Race Sim Tech & Tips

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
DarrenM

Re: Race Sim Tech & Tips

Post by DarrenM »

Mine looks just as bad, only instead of cables it's old bills, computer bits and other random shit piled all over the desk.

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Einstein
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Max Verstappen versus racing games
What do you think of the racing simulators the teams have versus games like F1 2016 or Project CARS? How does it compare with what the team has?
Well, I think both are definitely very good already. The tracks are really well prepared and look great but in terms of setup work and data analysis it’s nowhere near the real car.

What are the biggest differences and what do you find toughest about virtual racing?

One of the toughest things is the fact the feel of the car is completely different, it doesn’t feel like it does in reality because you don’t have the G-forces and that makes it much more difficult to control. There are some tricks you can do on a virtual sim compared to a real car that can help you but in general it’s about 90 per cent the same.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Enforcer-J

Re: RE: Re: Race Sim Tech & Tips

Post by Enforcer-J »

DarrenM wrote:Mine looks just as bad, only instead of cables it's old bills, computer bits and other random shit piled all over the desk.

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Einstein
Are you calling me simple! Believe me its a mess in my head haha
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Well, there's also the theory that people who feel their lives are boring/orderly will subconsciously create chaos by being messy, while those who have chaotic/busy lives create order by being tidy :)
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Oh the juxtaposition!
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Fanatec’s Thomas Jackermeier introduced the new CSL Elite or “ClubSport Light“ Series.
The CSL Elite Series of products is aimed at the midrange market. Fanatec applied the technology of the ClubSport series and concentrated purely on performance and durability rather than fancy materials or a perfect finish. This should, in theory, deliver you the same functionality but at a lower price. Furthermore, Thomas also commented on the PlayStation situation.
We know that a lot of people want to know what the status is but we cannot announce anything before the contract is signed. We have a good relationship with Sony but we need to follow the rules and although there are absolutely no points of disagreement, sometimes things takes a while because of procedures and work flows. I am confident that we can announce a PS4 Version of this Wheel base soon.
CSL Elite Series Products:
CSL Elite Wheel Base
CSL Elite Pedals
CSL Elite Pedals Loadcell Kit
Both the wheel and pedals are sold separately and are compatible with most previous Fanatec equipment.

CSL Elite Pricing

CSL Elite Wheel Base
Super strong and fast brushless servo motor which delivers 6 NM on the steering axis
Single belt drive unit with just one belt between axis and motor
Automotive grade QR system and compatibility to all Fanatec CSL or ClubSport steering wheels
1080° of rotation. Good for drifting
Rev Lights integrated on the base
Strong table clamp integrated
2 shifter ports plus handbrake port. There are CSL Shifters and handbrake also coming up next

CSL Elite Pedals and CSL Elite Pedals Loadcell Kit
Solid full metal construction
Basic set comes with two pedals but with the optional Loadcell Kit you add a load cell brake and transform the former brake pedal into a clutch pedal.
Great brake feeling even on the basic set as it comes with a strong metal spring and a PU foam damper/spring
The load cell brake pedal is actually a big loadcell. The whole arm is the sensor and it measures the pedal pressure of up to 90kg. Of Course, you can adjust the brake force during gameplay.
Travel and stiffness of the LC brake can be easily and quickly adjusted without the need of tools
You can choose between 3 surfaces for your pedal plates. Blank metal, rubber or a sandpaper anti-skid patch

Press Release:
The CSL Elite products are introduced together with the European Launch of Assetto Corsa for Consoles and in partnership with this title, as it is the perfect match. Therefore, the new product launch comes with a great bundle, the CSL Elite Wheel Assetto Corsa Edition.

It comes with a free Assetto Corsa Xbox One version hard-copy as a bundle discount in EU, USA/Canada and Australia for the first pre-order customers. The Bundle contains the CSL Elite Wheel Base, the CSL Elite Pedals, the CSL Elite Pedals Loadcell Kit and the CSL Steering Wheel P1 for Xbox One. It is compatible with PC and Xbox One.

The CSL Elite Wheel Base makes Fanatec High-End functionality affordable. Positioned below the ClubSport Wheel Base V2, but more powerful than the V1, the CSL Elite Wheel Base is certainly powerful enough to handle all CSL and ClubSport steering wheels.It comes with the automotive grade quick release system established by Fanatec’s ClubSport series and therefore is compatible with all CSL and ClubSport Steering Wheels.

The powerful brushless servo motor in combination with the single belt drive, delivers incredibly smooth and super-fast Force Feedback effects with instant acceleration, eliminating dead spots. The turning maximum is 1080° of rotation, adjustable in the wheel tuning menu during gameplay from 90° to 1080°.

A new feature are the rev lights built into the top cover of the Wheel Base allowing RPM information, and other functions (depending on the game), like fuel level. In addition to the hard-mount points, the racing Wheel Base comes with a table clamp right out-of-the-box allowing a stable and toolless attachment to your desk or table.

The CSL Elite Pedals come in a solid full-metal Aluminum design, delivering the same technology and materials as used in high-end pedals, even at the mid-range price. The new electronics feature potentiometer sensors with metal gears on the two pedal arms for throttle and brake, that provide the same 12bit resolution as the ClubSport V3 pedals.

Each pedal´s (gas, brake, optional clutch) horizontal position on the heelrest is individually adjustable, and can even be separately mounted onto your customized cockpit without the heelrest plate. The detachable rubber pads on the pedals give you the choice between grip or a slick surface. The human body memorizes muscle tension much better than foot position. This is why all car brakes measure the pressure and not the travel.

The CSL Elite Pedals Loadcell Kit adds the loadcell brake unit as third pedal to your CSL Elite Pedals. The former brake unit gets equipped with a new limiter pad and becomes the clutch pedal. The exchangeable electronics unit adds USB connectivity and a Handbrake port.

If you have to hit the brake hard, the load cell takes up to 90kg pedal pressure. The sensitivity can be adjusted during gameplay in the wheel tuning menu from very gentle to ultra-heavy, like in a Formula car. The completely new design of the brake allows for adjustment of the resistance and travel of the brake pedal without using any tools. Just change and arrange the various brake buffer components to generate a huge variety of combinations of resistance. There are three anti-skid pads included with this kit so you can decide between blank, rubber pad or anti-skid pads for each pedal.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

It truly annoys me how the bolt's used are too short to go through the nyloc threading of the nuts.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

FUCK

Went snap just before the session tonight, broke the connection between the spring and pedal, and the load cell now doesn't read anything

Any recommendations for cheap load cell pedals?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

This will be Duke, in 2063. :)

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:This will be Duke, in 2063. :)
As long as he can get past this stage.

Thats pretty nuts tho. Would love a go. :nod:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I think I still have one of these unboxed in my garage. :p

Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

pab

Post by pab »

I added a new addition to my Hyper on the weekend, fans that match the speed of the car. Rigged up really roughly for now, will place the Arduino and motor driver in a project box and figure out some way to properly mount the fans at some stage.

Sounds and feels awesome, gives a great sense of speed! Well worth the very small effort and relatively small cost to get it running.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Cool!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: RE: Re: Race Sim Tech & Tips

Post by w00dsy »

Enforcer-J wrote:Cool!

I see what you did there
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Last weekend, Heusinkveld Engineering attended the third edition of the SimRacing Expo at the German Nürburgring racing circuit.
During the trade fair, HE’s lead technical developer and Reiza Studios physics creator Niels Heusinkveld hosted an interesting presentation talking about vehicle dynamics and car setups. Here is a re-run for all who had to miss the action.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Imagine this tied into a Sims Physics while in VR... Damn!!!

Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote:Imagine this tied into a Sims Physics while in VR... Damn!!!

6 dimensions? :fall:

Since when is yaw, pitch and roll a dimension?

I would be spewing up my school lunches in that thing.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Here's an article by Ross Bentley, who wrote the Speed Secrets series of books, about how to know when you're at the limit.

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/blo ... -question/
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

The new thing getting around the simracing world... Especially for the VR racers. 1st video NSFW - Swearing

Here is the iRacing members only forum thread: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts ... 04430.page
Uses Arduino with Monster Moto board. Is intended as a DIY or various Kit options are available from NZ, Richard Macnaughton the original creater
Uses iRacing's telemetry output. Not sure if it works outside of iracing yet but I suspect it won't take long for someone to make it work in the other race sims.

I also wonder if it could be adapted to work with virtual cycling software's like Zwift, norbs?

Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

All over it for Zwift Duke. it works for all sorts of sims, AND a rollercoaster simulation.

Got the fans, ducting, motos, dc cable and everything I need. just trying to sort out the code.

Been speaking to Steve (Slow) about it. Even looking at solar panels to charge the batteries.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Nice, where did you source the fans from?
Dukester

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

The fan's are a strange one for me, as most people run closed cockpit cars where you really don't feel the wind that much. Plus you don't 'feel' the wind on your face so much as your helmet gets blown around when in an open car. There wouldn't anything short of a wind tunnel to replicate the forces of your helmet trying to be pulled off your head at when you get over 120-ish
norbs

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote:Nice, where did you source the fans from?
eBay. I had them on my watchlist and got them for $21 each. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310795412035 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I am just waiting for an IR sensor and the fun starts. Because Zwift doesnt yet have shared memory access, I will be using a sensor on the trainers flywheel to read my speed. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271622175576 ... EBIDX%3AIT

The fans move a lot of air and are noisy as fuck, so I have some ducting that I can put on the fans to move the bastards down the shed away from me a bit.

PS, anyone want some mongrel dogs that bark at thunder? :rolleyes: