Assetto Corsa shuttering/gittery environment

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
amwarrior93

Assetto Corsa shuttering/gittery environment

Post by amwarrior93 »

Hi everyone,

a lot of time saving money I finally went for it and did my first pc build. All I can say is console can kiss my A.R.S.E. I have joined the dark side!! Everything went well until it came time to play AC on my rig. Originally, I did some practice laps in practice mode just to do a bit of set up work and I notice that it was almost like FPS was less than 50. Not smooth at all. I run HWiNFO for CPU info (loads and temps) and MSI Afterburner for GPU info (load and temps) as well as FPS and they were all in check. FPS was constantly in the 80s, GPU temps in the 60s and load between 95-99% and CPU temps in the 30s with loads between 25-35%. After bringing it up with the guys after a race last night they also said that a few have had to same problem so I thought I would post this up to hopefully solve all of our problems. Makes me thing its more of a game problem rather than a software/hardware one. These are my specs;

1. Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz
2. Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (run it not overclocked for AC are frames are over 80 so see it as no point)
3. Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7 Motherboard
4. Seasonic 1000W Platinum PSU
5. G-Skill DDR3 CL9 2133Mz 16Gb ram
6. Corsair H100i water cooler
7. Corsair 750D case
8. Samsung 840 Evo 500Gb SSD

As you can see, my PC should be more than up to running AC nice and smoothly and according to the numbers it does. No idea what could be happening

P.S. Apparently there is a massive thread on the AC forum about this. If someone could post the link here so I could have a look that would be greatly appreciated!!
amwarrior93

Re: Assetto Corsa shuttering/gittery environment

Post by amwarrior93 »

Not to worry about the thread. Norbs kindly sent me the link. Here it is for other's as well...

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index ... app.19204/
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Are you running any apps in AC?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
amwarrior93

Post by amwarrior93 »

norbs wrote:Are you running any apps in AC?
This sounds very stupid but what do you mean by apps?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yep 1st things to do is disable &/or remove all 3rd party apps OV1 is especially bad for micro-stutters.
2nd thing is to turn down reflections & smoke, try static reflections & see if it helps. Smoke I have at low now as in my opinion it's an over exaggerated effect anyway.
Also consider turning off or tuning down a lot the HDR effects, if you have them enabled.
If all that fails rename your Assetto Corsa folder in you "My Documents" then restart AC & let it build a fresh set of config folders. Then just transfer you old cfg settings, replay & setups, etc.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Just a heads up. Since running pTracker at this round of the WEC, it seems (to me at least) to induce stutters every now and then. Although nothing major. :(
amwarrior93

Post by amwarrior93 »

I have managed to solve my issues. Firstly like to say thanks for your help. Before I go any further I just want to explain what I was experiencing as I believe it is different to what some of you guys have been experiencing as well as others on the AC forums. My issue what that despite running at 80-90fps, the game looked like it was running at under 30fps. From what I can gather, guys on the AC forums were having a slightly different problem where every so often there would be shutter and even what looked like lag. So I am not too sure if what worked for me will for you as well.

Now to the solution.

Yes this post is very long and I have included settings that probably don't need to be included. But I wanted to put everything down so you can see what works for me. I know things in the view tab will differ between each person and most likely won't be causing the issue, but you never know. So just take your time reading it and if you have any questions, please post them up. More than happy to explain things further if it need be.

Yesterday was the first time I had played assetto corsa. I knew it would play the game pretty well so I thought I would max out everything apart from things that I found pretty useless. I had v sync off and framerate limit off. They were off for all the different settings that I will discuss below.

Now I knew on my other computer, the game was running perfectly fine. So first things first, I decided to run the exact same settings in order to rule out any problems with my computer (software and hardware). The details are as follows;

DISPLAY TAB EFFECTS TAB VIEW TAB REFLECTIONS TAB
Resolution- 1920x1200 Smoke generation- normal Field of view- 56 Mirror resolution- normal
Rendering Mode- Single screen Show smoke in mirrors- ticked/on Glancing left/right speed- default High quality mirror resolution- unticked/off
Fullscreen rendering- ticked Enable post-processing effects- ticked/on G-force effects- all default (1.4x) Reflection quality- low
Vertical Sync- unticked/off Effect preset- default Camera shake at high speeds- default (1.4x) Reflection rendering frequency- static
Framerate limit- off Overall effect quality- normal Units- km/h
Anisotropic filtering- x8 Glare quality- normal Allow in-game app overlapping- unticked/off
Anti-Aliasing Samples- x2 Depth of field quality- normal Display time gap to opponents- ticked/on
World detail- max Colour saturation- 100% Lock onboard cameras to horizon- unticked/off
Shadow resolution- high Motion blur- off Hide drivers arms- unticked/off
Crepuscular rays- ticked/on Lock virtual steering wheel- unticked/off
heat shimmering effects- ticked/on Hide virtual steering wheel- unticked/off
Fast approximate anti-aliasing- ticked/on Virtual steering wheel rotation limit- off

I tested these settings on my new pc and they worked perfectly fine. What I did next was do each tab at a time, and put it to the settings that I wanted to run the pc at. In order to remove as many variables as possible, I ran the exact same settings as I did during the race and practice where I encountered my problems. I also used the same car and livery to remove as many variables as possible;
Vehicle- Nissan GTR GT3
Livery- nsimo_2015
Track- Spa Francorchamps (2 laps)
Time- 9am
Conditions- sunny

In my first run, I changed anisotrpic settings to x16 (display tab) and in the effects tab, I put overall effect quality, glare quality and depth of field quality to ultra. It ran perfectly fine.

Next I decided to alter the reflections tab; throughout all my testing, the view tab was untouched and left at its default settings. Firstly, I decided to put mirror resolution to high and reflections quality to high. Again, I did 2 laps around Spa without any problems.

Then I decided to put mirror reflection resolution to high. Ran the test again and once again, no issues.

Then I attempted to alter reflection rendering frequency and put it to high. And bam. The issues I had came back. FPS were at 100 but it was like it was under 30. So I decided to drop it to very low, but it hardly changed. Is was as if FPS was under 30. So I thought ok it must be reflection rendering frequency so I put it back to static and my issues were resolved. Now it gets interesting. I was running at about 130FPS with the rendering frequency to static, so i thought I would boost other settings since I had some FPS to play with. So I decided to put anti-aliasing samples to x4 and shadow resolution to max. And what do you know, the same issue came back. My frames dropped to 90-100 so it should still have been very smooth but just like the reflections, anti-aliasing and shadow resolution caused the same problems. So I put them back to what it was and I decided to do a 5 lap race around Spa with 23 GT3 AI opponents just to put that extra stress on the system. And it ran without a glitch. So my problems have been solved. Hopefully what I have done can help you guys too. So just to recap, these are the settings that I am NOW running that enables me to run with no issues...

DISPLAY TAB EFFECTS TAB VIEW TAB REFLECTIONS TAB
Resolution- 1920x1200 Smoke generation- normal Field of view- 56 Mirror resolution- high
Rendering Mode- Single screen Show smoke in mirrors- ticked/on Glancing left/right speed- default High quality mirror resolution- ticked/on
Fullscreen rendering- ticked Enable post-processing effects- ticked/on G-force effects- all default (1.4x) Reflection quality- high
Vertical Sync- unticked/off Effect preset- default Camera shake at high speeds- default (1.4x) Reflection rendering frequency- static
Framerate limit- off Overall effect quality- ultra Units- km/h
Anisotropic filtering- x16 Glare quality- ultra Allow in-game app overlapping- unticked/off
Anti-Aliasing Samples- x2 Depth of field quality- ultra Display time gap to opponents- ticked/on
World detail- max Colour saturation- 100% Lock onboard cameras to horizon- unticked/off
Shadow resolution- high Motion blur- off Hide drivers arms- unticked/off
Crepuscular rays- ticked/on Lock virtual steering wheel- unticked/off
heat shimmering effects- ticked/on Hide virtual steering wheel- unticked/off
Fast approximate anti-aliasing- ticked/on Virtual steering wheel rotation limit- off
Last edited by amwarrior93 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Glad you sorted it and kudos for the detailed post.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
amwarrior93

Post by amwarrior93 »

I tried to put the tabs next to each other so it doesn't take up a lot of space but it has just grouped it all together :/ If you guys have questions or get confused let me know
amwarrior93

Post by amwarrior93 »

norbs wrote:Glad you sorted it and kudos for the detailed post.
Yeah I thought it may work for you guys too. I think though you guys are experiencing a slightly different issue so I am not too sure if it will work. Thought I would put it as as if it does work then that's great; if it doesn't then at least I tried ahahaha
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Good to hear, I thought it would be the rendering frequency. I am at 2560x1440 144Hz but with a near identical hardware setup (DDR3 2400 CL9 though) and it was doing the same thing. I have to run no Post Processing though as I like the FPS to be over 200 minimum to be properly smooth at 144Hz.
amwarrior93

Post by amwarrior93 »

renesis37 wrote:Good to hear, I thought it would be the rendering frequency. I am at 2560x1440 144Hz but with a near identical hardware setup (DDR3 2400 CL9 though) and it was doing the same thing. I have to run no Post Processing though as I like the FPS to be over 200 minimum to be properly smooth at 144Hz.
Yeah thanks for your help. I have a 60Hz monitor so currently being at about 100-110FPS is perfect for me
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

amwarrior93 wrote:
renesis37 wrote:Good to hear, I thought it would be the rendering frequency. I am at 2560x1440 144Hz but with a near identical hardware setup (DDR3 2400 CL9 though) and it was doing the same thing. I have to run no Post Processing though as I like the FPS to be over 200 minimum to be properly smooth at 144Hz.
Yeah thanks for your help. I have a 60Hz monitor so currently being at about 100-110FPS is perfect for me
I can't recommend a 100Hz+ monitor enough, MUCH smoother and lower input lag for a more direct feel. I have the Asus ROG Swift and it is just simply amazing, Ultra Low Motion Blur mode means near zero blur even when dragging things across the screen really fast.

If you have the $$ Acer just released a 144Hz IPS model which is apparently good, judging by your 1920x1200 resolution you are running a 24/27" IPS/VA so you may want to keep your nice colours and viewing angles. Wait a bit though as they are having huge quality control issues as is usual with Acer products (and Gigabyte for that matter :P).

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=31600
amwarrior93

Post by amwarrior93 »

renesis37 wrote:
amwarrior93 wrote:
I can't recommend a 100Hz+ monitor enough, MUCH smoother and lower input lag for a more direct feel. I have the Asus ROG Swift and it is just simply amazing, Ultra Low Motion Blur mode means near zero blur even when dragging things across the screen really fast.

If you have the $$ Acer just released a 144Hz IPS model which is apparently good, judging by your 1920x1200 resolution you are running a 24/27" IPS/VA so you may want to keep your nice colours and viewing angles. Wait a bit though as they are having huge quality control issues as is usual with Acer products (and Gigabyte for that matter :P).

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=31600
Yeah at the moment I have an ASUS Proart 23" IPS monitor. Had that now for a couple of years and been really happy with it. Just spent $2500 on building my PC so the monitor is going to have to wait for a while. And I am a Gigabyte man through and through hahahaha. Never had an issue with them and have been really happy with their products
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

amwarrior93 wrote:... And I am a Gigabyte man through and through hahahaha. Never had an issue with them and have been really happy with their products
Hah, fair enough. I worked at repair shop/retailer from 02-05 and most of the failed motherboards of that time were GB, it has tainted my view :lol:. I am sure they have worked those issues out or they wouldn't be in business.
amwarrior93

Post by amwarrior93 »

renesis37 wrote:
amwarrior93 wrote:... And I am a Gigabyte man through and through hahahaha. Never had an issue with them and have been really happy with their products
Hah, fair enough. I worked at repair shop/retailer from 02-05 and most of the failed motherboards of that time were GB, it has tainted my view :lol:. I am sure they have worked those issues out or they wouldn't be in business.
I bet it would have. I started using gigabyte products at around 2010 and haven't had a single issue. First bought the gigabyte gtx680 and their x58A-ud3r motherboard and they are both still going strong to this day
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I've had more issues with ASUS than any other motherboard brand (I'm also running Gigabyte boards in most of my systems). :shrug:
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Giggiebites here too.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

amwarrior93 wrote:
norbs wrote:Glad you sorted it and kudos for the detailed post.
Yeah I thought it may work for you guys too. I think though you guys are experiencing a slightly different issue so I am not too sure if it will work. Thought I would put it as as if it does work then that's great; if it doesn't then at least I tried ahahaha
MASSIVE thanks!

Ill have a read of this and see if any of it can be applied. As im fairly time poor you have no idea how much I value this information/post.

Thanks.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
amwarrior93

Post by amwarrior93 »

KNAPPO wrote:MASSIVE thanks!

Ill have a read of this and see if any of it can be applied. As im fairly time poor you have no idea how much I value this information/post.

Thanks.
No worries. Constantly having the flickering is very annoying. Hopefully my post can help you out somehow