helping grandparents with PC remotely?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Hey all.

My 83 year old grandfather has bought himself a laptop but naturally sometimes he struggles with stuff and hes pretty deaf so trying to explain over the phone is a nightmare and a half!.

Is there a way for me to remotely access it and help him? Hes in Sydney and im in Brisbane.

Cheers all
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: helping grandparents with PC remotely?

Post by r8response »

Some might suggest "TeamViewer"

I'd suggest, Chrome Remote Desktop

Either way, the problem will be setting them both up and getting them working.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Can the default windoz remote desktop be sufficient?
Save setting anything up at their end?
plastik8

Re:

Post by plastik8 »

Duke wrote:Can the default windoz remote desktop be sufficient?
Save setting anything up at their end?
Unfortunately that won't work. A) Don't think it's set up by default, B) you'd need to set up port forwarding through the firewall.

Not sure about the "remote assistance" built into windows though... You'd still need IP addresses and what not.

As others have said - I vote for Team Viewer. Chrome might be OK, although haven't tried.

Teamviewer is easy to set up - there's a "quick support" .exe file that your grandparents can download from their site, all they need to do is double click it, and it will present them with a pin code and pass code, they can relay that to you, you type that into your team viewer client and hey presto.

Then you can log in, and install Teamviewer as a service on their machine, then you'll always have easy, unattended access going forward.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I use Team Viewer to remote access into my work Computer after it was suggested here. Very easy to use and works really well.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Cheers guys. Will look into teamviewer :)
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Another vote here for Teamviewer. On all my relo's machines for support calls :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I use teamviewer to sort out problems on my parents PC. It's great. They only have to start it up and give you the code number to connect and away you go.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Makes it handy helping out the folks considering it took the old man years to understand that if you want to exit a window/program he jist needs to press the red X in the top right corner lol.

Its amazing how much more tech savvy the oldgen became once facebook arrived though....
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

My 80 year old mum is a complete internet convert but she much prefers the ipad over a PC. No complicated stuff to do with windows, files, folders etc. She just taps what she wants.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Enforcer-J wrote:Makes it handy helping out the folks considering it took the old man years to understand that if you want to exit a window/program he jist needs to press the red X in the top right corner lol.
Haha.

It also took my mother a while to accept that in order to "stop" the computer (shut down), you needed to first click on the "start" button... This did not sit well with her. True story.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Big Kev wrote:My 80 year old mum is a complete internet convert but she much prefers the ipad over a PC. No complicated stuff to do with windows, files, folders etc. She just taps what she wants.
Same with my mum. She loves the ipad I gave her, and uses it way more than her computers. But she's actually quite good with computers. I taught her a lot growing up, and she made the effort to learn it. I wouldn't say she'd be as competent as anyone here, but she manages it fine without needing me for help. Still, just prefers using the ipad all the time.

I ended up giving my ipad to my sister, as I never used it. Half the time I didn't know where it was. I think I forgot I owned it for a few months.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Teamviwer also.

And Dex.. that would be right next to the Fleashlight.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.