Re: HTC Vive

Post by Duke »

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

it works really well in flight sims

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Boop..

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

LOL!
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Well I got to have a 15 minute play with a Vive this morning. I dont know what i was more impressed with, the Vive, which was phenomenal or the Alienware laptop with a separate GPU box. I didnt even know these things existed. I am scared to look how much it is worth, but fuck me, what a machine.

I am yet to try the Oculus CV1, but compared to the DK2, the Vive is streets ahead. So much more clear to my eyes. I am hoping he comes back on the weekend to give it another try. And maybe even use the CV1 and Vive side by side.

VR is such a weird sensation though. I really find it hard to explain. The Vive seems to have larger screens or something. It felt better to use. It actually has me thinking about getting one.

One thing I want to know, how do these young fuckers afford all this shit?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

norbs wrote: One thing I want to know, how do these young fuckers afford all this shit?
I got a job :lol:

Edit - I'd be interested to know your thoughts comparing the two in racing. The oculus is for my little girl, with the perk being I can use it racing. But if the vive is a better option then I would consider that for me. I am setting my gaming rig up in the corner of the shed with a similar cockpit build to Duke but with no screen. The idea being to use the VR HMD. Let us know if you get to have that comparo
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

norbs wrote:One thing I want to know, how do these young fuckers afford all this shit?
The Hobby Fund. Years ago in an effort to lose weight I committed to a budget of $50/week for lunches/coffees/etc. Whatever I don't spend from that budget is mine.

Result: I usually don't buy lunch more than once a week (@ $10 or less) and I dropped about 12 kg. The Fund is currently at about $2800 after I had to replace my TrackIR 5 a couple of weeks ago. I could afford it with no impact on the household budget.

I imagine this guy your talking of doesn't have Mrs/kids/mortgage to spend on.

Still a month away from my delivery window for CV1.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Scorptec posted on OCAU that they will be selling Vive's in mid November for $1399.

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Game ... 65843-VIVE

Checked shopbot and staticice. A few others have it listed for $1399, but ARC have it listed for $1349

http://www.arc.com.au/product/59794
Duderino

Post by Duderino »

I tried the Portal game for Vive a while back, and it was so much fun! If more titles like that would come along I'd concider buying it.
“I don't have a drinking problem 'Cept when I can't get a drink.”

― Tom Waits
norbs

Post by norbs »

I got to use the Vive in AC last night.

I wish I hadn't. :D
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

LOL - I gave Bibi a go on a plastic google-cardboard sort of viewer the other night and she was nauseous for the rest of the night.
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:LOL - I gave Bibi a go on a plastic google-cardboard sort of viewer the other night and she was nauseous for the rest of the night.

Well this was actually a good experience. Too good. I have no idea why, but the Vive seems a lot better to me than the Rift. The guy that owns them both thinks the opposite. The Rift still feels like Ned Kellys helmet to me.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

I dont find them much different for me, whats the issue with the rift for you? The rift has a smaller sweet spot due to the way the lenses are set up, ive had them back to back as my cousin has a vive. The vive was less comfortable for me. Apparently the vive is better for people with glasses, do you have glasses? The vive is a bit brighter but you dont notice that once your eyes adjust.. unless you have issues with night vision. My mate has fukt cones and the rift is too dull for him. Both are pretty good and i'd be happy with either.

So you buying one?! Maybe wait for the LG one?
norbs

Post by norbs »

renesis37 wrote:I dont find them much different for me, whats the issue with the rift for you? The rift has a smaller sweet spot due to the way the lenses are set up, ive had them back to back as my cousin has a vive. The vive was less comfortable for me. Apparently the vive is better for people with glasses, do you have glasses? The vive is a bit brighter but you dont notice that once your eyes adjust.. unless you have issues with night vision. My mate has fukt cones and the rift is too dull for him. Both are pretty good and i'd be happy with either.

So you buying one?! Maybe wait for the LG one?
Well that goes to show how different it is for everyone. the guy that owns them wears glasses, and he prefers the Rift. And he wears big chunky fucking glasses like brain from the Thunderbirds. Put it this way, I was showing him the soldering I did on the Arduino I did and he couldnt fucking see it without a massive magnifying glass.

It might be this sweet spot you speak of, not sure. I only used the Vive last night. And not for long, as it took fucking ages to get going. And it still looked like everything was slightly shrunk. Something about worlds scale what ever the fuck that is.

And nope, wont be buying one. Just not for me.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

That shrunk look is an AC artifact with revive or what ever, AC only has native rift support. Rift looks great in AC and scale is stop on.

Once they get more comfortable/slim and higher res it will be hard for anyone to say no I reckon.
norbs

Post by norbs »

renesis37 wrote:That shrunk look is an AC artifact with revive or what ever, AC only has native rift support. Rift looks great in AC and scale is stop on.

Once they get more comfortable/slim and higher res it will be hard for anyone to say no I reckon.
Nope, not any more. Is in development but is part of the game now.

Update v1.13

- Added OpenVR/Vive support (beta)
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Oh there you go, not sure what was up then.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

They did have some scale issues early on with their rift support. Probably just a bug they need to sort out.

Do you have a larger size head? I've seen people say the Vive suits larger melons better. I have the Rift straps fully extended and it's still on the tight side sometimes. Haven't tried a Vive yet.
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:They did have some scale issues early on with their rift support. Probably just a bug they need to sort out.

Do you have a larger size head? I've seen people say the Vive suits larger melons better. I have the Rift straps fully extended and it's still on the tight side sometimes. Haven't tried a Vive yet.

head like a balloon Darren. :)

Something about world scale apparently. No idea what that means. There seems to be a lot to set up with them.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

I have a HUGE head and the rift is bloody tight, i had to have many scans as a baby as they thought something was wrong, my son is the same :P

Maybe sim racers have big heads.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

norbs wrote:Something about world scale apparently. No idea what that means. There seems to be a lot to set up with them.
If they don't have the fov or lens correction warping done properly things can look too big or too small. With one of the early bugs everything looked about 1/2 size, so you felt like you were driving kids pedal cars around :)

There's a little bit of set up to get the sensors and everything configured, but once it's done it rarely needs tweaking. It's not something that you'd set up for a Friday night then pack away when you're done. My sensors are all wall mounted so that the whole room is covered, including the cockpit. Means I can play anything and not have to change the set up at all.