keen to go to this res over 1080p.
Ive been looking at the ASUS PB278Q's but they are pricey. Anyone know of any other decent 2560x1440 panels worth considering?
This ASUS looks to be the most reasonably priced screen in this market as the price tends to go up lol.
I can understand this. I run 2 of those dell's at home, but they are very hecksy.. But for what I do, video editing, the extra space over 1080p is worth it. But.... for gaming, you're most likely going to need to dial back some detail to get good frame rates. I sort of accept that as it is worth it for my work. But if I were making a games only machine, I'd stick with 1080p monitors.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

KNAPPO wrote:Alrighty, im pretty keen on getting triple 2560x1440 monitors.

Well, the problem is that
1) you're looking at high-res panels which accentuates the need for really high-end gfx cards. Look at the total res at
1920x1080x3 ~= 6,2MP vs
2560x1440x3 ~= 11MP
Friggen nearly double!!! I'm not even sure a pair of regular 780's will give you a decent framerate everywhere....(eg in Assetto Corsa!)

2) You've put forward two IPS monitors, which are the high-quality panels. You can probably afford TN panels, and if you're not doing work - especially graphical work - only gaming, they're probably the better choice, too. TN panels nowadays are getting pretty damn good.
and they're generally faster. You just need to ensure you're buying good enough TN panels that the slight angle coming from the triple setup won't result in color shift. (viewable angles are pretty much all up to par nowadays)

Still, if you're set on it, you maybe able to buy 3xDell u2713 (the current model). Keep an eye open, Dell used to have awesome deals, ~40% or so off. That'd bring the $850 monitor down to around $500. But you have to wait for it :) ( you can watch the ocau video card & monitor forum, if there's anything it usually turns up there )

Edit: that ASUS PB278Q maybe a good alternative, it's cheap enough to fit into your current budget.

Edit2: bit of a disclaimer: it seems that everyone came up with new names for their panels to avoid the stigma of the name 'TN' ... as far as I know the two base types of technology did not change too much, but I haven't followed the monitor panel techs lately too much (lately as in the last 1-2 years).