Windows on a USB drive for testing.

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Windows on a USB drive for testing.

Post by norbs »

Gents, I am trying to figure out the best way to make an image that I can copy onto a SSD USB drive to "test" stuff in a controlled environment.

Basically, I want to be able to tell me PC to boot off a USB drive and be able to blow that image away and put a clean one on at will.

Any suggestions as to the best way to do this? I am hoping I can make an image somewhere on my hard PC and just copy that to the SSD drive when I want a clean Windows environment to play around in.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Cursed

Re: Windows on a USB drive for testing.

Post by Cursed »

Without thinking too hard about it, how about have two hard-drives/SSD/whatever. Have normal/dirty OS installed on one and the clean installation on the other. You might then use the BIOS to choose your boot drive depending on which environment you want.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
norbs

Post by norbs »

Cursed wrote:Without thinking too hard about it, how about have two hard-drives/SSD/whatever. Have normal/dirty OS installed on one and the clean installation on the other. You might then use the BIOS to choose your boot drive depending on which environment you want.
That sounds perfectly reasonable. I just need a way to blow away the dirty image and copy the clean one back on once I have tainted that copy of Windows. :)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Does your testing require you to be able to play games or not? If not then you could use virtualbox for your testing.

You could also make snapshots to rollback the image. Or after a clean install just make a copy of the virtual disk file. Then whenever you want to go back to it you can just copy it back over.
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:Does your testing require you to be able to play games or not? If not then you could use virtualbox for your testing.

You could also make snapshots to rollback the image. Or after a clean install just make a copy of the virtual disk file. Then whenever you want to go back to it you can just copy it back over.
No games. And excellent, didnt even think of that. Thanks Darren.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Yeah a VM with a static sized partition would be really good.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Then boom all gone when powered off.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.