Apple Watch

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
plastik8

Re: Apple Watch

Post by plastik8 »

Who would put down $20k for a watch that has a non-replaceable battery, and can only be charged with now old-technology standard USB!? The thing will be outdated within 12 months. Unsupported by iOS in 3 years, and the battery completely dead within 5 years. You're left with a chunk of gold that your only option is to remove internals, melt it and get cash for the gold.

Also - the whole marathon runner clip in their keynote - Seemed pretty stupid to me. Anyone half serious about running has a dedicated GPS watch.

Having said those negative things - The Sport watch does look nice. I have a Pebble Steel and it has become just a part of my everyday "tech" life. When I'm wearing other watches, I continually check my wrist after any phone vibrations. The Apple Sport watch does look much nicer than the basic Pebble Steel. I'm personally tempted to wait until gen 2 - maybe battery life will be 2 days, and price will be slightly cheaper?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

WOW, this makes my Moto 360 look like a steal at those prices.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

So battery life is really between 18-72 hours? The larger model has slightly better life and a higher res screen.

@norbs, could well do I haven't checked the sites. One question I have is, I wonder what Apple think the life f the product will be. Typical iPhone span or maybe longer say like the iPad.
Montey

Post by Montey »

I'm happy with the Pebble that is on my wrist now, and the Pebble Time that will be on my wrist sometime around August.

Much cheaper, and 7-10 days of battery life instead of 18hrs.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I've got a Pebble too and quite like it however I never use it outside of work time.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I'm sure some people will devise some interesting apps for it and of course they'll sell shed-loads, but I think the battery life will stop it becoming prevalent.

If it gets a day of use out of the box (which got a round of applause ffs) then once you start actually using it you could find yourself with a $10,000 device on your wrist that doesn't do anything every evening.

I saw a Sony ad this morning saying their watch will do 2 days, which is probably what you need in reality to avoid battery anxiety.

Then again, maybe you could argue it's not a device you completely rely on as you still need your phone on you, so perhaps people will accept that.

Pebble are playing this very well. They were tweeting through the event to remind people their product does all this stuff already :)
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I have a Galaxy Gear 2, which gets 2 days easily. However, The Gear has no useful app's for it.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

According to macrumours, the battery is actually replaceable.

also..
There had been much talk over the Watch's battery life leading up to the event, with Apple yesterday confirming all-day battery life with mixed usage for the device. This boils down, according to the company, to 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30-minute workout with music playback via Bluetooth over the course of 18 hours.

I don't think this concern over 18 hours is an issue. You have to sleep! It'll just charge while you do that.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

After reading https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html, does that mean it roughly 18 hours + 72 hours of just being a watch (checking the time four times every hour)?
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Wabbit, do you know the Mha rating of the battery is? I can only find Apple's hour statistics.

Im just interested to see if they have managed to pack a bigger battery cell in there than some of the Wear watches out there. I know the 360 and the G watch are around the 300mha mark.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Nope. That's sort of what I meant with Norbs, there's just so many unknowns both technical and non that it's hard to understand if this device is a good option.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Bugger, I was also looking for info if there are two different size batteries for the two dif sized watches.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Actually, you need to wait for iFixit teardown to find out. Cause I don't think the battery will be apart of the S1 SOC.

Oh and yes two different battery sizes as you meantioned with two different resolutions.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I found these interesting.

A glimpse at how the Apple Watch is made (link)

Guided tours (link)

Wired article on the Apple Watch (link)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

So how is this gadget fairing in the reviews.
Ive read a few reviews but a lot are from main stream tech sites and no doubt with their flowery copy, they wreak of an paid Apple style review.

Are there any good unbiased reviews you blokes have come across?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

KNAPPO wrote:Are there any good unbiased reviews you blokes have come across?
I'm not sure that's possible yet. As for "all" companies pre-launch reviews they'll only had over units a week or so early to reviewers that have a mostly positive review to provide.

I've read/skimmed over... Re/code, Yahoo, Mashable, The Verge and Daring Fireball.

They all have interesting points and it's certainly a gen1 device. Looks like a few software updates are required to bring it up to speed and tweaking of workflows.

Rant time, these reviews (written and video) all highlighted to me is how pissed off I am with Android Wear, Motorola and LG. Are they even really trying? When you compare them on hardware, it's not even a contest and then on the software front, c'mon Google, Android Wear does fuck all compared from what I can see.

Luckily for the moment Android Wear and Apple Watch aren't competing.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

wabbit wrote:The tear down has started.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+W ... ionid=HEAD
It's bloody amazing that these can be made in such numbers. I'd love to see the equipment in the factories.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

wabbit

Post by wabbit »

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Jebus, what a rip!

It must be $22,400.00 to change the screen on the gold one ;)
richo

Post by richo »

Good to see the watch glass breaks in exactly the same manner as their phone screens..
[]D [] []v[] []D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

As much as I think the watch is a piece of overpriced shit. I've given my phone a battering and haven't broken the screen. In fact I had dropped my previous one onto stone from about chest height a couple of times and never broke. The only time I've had a broken screen was from an epic car accident. Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Great timing norbs :D

DisplayMate's in depth report
http://www.displaymate.com/Apple_Watch_ShootOut_1.htm