Portable HTTP(S) interfaced FTP client?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Scottie

Portable HTTP(S) interfaced FTP client?

Post by Scottie »

Hello Tech-heads,

I've had a quick scavenge around the web, but haven't found and/or understood if I'm searching for the right thing.

What I'm trying to do, is get a portable HDD connected to my router, and make it available via (obviously) p/w to my external demands (via my phone most likely). I hope to transfer files from another server I have to my HDD at home while I'm out and about.

I'm currently having to wait til I get home to start the FTP transfer, but figured the above solution would be a god-send for what I currently do.

My issue is, I can't seem to locate an FTP client that can reside on my portable HDD for me to use via the link (I'm assuming https or something) on my phone.

Has anyone had experience with these sort of solutions? Surely there'd be something out there, or must there be an 'APP' on google Play for that?

Thanks in advance, from a slightly less knowledgeable tech-head.
plastik8

Re: Portable HTTP(S) interfaced FTP client?

Post by plastik8 »

So... You basically want to transfer something from the internet, to your portable HDD, which is at home? And, you want to initiate this transfer when you're away form home?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

yeah. I'm hoping it's possible.

I know how I can do the HDD bit at home, but getting the application to interface between the two is the tricky bit... if it's possible...
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Without intervention from a PC running on the local network, the FTP client needs to be on the router as far as I know as this is the device to which the USB drive is connected.

If your router doesn't do this you are left to port forwarding to a FTP server running on a PC/laptop/netbook.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Scottie wrote:yeah. I'm hoping it's possible.

I know how I can do the HDD bit at home, but getting the application to interface between the two is the tricky bit... if it's possible...
What EXACTLY are you wanting to download onto your HDD at home? Torrents (legal torrents, of course!)? Usenet? Large files from another FTP site?

There might be an easier way to achieve this.

Also, as Shonky has eluded to, you'll either need a very smart router, or some sort of "host" such as a PC, netbook, laptop etc.....
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

yeah, thought so.

Was contemplating it more overnight, and yeah, the application would need a brain. It's not going to work if there's a client on the HDD but got nothing to think for itself.

Was just transferring large files from another site to home while I'm not at home.

All good folks, thanks for your thoughts! I'll get to other options :)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

DropBox, Mega, Google Drive?

Is there an app for something like that? Maybe get a Raspberry Pi and let it manage it for you? Uses fuck all power and connect to USB drive.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Was thinking Arduino or a Pi device.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Apps like ES File explorer can do ftp but you need a server. If you got a NAS you could get at your stuff from anywhere. Most of them have mobile apps to access them now, or could also do ftp etc.

You can get small ones for about $150, without drives.
http://arc.com.au/product/54903
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Well I know my Asus DSLN55U_C1 works as a NAS and has its own AiCloud mobile app, or use the 2 USB ports for external storage, printers etc.

FTP and Network Place using Samba.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Scottie: Do you want to push the files to your portable HDD with OUT downloading them first? I.e., let's say big file exists at http://bigfileA. Do you want to push it directly to the portable HDD at home, or are you able to download it first to another device, and then push it from there?
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Yeah, I'm using a DGND3700v2, can easily sort out a NAS solution, just interfacing with it is all I need to work out.
A Pi sounds good, might look into one of those.

I hope to push it directly to the portable HDD at home Marty.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Your router may already have this ability built in, it's hard to make out from the screen shots on the page below but check out what's in there and see if you can setup a FTP server that's accessible from the WAN side.

http://screenshots.portforward.com/rout ... ttings.htm
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Yes, That's what kicked off this idea. I can access the drive from outside when I open up the port and secure it... but trying to work out what'll manage the transfer while I'm out n about.

Maybe there's an FTP app that can remotely connect to both locations (the server source, and my HDD via that URL on the router) and it can coordinate the transfer from my phone?

Still searching :P