Help me buy...

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
J.D.
Rat

Help me buy...

Post by J.D. »

A gigabit wireless modem/router.

Need at least 4 - preferably 5 - gigabit ports on the back and good wireless performance. What is considered "good" in wireless terms? 300Mbps? I don't know.

Had good results with Billion in the past and would consider them again. Have heard good things about Asus too.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Help me buy...

Post by ysu »

I've looked and asked around for pretty much exactly this, about 6 months ago, however what I've been told: the best thing is to buy a really good router and a decent little modem, not an all-on-one.
So I did this.
The recommendation was for a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 modem - usually around $240, but found one on sale for $160 :)
And the modem is just a little TP-Link TDW 8960N. Cost me $50. It does the job that a modem has to, and even has better speeds and quicker startup compared to my previous billion modem.

When the NBN gets here I can put modem away, and use the router. In the meantime, they're both used.

The Nighthawk has a really good wifi connectivity. Nice management interface. Good little piece overall.

I'm pleased with this setup, might work for you as well.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

ysu wrote:When the NBN gets here...
:fall:

I would usually recommend getting something for now and not buying tech to future proof, especially if we are talking about 12+ months away at a minimum.

Although I've been out of the tech side for a while (and a bit rusty), do you have any other requirements you can think of JD? E.g. DynDNS client, multiple Xbox live connections at once, DHCP reservations, 3G fallback, VoIP, Wireless ac, etc...

PS I've used a lot of Billion gear over the years and they make both great and not so great products (currently using a billion 7800N which has issues with Assetto Corsa :(). TP-Link is a great budget brand (using a 16 port Gigabit switch, 300Mpbs Wireless N Access Point and 3G Router), but it really comes down to how much you want to spend. Pick a budget and then get the best you can within your limit. :)
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Another vote for the nighthawk.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

AstrO wrote:do you have any other requirements you can think of JD? E.g. DynDNS client, multiple Xbox live connections at once, DHCP reservations, 3G fallback, VoIP, Wireless ac, etc...
Umm...nope because to be honest I don't understand that stuff. I'm open to any explanations though, since you are always on the money. :)

I'm mostly using my wireless router to access movies I have (legally) copied to my NAS. I intend to continue this and even expand it.

Trouble is, my NAS speeds are tied to the speed of the cable post: 100Mbps, which is not very good anymore.

That means uploading from my computer or downloading (legally) from the web could be a problem. In the case of the web though, I think I'll be limited by externals, rather than the 100Mbps port.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

I had one of these before I got cable and it was great! Espically considering the price. Easily enough WIFI bandwidth to stream HD content.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=22905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Just to double check, this is for an ADSL2+ connection?
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Yes.

By the way, if I'm going to do a split system, what modem does everyone recommend?

AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

A cheap modem (e.g. TP-Link) should be fine for that task. When a modem is run in bridged mode, it really doesn't do a whole lot and extra features are just wasted (as the modem is passing all the hard work off to the router).

This modem is only $21 and would be fine in a bridged setup... http://www.msy.com.au/viconline/periphe ... witch.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a heads up, it's more of a pain to setup a bridged modem + router setup. So if you want more of a plug and play arrangement, then an all-in-one is probably a better option.

Also, here is a Billion with a shit load of features, but I don't have any first had experience with it... http://www.msy.com.au/viconline/periphe ... gabit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Many thanks!

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Also depends on the wireless devices you want to connect to.. for speed the latest AC works wonders being in the 5gig range.

A bit of over kill.
Asus RT-AC87U for speed would work wonders with the beam antennas and dual spectrum 2.4GHz/5GHz.

Eg. different speeds.
802.11a : 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54Mbps
802.11b : 1, 2, 5.5, 11Mbps
802.11g : 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54Mbps
802.11n : up to 450Mbps
802.11n TurboQAM :up to600Mbps
802.11ac : up to 1734Mbps
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Thanks Wobbler. I have a 300Mb/s PCIe adapter but if I'm honest, I don't know exactly which band it is (other than 802.11n).

I think the router AstrO linked to is probably the neatest solution for me and I have been using Billion for quite a while now.

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

A couple of weeks ago I got the TP Link modem that Gizmo linked to and I love it. Much more stable than the shitty Netgear I had.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Update

Well, it's taken a while to get my head around this and in the meantime, my old modem/router has decided to pack it in anyway.

At the moment I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.msy.com.au/viconline/periphe ... witch.html

paired with this:

http://www.pcworld.com/product/1250028/ ... outer.html

I'm also gunna need one of these:

http://www.msy.com.au/viconline/periphe ... apter.html

or the Asus equivalent.

What do we all think?

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Do you need to get a modem router and a router as well for some reason? Just get a modem, and a separate good router. I think I have a Western Digital one kicking around at my parents place, dual band etc, and it was rubbish. It was a pricey router, lucky I paid way less than half price for it at the time. I'd be fairly careful and read plenty of reviews. I haven't read anything about Asus for a long while. I remember the Linksys routers always high up on the list. And usually hear good things about Billion. I have no experience with them though.

Any reason you have to go wireless instead of using a CAT5/6 cable? I assume the adapter card is for a desktop?
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Dex, top is Modem/router but 1 port, mid is 4 port wireless/router and bottom is wireless card for said devices.

As far as the how good is the Asus product, my DSL-N55U_C1 has been going flawless.. current up time 92days.

3pc wired, rest is wireless 3laptops, 5phones. 4other devices.. no issues with 2.4 or 5Ghz network, +other people that come over.

It would be more of the device you are after, unless you want a septate modem.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

The Asus RT-AC66U gets consistently good reviews and is cheaper than the Linksys (which would otherwise be top of the list). The Asus is just a router, as far as i know. It has no internal modem. Feel free to put me straight on this.

The current one is a Billion but the range performance is pants and always has been. There is another Billion in this range but the Asus and Linksys routers get better reviews. The linksys looks great but it's about $60-70 more and I don't think it's got a modem:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/linksys-e ... ter-review

The Billion isn't totally out of the question but I'd need to be convinced.

The Netgear Nighthawk is in the hunt too but suffers from a big pricetag. What might get it over the line however, is its performance though walls, which is a major issue for me:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/802 ... ,4107.html

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Nah that router has no modem.

The first one does, and a router which is why I was confused (I know what he posted wobbly). You don't need a modem router and another router. Just a cheap modem and good router.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

That one is only 24 bucks...

Looks like the Netgear is about $190-200 and the Asus is slightly cheaper. Both require a modem.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yes it's $24 but i'd still grab a modem only version. Saves having to turn off the wifi on that device as it may interfere with the wifi on the router.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Mmmm...didn't know that. Cheers.

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

There is no Wifi on the device to interfere, it is just a straight up wired box.

Power, Phone line and Network cable.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Nah, my bad. I saw 'modem router' and assumed there was. Even though it's wrong, 99% of the time a product with that written on their product they're are advertising a modem / wifi device.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Dex, All good.. that is why I put it in the other post.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Went with the Asus. All good so far.

Thanks all. Much appreciated your help.