Wheel advice. Logitech or Fanatec?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Cursed

Re: Wheel advice. Logitech or Fanatec?

Post by Cursed »

News on the CSW V2 - I did in fact have a screw loose - whodathunk? It turns out that a grub screw on one of the pulleys had ejected itself. As it was a simple fix (put the screw back with some Loctite), they're only going to bill me for the shipping. Next time I'll crack the thing open myself to see if I can work it out before sending it off.

To celebrate this result and to give myself a delayed Xmas/birthday gift, I've picked up a new Universal Hub ($237 shipped), and grabbed this wheel off eBay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191482935851

It looks identical to Fanatec's "Classic" wheel rim (apart from the centre hub, which I prefer the Momo one anyway) and is about half its price. It's 35cm in diameter so it will be my vintage racer and truck driving wheel.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

The CSW v2 base is back in service. Issue fixed.

I have noticed a very big difference between the v1 and v2 bases. If you set the DRI mode to reduce the internal friction on the v1, you get this weird FFB deadspot around the middle which I find really unpleasant. It's an annoying trade-off to overcome all that friction from the belts and pulleys. Having the v2 back up and running made me very happy.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Good news it was something simple and hasn't cost you much.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Has anyone here got the clubsport pedals?. If so have you tried them on carpet?. I dont have a rig so wont be able to hardmount :(.
hylas

Post by hylas »

TIMMY30 wrote:Has anyone here got the clubsport pedals?. If so have you tried them on carpet?. I dont have a rig so wont be able to hardmount :(.
I have them but mine are hard mounted.

They do have some grippy bottoms but the problem that I had when they weren't hard mounted was that because you need to put a lot of force into braking, you would have the front of the base lift off the ground instead of sliding away from you.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I have the v2 CSP's work well on carpet for me. Although they do have part of a frame to rest against. They aren't hard mounted though.

I would expect they would be even better in terms of slipping than on floorboards etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

I can have the back of them up against a wall but i think like Hylas said. The front might lift when braking. Hmm...

Dex what do you mean by part of a frame?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I had mine attached to the obutto ozone pedal plate which was angled down toward the front and even then they'd sometimes lift, if you set the brake up pretty stiff then if they don't slide they will lift no doubt. Generally I would say don't bother if they can't be mounted but you could always do something like mount them on a bit of plywood or something like that which you could weigh down somehow. I think I've also seen guys make up basic wood frames for this sort of thing.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Yeah. Dont think ill bother. Too much money for me to end up with pedals i cant even use. :(
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

My two Universal Hub based wheel rims:
Newly acquired wheel on the left (had to hack the horn button to fill the centre) and the old G25 rim on the right.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Mine doesn't lift at all. I'll post a pic of what I mean tonight when I get home. But really there's nothing holding mine down from lifting, just sliding. They are fairly heavy.

hylas

Post by hylas »

DexterPunk wrote:Mine doesn't lift at all. I'll post a pic of what I mean tonight when I get home. But really there's nothing holding mine down from lifting, just sliding. They are fairly heavy.

It would also have to do with the angle of your legs to the pedals tho. I have the same seat as Sarsippius and it won't slide at all with the pedal plate on an angle, even with the pedals on the softest setting they will most certainly lift if not locked down. Put me at a computer desk where the pedals are below me more so then in front of me and I'm sure there would be some difference in what gives out first when force is applied. But yeah, with the pedal plate on my setup, the pedals are out in front of me, a little bit below but mostly forward. The grippy feet sticks to the plate very well, so the only way it can give is to flip forward which like I said, happens very easily.

I couldn't use them if they weren't bolted down, it's not a nice feeling when braking to have the pedals try to front flip undernear you.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I guess that's true yeah... I have an old Recaro seat bolted to a frame me and a mate constructed. The driving position is similar to tin top, rather than layed back F1 style.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I've always used an office chair for racing. Once you go to a load-cell brake system you really do need to consider somehow bracing the pedals. My problem was always sliding, rather than flipping. I broke the carpet gripper on two sets of G25 pedals before I turned to bracing the pedals against the wall.

That's what brought me to my current solution: http://www.arseforums.com/phpBB/viewtop ... 25#p425382

it's not perfect, but is much better. Now when I slam on the brakes too hard , I tend to pull on the wheel for more force and cause the chair and pedals to slide. That does not happen very often, though.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Ok so it was your little frame I had in my mind Cursed. Timmy I wouldn't give up on the idea, have a think about it and do something similar to what Cursed has. Moving away from a pot based brake is definitely worthwhile.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Cheers guys. Food for thought definately. Cursed's setup looks pretty do-able for sure.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

This is my setup. I have no issues with pedals moving.

ImageImage

TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Hey fellas,

Has anyone here bought their fanatec gear directly from fanatec AU website as opposed to Pagnian? I can save myself about $300 going through Fanatec directly!

Cheers guys
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I've bought all my stuff directly from Fanatec AU. No complaints.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Cheers Cursed :)
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

As did I, I don't know why Pagnian bother.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I posted in your thread on the iRacing forum Timmy but for the guys here there is a bit of a shitstorm complaint thread in the hardware section of the iRacing forum and Thomas the CEO of Fanatec let slip that there's a DD wheel in development and it sounds like it's not all that far away. Either they have some already going to beta testers or will do in the not too distant future.

I'm hoping they might offer a similar pre-order discount for CSW owners like they did with the V2 base.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Cheers Sarsi.. Are you Duane?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah that's me :)
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Had my CSW V2 7 weeks. Today mid race display stopped working and so did the paddles.

Sent off my support form today. Lets hope the reviews on their support arent true :melt: