USB (wall / plug-in) chargers - best?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
plastik8

USB (wall / plug-in) chargers - best?

Post by plastik8 »

Hi Guys

What are the best USB wall chargers to buy? Today I am concerned only about charging iPhones, which I believe is 0.5A (Edit, might be 1.0A?), however I guess I'd be keen in looking at higher amperage chargers if the price is not too much different. I need a wall charger, as I don't want to use my laptop / HTPC etc.

I'm after something that (A) is safe and is not going to kill me, (B) is reliable, (C) has Australian style power point pins - do not want to use an adapter, and for bonus points (d) meets Australian standards.

I'm scared to hop onto Ebay, as I have no idea what products will be any good, and I'm guessing they won't satisfy criteria (d).

Anyone got their favourite generic brand? Or perhaps a brand like Belkin etc.?

And, for bonus points, does anyone have a multi USB charger they can recommend?

For reference: An official Apple wall charger is $29....

Edit: I've worded my post poorly: I'm actually keen to find out about standard, plug-in USB chargers.
Last edited by plastik8 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: USB (wall) chargers - best?

Post by DexterPunk »

iPhones are 1 Amp, and iPads are 2.1... Unless the iPhone 6 draws more but I don't think so. Why do you want to use higher amperage? From what I understand anyway, USB will only draw as much as it needs.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I installed 4 new double outlet power points for a mate the other day that had dual USB ports on them. Fucking brilliant. Might get some for myself.

He got these because he shits cash... http://sockitz.com.au/m/index.php/socki ... oints.html

You can get something similar off eBay for about $20 each, just make sure they are certified.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That's brilliant!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

We've got those sockitz ones in our house. Great idea but they don't seem to charge as fast as a regular wall plug for some reason. Also Giselle has issues with her i-devices. Sometimes they need to be plugged in - unplugged - plugged back in to recognise them and start charging. Also it's a bugger to physically get the plug into them unless you can come at them perfectly square on (they have a little cover that needs sliding back). I believe Clipsal are now making them too so maybe worth a look in their direction if you wanted to go down that path.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

The iPhone 6 & 6 plus are the first models that can accept higher charging speeds. I've got a iPad charger (10w?), and it charges my iPhone 6 in half the time compared to a 5S which can only accept 5w? and doesn't charge any faster using the iPad charger.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Ipad Air's are 12W, but cheers, that's interesting to know! I'll try my iPad charger on the 6 tonight. I wonder if there are any long term consequences charging faster all the time.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

DexterPunk wrote:iPhones are 1 Amp, and iPads are 2.1... Unless the iPhone 6 draws more but I don't think so. Why do you want to use higher amperage? From what I understand anyway, USB will only draw as much as it needs.
I'm interested in higher (than 1.0 Amp) amperage chargers as I also have an iPad, which as you mentioned is 2.1 Amp. :yes:
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

norbs wrote:....

He got these because he shits cash... http://sockitz.com.au/m/index.php/socki ... oints.html

$42 isn't too bad for 2 charger ports, built into a wall plate, considering an Apple genuine wall charger is $29 for one!

With "certified" products on Ebay - is there a way to tell if the seller is bull sh!tting or not? I'd imagine there'd be a lot of fake certification advertising...

Do you have a "preferred" seller on Ebay you could recommend? Or some dodgy ones to steer clear of? I'm guessing don't bother with anything which ships from outside of Australia.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Exar Kun wrote:We've got those sockitz ones in our house. Great idea but they don't seem to charge as fast as a regular wall plug for some reason. Also Giselle has issues with her i-devices. Sometimes they need to be plugged in - unplugged - plugged back in to recognise them and start charging. Also it's a bugger to physically get the plug into them unless you can come at them perfectly square on (they have a little cover that needs sliding back). I believe Clipsal are now making them too so maybe worth a look in their direction if you wanted to go down that path.

Yeah the Socktiz are not the best design. Clipsal has just launched their USB wall charger plates that have been designed in Australia.

I could get you these at staff discount. Which is trade less 50%, so about 75% off.
If you have a GPO with an extra switch you can always just get the 30 Series mech and swap it out and USB up an existing Clipsal plate.

https://www.clipsal.com/Home-Owner/Prod ... SB-Charger

Brochure with more info - http://updates.clipsal.com/ClipsalOnlin ... 000273.pdf
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

KNAPPO wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:We've got those sockitz ones in our house. Great idea but they don't seem to charge as fast as a regular wall plug for some reason. Also Giselle has issues with her i-devices. Sometimes they need to be plugged in - unplugged - plugged back in to recognise them and start charging. Also it's a bugger to physically get the plug into them unless you can come at them perfectly square on (they have a little cover that needs sliding back). I believe Clipsal are now making them too so maybe worth a look in their direction if you wanted to go down that path.

Yeah the Socktiz are not the best design. Clipsal has just launched their USB wall charger plates that have been designed in Australia.

I could get you these at staff discount. Which is trade less 50%, so about 75% off.
If you have a GPO with an extra switch you can always just get the 30 Series mech and swap it out and USB up an existing Clipsal plate.

https://www.clipsal.com/Home-Owner/Prod ... SB-Charger

Brochure with more info - http://updates.clipsal.com/ClipsalOnlin ... 000273.pdf
Looks pretty good Knappo! I'm in the midst of building a house at the moment, and whilst it's too late to change the electrical finish config, I might be keen to swap some plates over post move in. Will keep it in mind, thanks mate :yes:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

plastik8 wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:iPhones are 1 Amp, and iPads are 2.1... Unless the iPhone 6 draws more but I don't think so. Why do you want to use higher amperage? From what I understand anyway, USB will only draw as much as it needs.
I'm interested in higher (than 1.0 Amp) amperage chargers as I also have an iPad, which as you mentioned is 2.1 Amp. :yes:

Ahhhh fair enough. Used to get a lot of people asking about higher amp for faster charging, which doesn't work... although apparently now it does :D
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

If only those Clipsal sockets were capable of higher than 1.2 amps I'd be all over them, my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 flat out refuses to charge from anything less than a 2 amp capable USB outlet, I really think Clipsal was a short sighted in only making them capable of 1.2 amps, lots of devices these days need more than this.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I can't charge my GoPro from the wall sockitz I have.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
plastik8

Re: USB (wall / plug-in) chargers - best?

Post by plastik8 »

Cheers guys for all the replies. To be honest, I actually meant to ask about the standard plug in to the wall type chargers. However, the actual wall chargers have provided some food for thought.
wabbit

Re: USB (wall / plug-in) chargers - best?

Post by wabbit »

plastik8 wrote:I actually meant to ask about the standard plug in to the wall type chargers.
We use http://www.sproutinc.com.au chargers at work because they're Apple approved and cheaper than the Apple ones. Some of Sprout chargers have both iPhone and iPad ports (link). Otherwise I know Telstra shops sell them as work buys them through Telstra.

DexterPunk wrote:I wonder if there are any long term consequences charging faster all the time.
I doubt there would be an issue as the battery is rated to accept it (think iPad charger and iPhone 5S, it only accepts what its rated to). It's much the same as some Android devices with their "rapid charge" however I think they only rapid from 0% to 80%?, where as the new iPhones will charge faster all the way to 100%.