VPN's for noobs

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Re: VPN's for noobs

Post by Hazelb »

On a side note. Do we know when the Telcos will commence collection? I guess that then leads to how quickly one would need to look at some sort of privacy measures
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I heard 2017 on the radio today. But have seen no details of that.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I used the laws passing as the trigger for me to get off my arse and do something about it.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I'm also wondering what if anything people should do about secure SMS and even phone calls?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Speaking data retention, and perhaps related internet filtering... Anyone else been blocked from the fishing hole?

All good, it loaded eventually... I was thinking for a second it had been black listed or taken down etc.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

How would one VPN and watch the BBC Sports F1 coverage live?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Hola unblocker is supposed to work but the stream doesn't start for me.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:How would one VPN and watch the BBC Sports F1 coverage live?
Just VPN to a point in the UK and open it up if it is free over there?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Hey all,

So I've done the Getflix thing so I can use American Netflix on my PC. Does this mean my whole PC is now behind a VPN or just for Netflix purposes?. i.e will this enable me to do obtain things from TD without any worries?

Sorry for the noobish question!

Tim
plastik8

VPN's for noobs

Post by plastik8 »

TIMMY30 wrote:Hey all,

So I've done the Getflix thing so I can use American Netflix on my PC. Does this mean my whole PC is now behind a VPN or just for Netflix purposes?. i.e will this enable me to do obtain things from TD without any worries?

Sorry for the noobish question!

Tim

Get flix is a DNS service, not a VPN.

Basically, DNS is just used to trick websites into thinking you're based in a different geo location. It does not hide your traffic.

VPN on the other hand, makes a private connection between your PC and a terminal VPN server. Usually the terminal server is somewhere that won't cough up your details to anyone!

So, to answer your question; Getflix won't hide any of one's details if one used TD etc.

Anyway, if you need more info, you can google VPN vs DNS.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I just bought a years subscription to https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

gets good reviews etc. and no bandwidth limits.

Secure VPN Account
Encrypted WiFi
P2P and VoIP Support
PPTP, OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec
5 devices simultaneously
Multiple VPN Gateways
Unlimited Bandwidth
SOCKS5 Proxy Included
No traffic logs
Instant Setup
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

So Dex, does that one allow you to set it up through your router? I've used witopia before so that's who I was going to go with again but I really have no idea which VPNs would allow me to have every device in the house connect or just the PC it's installed on. And would I be able to switch such a thing (going through the router) on and off easily?

I'm going to sign up to a VPN before I grab GoT.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Haha yeah the GoT thing inspired me.

I don't think this will setup on a router. But to be honest I still don't fully understand some of this tech. All I know is it allows 5 devices to be on it simultaneously. I can also switch it on on my phone.

It does seem to cripple speed though, which is quite disappointing. Things run heaps faster if I choose Australia as my location. I have no idea if this is less private if you set it to your own location or not. If you set it to 'auto' it connects to somewhere in California.

Anyway, for $7 a month, or $40 for a year (which is what I went for), I didn't think it was a huge amount of money to give it a go.

Turning it off and on is very easy.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I'm also with PIA.
Dex: No problem using the Australia server either, it's still routing your traffic through a different I.P to your own.

I haven't tried setting it up on my router, but it is possible.
Steve
---
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah I saw the IP change. I just wondered if setting it to your same country would make it a little easier to trace. Although It probably really doesn't matter. I actually don't download much on torrents etc. I mainly just don't like government trying to take away privacy.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I suppose the issue with traffic emerging in AU is whether the content of the traffic can be scrutinised by local agencies and whether that traffic can give away your identity.

I'm not clear on exactly how they're defining metadata for the purposes of this surveillance program, but depending on how deep it goes some identifying information could be there.

You might also want to look at where you resolve your DNS queries too and whether they go through the tunnel. If they then go back to your ISP for resolution, that could also give clues to who you are and what you're looking at.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

WiTopia is a good one. I've used it before to watch F1 and play games with a slow release to Oz via steam. Didn't miss a beat the whole time I used it. It will be what I return too in time, if need be.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I grabbed witopia again. Let it pick the best performing server for grabbing some shows the other night, opened google and noticed I was at google.ae and then later .fr!
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I've been using WiTopia too, quite happy.

I've also wondered if people use browser plug-ins like https://disconnect.me/disconnect#. I know it's not exactly a VPN thing, just in the similar area of privacy.

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... say-choice
Virtual private networks (VPNs) could be blocked under new copyright legislation being considered by the Senate, according to Australian consumer advocacy group Choice.

VPNs are used by hundreds of thousands of Australians to access overseas content online.

But they could be blocked by the Copyright Amendment (Online Infringement) Bill 2015, which was introduced to parliament last month.

If it is passed, copyright owners would be able to apply for a federal court order requiring internet service providers to block overseas sites whose primary purpose is infringing copyright or facilitating the infringement of copyright.

While the bill is designed to target BitTorrent sites, such as the Pirate Bay, there are concerns other online services such as VPNs and digital storage lockers could fall victim.

The campaigns manager for Choice, Erin Turner, says at least 684,000 Australian households currently employ VPNs to bypass geoblocks and access overseas content at globally competitive prices.
That's a lot more people using VPN's than I would have thought.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

There's a lot of legitimate international enterprise and personal business that occurs via VPNs. I don't think this would be politically an easy thing to just switch off. I do not underestimate the political stupidity employed in this country, however.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Cursed wrote:There's a lot of legitimate international enterprise and personal business that occurs via VPNs. I don't think this would be politically an easy thing to just switch off. I do not underestimate the political stupidity employed in this country, however.
Yup. No VPN means the bride and I cant work from home.

Stupid fucking politicians trying to stop something with out understanding what it does.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Wouldn't a lot of politicians use vpn's as well? No doubt it'd be legal for them.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Are the politicians even suggesting it yet, or is this just a bit of FUD?
richo

Post by richo »

Unworkable and stupid law there are way too many legitimate uses for vpn's . Good luck with that one .
[]D [] []v[] []D