Race Sim Tech & Tips

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Race Sim Tech & Tips

Post by norbs »

GT VIRUS wrote:The fan's are a strange one for me, as most people run closed cockpit cars where you really don't feel the wind that much. Plus you don't 'feel' the wind on your face so much as your helmet gets blown around when in an open car. There wouldn't anything short of a wind tunnel to replicate the forces of your helmet trying to be pulled off your head at when you get over 120-ish

I think it is more about keeping cool in an Occulus isnt it?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

For that you only need a normal fan, not something that ramps up with your in game speed. Each to their own but like GT Virus I don't see the point for racing sims, seems a bit of a wank.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

It's obviously for realism... for those instances where your simulated windscreen and helmet have disappeared.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
pab

Post by pab »

I mostly drive open wheel cars so it's worked well for me, but I can see it working for closed cockpit cars as well, just run one of the fans and you get the effect of the wind/turbulence coming in the window (not to mention many closed cockpit cars run ducting to the driver anyway). No Shaun, it doesn't try to rip your head off, but the fans that Norbs showed are pretty strong, and do replicate the feel of an open cockpit car pretty well (and apparently flow straighteners add quite a bit to that, I'm hoping to get some made up soon).

For me it's all about immersion, just adds to FFB and Simvibe to help add texture to the experience. Once you've used it for a couple of races it's not something you think about all the time, but it's something you find you miss a lot when it's not running. It's just one more thing that helps your mind accept that you're sitting in a racecar doing 200+ rather than in a cockpit in your room going no-where. It's does help prevent fogging in the Rift, and as an added bonus I find it adds a nice high frequency (speed related) vibration and sound (that I can just hear though the headphones) that compliments Simvibe well.

I know someone who struggles with motion sickness driving with the rift, I'm interested to see if the fans help convince his mind that he's moving enough to help the sickness in a small way. For around $100 all up it's been a pretty good value addition I think.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Even without VR I think it would add quite a bit of immersion.
But they sure sound loud which would surely detract from the experience you're trying to add...?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote:Even without VR I think it would add quite a bit of immersion.
But they sure sound loud which would surely detract from the experience you're trying to add...?
the ones I have a fuck off loud. So they are going down the shed away from the bike. Sweet jesus they move a lot of air too.
pab

Post by pab »

norbs wrote:the ones I have a fuck off loud. So they are going down the shed away from the bike. Sweet jesus they move a lot of air too.
Not sure whether you've tested it yet as a complete setup, but a lot of the noise is the whine from the motor driver. There's been a lot of discussion on the iRacing forums about changing the pwm frequency to remove the whine, but whenever they do it causes the motor driver board to overheat.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

I personally don't get the fan thing either :P

Oh and all you guys with Load Cell brakes are cheaters. I just got a set of the Fanatec CSL Elite pedals and the ability to modulate the brake on entry is mental, I am in love. I hope they are reliable, the throttle and clutch are geared to the pots.. cat fluff magnet.
norbs

Post by norbs »

renesis37 wrote:I personally don't get the fan thing either :P

Oh and all you guys with Load Cell brakes are cheaters. I just got a set of the Fanatec CSL Elite pedals and the ability to modulate the brake on entry is mental, I am in love. I hope they are reliable, the throttle and clutch are geared to the pots.. cat fluff magnet.
You telling me using VR isnt a massive advantage? The ability to know when to turn into a corner from instinct as opposed to learning was huge for me. :D
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I never had any issues in LFS but braking in iRacing was always a bit of a struggle for me, getting the CSP V2s helped but it was the HE Pros that made the most difference I think. I don't know if they made me faster over a lap but I can be much more consistent. I'm not sure the load cell itself is really the main thing, I guess it plays into the design and feel of certain pedals like the clubsports but if you look at the HE pedals it doesn't actually contribute to the feel of them at all.

I would also agree that VR is an advantage to a certain extent, there are certain disadvantages like if you don't use the virtual mirror but the ability to look into the corners and the better spatial awareness helping to judge your speed in corners certainly helps.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Which is the best Racing Simulator? A very dangerous questing to ask in our humble community. Let’s be honest, people have been killed for less…

In this new GamerMuscle video, our daring British friend asks himself which of the current racing simulators would be the best choice when taking various features into account. To find out he evaluates features such as graphics, physics, sounds, tyre models and more. Then there is the price. Is your preferred simulator available withing your budget?

Whether it’s iRacing, rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom, Automobilista, Project CARS, or LFS, we are sure that one of them is your ultimate racing sim. Sadly enough, you will have to own them all in order to truly know which one is your personal favorite.
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Finally he has said something I agree with.

it is what you are looking for. There is no best for everyone.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

After suffering this issue myself I thought it worth posting here: G25/G27 not working after Windows 10 update
Microsoft has released a troublesome update for some of simracers using a G27/G25 Logitech steering wheel.
Logitech Gaming software updates to 8.83.85 version causes G27 to be recognized as a Driving Force wheel without clutch or degrees to be configured.
Dukester

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: RE: Re: Race Sim Tech & Tips

Post by r8response »

Duke wrote:After suffering this issue myself I thought it worth posting here: G25/G27 not working after Windows 10 update
Microsoft has released a troublesome update for some of simracers using a G27/G25 Logitech steering wheel.
Logitech Gaming software updates to 8.83.85 version causes G27 to be recognized as a Driving Force wheel without clutch or degrees to be configured.
This had been discussed here on arse a while back.

Solution was to remove any and all Logitech drivers/software and install an older version.

And then disband auto driver updates

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: RE: Re: Race Sim Tech & Tips

Post by Duke »

r8response wrote:
Duke wrote:After suffering this issue myself I thought it worth posting here: G25/G27 not working after Windows 10 update
This had been discussed here on arse a while back.

Solution was to remove any and all Logitech drivers/software and install an older version.

And then disband auto driver updates

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yep that's also what the article tells you with a step-by-step guide. ;)
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Thrustmaster has a new – higher-end – wheel, the TS-PC Racer. While there’s been much to-do over the Thrustmaster GT branded wheel that was spotted at the GT Sport London event earlier this year, the TS-PC Racer has come out of nowhere to become Thrustmaster’s flagship wheel. Featuring big spec numbers and a PC only focus, the soon to be released TS-PC Racer is vying hard for your attention this holiday season.

The TS-PC features a new brushless 40-watt motor that – Thrustmaster states – provides exceptional velocity (dynamic torque) which can be fully manifested in all racing conditions, from long stall curves (STALL mode) to super-responsive zigzags (DYNAMIC mode).
It also features a newly developed cooling system called “Motor Cooling Embedded” or MCE. The goal of MCE is to keep the motor from losing power due to rising temperatures, all while remaining silent. Thrustmaster claims this results in 50% more dynamic response and 4 times greater stall force compared to any other wheel from Thrustmaster.
The TS-PC Racer also receives a bump in resolution, coming in at 16-bits thanks to the new Field Oriented Control (F.O.C) that increases the precision of Thrustmaster’s H.E.A.R.T (HallEffect AccuRate Technology) system.
The TS-PC also features an “external TURBO power supply” that supplies continuous power – even at the peak power of 400 watts – keeping the wheel responsive no matter how busy your hands get. The power supply is toroidal shaped (round like a tire), ensuring optimized efficiency versus heat at 86%, thanks to its finless design.

The open-wheel inspired rim has 6 buttons, D-pad and 3-position rotary selector with push button function. It has a metal face, suede wheel grip covering and polished-brushed aluminum wheel-mounted sequential paddles. The rim – and any other Thrustmaster rim that’s part of the Thrustmaster eco-system – rotates between 270 and 1080 degrees.

And naturally, Thrustmaster’s T3PA pedals and TH8A shifter can also be connected to the TS-PC Racer, because it joins the ecosystem.

The Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer will be available on December 5th with a suggested retail price of USD$499.99.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

You've got to love Black Friday... This should help anyone looking for any RaceSim related discounts.

2016 Black Friday Deals for Sim Racers
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

This was posted on the iRacing forums, I can't confirm the accuracy but I suspect it's close enough.
Logitech DFGT: less than 2.5 Nm
Logitech G25: 2.5 Nm
Logitech G27: 2.3 Nm
Logitech G29: 2.1 Nm (tesed unit was not a retail release version of wheel)
Logitech G920 2.2 Nm
Fanatech GT3 v2: 2.6 Nm
Thrustmaster Tx: 3.9 Nm
Thrustmaster T500: 4.4 Nm
Fanatec CSW v1: 4.8 Nm
Fanatec CSL: >6.0 Nm (from FANATEC website)
Thrustmaster TS-PC: ~6.4 Nm (based of TM's own marketing stating "this wheel is 1.6x times the strength of a TX/T300")
Fanatec CSW v2: 7.1 Nm
Accuforce: 8 Nm to 13 Nm (depending on driver/mode settings)
OSW: 10 Nm to 20 Nm (depending on the motor used)
SimSteering (Leo Bodnar): 16 Nm (*rumored, also multiple motor options avail)
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Hey Guys, I'm after some advise & options on purchasing a Triple Monitor Desktop Mount.

I was looking at getting a FastTrackSims Overslung Triple Monitor Mount as it fits my purposes exactly. But with P&H & the $AUD it turns out it's just too expensive to justify (~$500AUD). So is there a local alternative that closely matches this?

My requirements are, it has to be desktop mountable/bolt-down (not free-standing), overslung to get the monitors over the wheel-base & close to the wheel, ability to have monitors at min 45 degrees (60 degrees, if required) and it's for 24inch screens. I have thought about building my own out of Aluminium Extrusion or UniStrut/EzyStrut but fear the cost may blow out given the need for special brackets & custom monitor mounting plates.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Norbs, I'll be calling you to pick your brain on that Unistrut monstrosity you built.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Cursed got me all inspired and built a similar pedal setup. Thanks for the idea!
pedal-stand.jpg
Had to lash out $6 for 2m of timber and I had a piece of scrap for where the pedals attach. Luckily had some bolts that fit the pedals lying around too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

:yes:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]