HTC Vive

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Brett_S

Re: HTC Vive

Post by Brett_S »

Hover Junkers and Budget Cuts look fun, the others not so much. Hopefully demo's are available so you can try before you buy.

Love the part when he tries to put his head through the floor!

Any recommendations for a video card? My current one isn't up to scratch (totally failed the test), but the next gen probably won't be out by the time I get the Vive.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Righteous wrote:
Duke wrote:And I saying it but this is another reason VR will struggle to be mainstream anytime soon. We all know the VHS vs Beta debacle.
:oldie:

What's a VHS?

I remember when there was a Blu-Ray v HD DVD debacle..... :D

Don't shoot it down before it's had a chance to fly Duke.
Debacle?

I'm with you Righty, lets see how it all plays out. No use talking about it yet as it is too early. And if you havent used one, you might not like it anyway.

Just think Duke, you could get one delivered today, and not use it til 2018! :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

GTX970 is the min spec recommended by Oculus and HTC, but some games like Elite have 980 as their min spec.

I guess it depends how much money you want to spend and whether you might sell it later in the year when the next set of cards come out.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I'm just going to sit with the Rift. I don't have the space to dance around anyway.

It really is pointless getting buyer's remorse before you've actually bought anything.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Back to reality for me.. After adding up the cost of the Vive plus video card and now a new Pc since mine just died the old bonus wasn't enough to keep the dream viable.

Will look into it again towards the end of the year.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
norbs

Post by norbs »

Holy feckers. Just found out there is some sort of deal going through work for these. I am trying to find out if it is one per employee. Might be able to grab 2. :)
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/about_ikea/ne ... al-Reality
IKEA Launches Pilot Virtual Reality (VR) Kitchen Experience for HTC Vive on Steam
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Norbs I'm interested. Depends on when though. I'm in South America for 6 weeks soon. Leaving the 18th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
norbs

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:Norbs I'm interested. Depends on when though. I'm in South America for 6 weeks soon. Leaving the 18th.

:yes:

I am still investigating. :)
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

After speaking to Darren last night I think I will wait until they have a true 1440p+ per eye before I get one. I realise his DK2 is lower res than the consumer versions of each product but it is still too low. I hope once they get the first round of devices out there using existing screens from phones they will have the cash to make a proper superultramegawide panel that has a 32:9 aspect ratio. The graphics card wouldn't need to be any faster as it is already out putting that res.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I think you've got some things wrong there Renz.

At the moment the Rift and Vive are doing 1080 x 1200 per eye. They are separate screens, not one screen.

If I understand correctly, you're waiting for 2540x1440 per eye? That's a significant increase in resolutiuon and you'll need a lot more GPU power to render those extra pixels.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Resolution isn't the be all and end all when it comes to VR, of course more will be better but things like pixel fill are more important for reducing the screen door effect for example. I also don't think either the Vive or Rift are using what you could call existing phone screens, they're custom built as far as i know. The point about GPUs isn't quite correct either, for a given resolution VR rendering is quite a bit more intensive.

Seriously I wouldn't write off the current gen HMDs just yet, you've got nothing to lose to just wait until someone you know has one and you can test it out. You just won't know if it's good enough for you until you try it. I've been using my DK2 in iRacing full time for nearly two years now and despite the significant compromises there's no way I'd go back to screens. If my DK2 broke today I just wouldn't race until I either got another DK2 or my CV1 arrives.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Ah ok, I'll have to do some research. I was fairly sure the DK2 is a note 3 screen so 1920x1080 split into 960x1080 and the Vive is an LCD based phone screen (smaller subpixels) @ 2560x1440 split into 1280x1440, it is then stretched to a normal aspect ratio via the lenses and the gfx card is still seeing 1920x1080 x2 or 2560x1440 x2.
pab

Post by pab »

DK2 is the split screen, but CV1 is two separate 1080 x 1200 screens.

After playing around with 1.3 with the DK2 this past week I'm thinking I'll just stick with the DK2 for a while, I really can't afford $1k right now, and the DK2 will also be easier on my hardware. I reckon I can live with it for a while, and see if the prices eventually come down (I'm hoping they'll eventually be available in shops, which should make them cheaper to get here).
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

renesis37 wrote:Ah ok, I'll have to do some research. I was fairly sure the DK2 is a note 3 screen so 1920x1080 split into 960x1080 and the Vive is an LCD based phone screen (smaller subpixels) @ 2560x1440 split into 1280x1440, it is then stretched to a normal aspect ratio via the lenses and the gfx card is still seeing 1920x1080 x2 or 2560x1440 x2.
Ah crap sorry. I've missed something along the line. Are you talking about picking up a DK2?
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

No i wasn't, i was just wrong :) Excuse my ignorance.

I will have to try them both when I can.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

renesis37 wrote:No i wasn't, i was just wrong :) Excuse my ignorance.

Roger.

SO no, they aren't using phone screens, they've had custom panels developed. But rendering two separate images at the resolutions you are talking about will require a serious GPU boost. I doubt the next gen of stuff would even be up to that task.

It's not just the resolution that's the issue. It's rendering 2 different frames simultaneously. They are very similar images, but to get the stereoscopic effect, they have to have a slightly different perspective. The world would have no depth if it was just rendering the same image on both eyes.

I think once they optimize SLI for VR, then we'll be able to see some big leaps in resolution. I know it's in the works, but from what I can tell, it's still not well implemented.

Then of course there is the issue of ramming such an enormous amount of pixels on such a small panel. We will need another leap like Apple made with the retina technology on their stuff.

We have a long time to go before we get crystal clear, low latency VR. But having never tried any thing VR related to this point, I'm pretty keen to get my headset.
norbs

Post by norbs »

renesis37 wrote:No i wasn't, i was just wrong :) Excuse my ignorance.

Holy fuck. Am I reading that wrong or did someone on the internets just admit they were wrong? :yikes: :yikes:

Well done rens. :yes:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I've used the DK2 a fair bit, and experienced similar res to the current consumer releases with some other stuff. There's an upgrade there, but not a massive one. I actually don't think it matters much. You really stop noticing the resolution once immersed. It's not the same as looking at a 2D panel.

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Go back a number of years when some games came out, best graphics ever, so realistic. Now go play the same games and see what you have gotten used of.

Game play needs to get you hooked over what it looks like.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

wobblysauce wrote:Game play needs to get you hooked over what it looks like.
And this is why I'll be giving LFS a good spanking when my Rift arrives.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
richo

Post by richo »

Got to say the demos look impressive if a bit too cartoonish but the tech looks pretty cool.

I won't be buying either one of them until I can give them a go.
[]D [] []v[] []D
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

It's definitely something you have to try yourself. I'm happy to demo Rift CV1 to people in Sydney when I get it.

I probably made it sound worse than it really is but it's a matter of how much you're willing to give up for the benefits you get. For me I can live with the blurry distant vision to get the immersion and freedom to look around but I know others aren't. in my opinion it's miles better than a single monitor, but the trade offs are a lot greater vs triple monitors.
pab wrote:After playing around with 1.3 with the DK2 this past week I'm thinking I'll just stick with the DK2 for a while, I really can't afford $1k right now, and the DK2 will also be easier on my hardware. I reckon I can live with it for a while, and see if the prices eventually come down (I'm hoping they'll eventually be available in shops, which should make them cheaper to get here).
You might not have much choice there unfortunately. They've said it's only supported in 1.3 to allow devs time to transition to CV1 and it's not supported in Oculus Home, though it works currently. We don't know if it will work with future runtime versions. The question at that point is whether OpenVR will support old runtimes. If so then DK2 may have extended life as an OpenVR headset with Steam games.
pab

Post by pab »

DarrenM wrote:It's definitely something you have to try yourself. I'm happy to demo Rift CV1 to people in Sydney when I get it.

I probably made it sound worse than it really is but it's a matter of how much you're willing to give up for the benefits you get. For me I can live with the blurry distant vision to get the immersion and freedom to look around but I know others aren't. in my opinion it's miles better than a single monitor, but the trade offs are a lot greater vs triple monitors.
pab wrote:After playing around with 1.3 with the DK2 this past week I'm thinking I'll just stick with the DK2 for a while, I really can't afford $1k right now, and the DK2 will also be easier on my hardware. I reckon I can live with it for a while, and see if the prices eventually come down (I'm hoping they'll eventually be available in shops, which should make them cheaper to get here).
You might not have much choice there unfortunately. They've said it's only supported in 1.3 to allow devs time to transition to CV1 and it's not supported in Oculus Home, though it works currently. We don't know if it will work with future runtime versions. The question at that point is whether OpenVR will support old runtimes. If so then DK2 may have extended life as an OpenVR headset with Steam games.
Ah, OK, I'd seen people referring to support for at least 12 months, they must have just been making assumptions. we'll let's see how long the DK2 can keep me going for a make a decision when I have to.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."