VPN's for noobs

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

VPN's for noobs

Post by DexterPunk »

With all this data retention business, I'm guessing a lot more of us are going to want to get to grips with VPN's and how to set one up properly. I thought I would start a thread here as there's a lot of great tech help on ARSE.

Just wondering what the best solution would be for a whole home network to go through a VPN instead of just a single computer? Is a VPN router a good idea? I'd like any device or computer that connects to my wifi to go through a VPN.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: VPN's for noobs

Post by norbs »

Just be careful with that Dex, as some VPN services will only give you so much data per month.

I will paste this here for people to read.

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-servi ... on-140315/
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

To add to Dex's post.

I'd like to be able to run my PS3/WDTV thru my vpn (for american netflix), but not my whole network.
Trouble is... there is no option on either platform.

Anyone know if it's possible to select an I.P. range in a router to connect to a VPN, but leave all other connections untouched?
Steve
---
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Similar situation here. Would like a VPN that I can turn on and off and choose which devices connect through it. I used Witopia a while ago when BBC had F1 but not sure if that does what I need now.
Last edited by Exar Kun on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Lifehacker article, w/o looking too deep into it.
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/03/fi ... oviders-3/

Yeah I'm not on a VPN yet, either, to be honest I've never felt the need. But if they do the data retention, I'll simply have to. I've too much at stake online to let someone steal it all with an easy movement.

If anyone is using a service already, I'd be happy to read about their experiences!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I'm going to be embarking on an experiment shortly at home. I've just purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS 304. It's an Intel Atom based device that will allow me to install "apps" as well as some standard Linux fare. I already pay for a VPN service from Octane VPN, so that will be my starting point. Their service is entirely compatible with OpenVPN. My plan is something like (note the bullets):
  • Install openvpn package on the ReadyNAS
  • Pick a VPN endpoint in a foreign place who might not cooperate with our overseers
  • Configure openvpn to talk to VPN endpoint in uncooperative country
  • Configure DNS resolution on the NAS to use a free DNS service in a far-flung locale
  • Install squid or some other free and capable web-proxying server on the ReadyNAS
  • Configure the web proxy to not cache data or log
  • Point http/s enabled devices and browsers at this proxy (TV, XBMC box, web browsers)
This means that any web browsing will go through the VPN. I can disable the proxy on a browser/device if I need Australian localised content (e.g. iStream or other catch-up services).

I don't use torrents, but I could run a torrent downloader on the NAS as well and it would also make use of the vpn pipe.

I wouldn't want all my outgoing network traffic to go through the VPN as it would do horrible things to online multiplayer game latency.

That's the plan at this point. Subject to revision.
Last edited by Cursed on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
norbs

Post by norbs »

I have been happy with Witopia. Yell out if you want a referral.

I started using it to view cycling events overseas. Now use it more often. Sometimes, I forget I have it on.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Cursed wrote:I'm going to be embarking on an experiment shortly at home. I've just purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS 304. It's an Intel Atom based device that will allow me to install "apps" as well as some standard Linux fare. I already pay for a VPN service from Octane VPN, so that will be my starting point. Their service is entirely compatible with OpenVPN. My plan is something like (note the bullets):
  • Install openvpn package on the ReadyNAS
  • Pick a VPN endpoint in a foreign place who might not cooperate with our overseers
  • Configure openvpn to talk to VPN endpoint in uncooperative country
  • Configure DNS resolution on the NAS to use a free DNS service in a far-flung locale
  • Install squid or some other free and capable web-proxying server on the ReadyNAS
  • Configure the web proxy to not cache data or log
  • Point http/s enabled devices and browsers at this proxy (TV, XBMC box, web browsers)
This means that any web browsing will go through the VPN. I can disable the proxy on a browser/device if I need Australian localised content (e.g. iStream or other catch-up services).

I don't use torrents, but I could run a torrent downloader on the NAS as well and it would also make use of the vpn pipe.

I wouldn't want all my outgoing network traffic to go through the VPN as it would do horrible things to online multiplayer game latency.

That's the plan at this point. Subject to revision.

I didn't realise it would cripple things like catchup TV and gaming etc... but i guess that makes sense.

I understand about 10% of what you posted haha! I'll have to break it down and try and decipher it all.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

If you have specific questions, I'm happy to explain up to the point I no longer understand what I'm talking about :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

lol thanks! I'll need to start with a glossary on internet terms first I think :D
richo

Post by richo »

I haven't had a use as yet for a VPN but i have been using Unblock-Us for Netflix US and it works well and it's simply changing the DNS's in the router . Can't say it effected my gaming too much not that I can remember anyways.
[]D [] []v[] []D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Umm Richo, might explain why your pings are so erratic & fluctuate when online with AC?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I'm in the same boat. I've been researching and it's looking like using a OpenVPN with SOCKS is a good way to go. That way certain applications can be "tied" to the VPN leaving the computer and other devices act like normal.

The above isn't all I know, I'm just quickly mashing crap about while on my break. I'll have to dig up my links tonight.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I haven't used SOCKS in about 15 years. I'll look into that too.
richo

Post by richo »

No it shouldn't Duke because I haven't used for some time what does effect my ping is my 12yr old uploading an hour of his babbling while playing minecraft to youtube when he has been told not to.

What's more alarming is that 289 people have subscribed to his page..

https://www.youtube.com/user/AuzzieGamerMC
[]D [] []v[] []D
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

So starting from the start is best. I watched some YouTube then into general searching to research more. I've never done VPN stuff before so I'm still figuring things out as I go.

Firstly I watched this. He rabbits on a bit however it's a good starting point (I felt).

Then I was interested in the different authentication and encryption methods. Use the following links just as nicely laid out info.
- VPN Protocol Comparisons (link)
- Difference between PPTP, L2TP, IPSec and OpenVPN (link)

Concerns with VPNs
- A VPN connection is meant for doing things securely (ie: your ISP, Gov agency, etc. cannot see what your doing)
- There's no point choosing a less secure protocol (eg: Man In the Middle attacks, which doesn't have to mean a naughty hacker)
- Dropping/Re-routing connections, you're only secure when the connection is up. If you're "mid transaction" will your software pause until the connection is re-established? -- This is where SOCKS comes in but I haven't read enough yet
- Normal everyday activities can be affected (eg: online banking, purchasing, gaming or simply using a web forum (ie: Whirlpool))
- Some Internet Browsers (eg: Google Chrome) while using the VPN can still "leak" you're real IP or DNS addresses, patches are available however some report they don't work. Test with: IP/DNS Detector (link)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I've signed up for ExpressVPN after reading some reviews and I'll be setting it up tomorrow. I understand I can turn the VPN on and off at will, so it shouldn't affect gaming if I remember it's on.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Oh yes very good point, I forgot to add that one (enable/disable at will). I was really thinking more for people setting up their VPN on their router. :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Well, I set up ExpressVPN. Very straightforward. Chose a Hong Kong server, connected with one click and everything worked, torrents and all. Seamless (I'm on Optus cable). For each server I chose, Speedtest correctly identified the new 'home' location after a refresh.

I have a bunch of international servers to connect to but a huge range of speed results. Without VPN I had a 9ms ping, download speed of 99.03 Mbps and up of 1.18 Mbps.

Best d/l speed results I got were for Hong Kong (13.06 Mbps) and Singapore (10.42 Mbps). Big speed drop compared with naked, but I haven't explored ways to spice it up yet (if there are any). Clearly not something to use while playing an MP game.

I can watch programs on BBC iPlayer!

Hope this helps some folk.

Quick question: ExpressVPN setup pages includes a setup file for my Asus router - why would I set it up on my router - would it replace having it set up on my PC?
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I imagine that if you put it on your router, all the traffic from your network to the internet would go through the VPN. If you run the client just on your PC then it only affects that machine.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

smithcorp wrote:Well, I set up ExpressVPN. Very straightforward. Chose a Hong Kong server, connected with one click and everything worked, torrents and all. Seamless (I'm on Optus cable). For each server I chose, Speedtest correctly identified the new 'home' location after a refresh.

I have a bunch of international servers to connect to but a huge range of speed results. Without VPN I had a 9ms ping, download speed of 99.03 Mbps and up of 1.18 Mbps.

Best d/l speed results I got were for Hong Kong (13.06 Mbps) and Singapore (10.42 Mbps). Big speed drop compared with naked, but I haven't explored ways to spice it up yet (if there are any). Clearly not something to use while playing an MP game.

I can watch programs on BBC iPlayer!

Hope this helps some folk.

Quick question: ExpressVPN setup pages includes a setup file for my Asus router - why would I set it up on my router - would it replace having it set up on my PC?
Bloody hell based on that i may as well not bother...i get 700k a second at best..if thats standard for vpns then i may as well oull out my old dial up modem!
norbs

Post by norbs »

LOL. It doesnt work like that. You dont get 13% of your current bandwidth! :rofl:
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

There's a couple of elements to the slow down:
- encryption and tunneling means extra data to stuff down the line (hence slower apparent speed)
- encryption has a CPU cost, adding latency.
- distance to the vpn endpoint

If your link is already slow you might only feel the impact of the extra data going down the line. I don't know what that overhead is likely to be.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Not sure what happened to my post (Brandis got it?), but I got much better speeds connecting to an Australian ExpressVPN server - of its safe/secure to do that (connect locally) then it's a more practical option - still slower than naked (30 Mbps) but tolerable I reckon.