Windows 10

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Windows 10

Post by DexterPunk »

I just read what you posted when you tried the upgrade from the media creation tool. Read back to what I posted earlier. It worked for me. Mine was set to English too, but it needed to be set to US English. Might be worthwhile removing the language pack? It seems the locale and English setting has an impact on this upgrade process.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Just tried and it didn't work. Registry key didn't work either. Maybe it's an OEM thing.

So fed up with it I can't even be bothered trying the pirate route now. I'll just use it unregistered and try again some other time. At least that way I'll still have a working win7 if something doesn't work. All my gaming has been on linux lately anyway so it's not like I really need it :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

So, currently upgrading my old PC to Win 10. I've got a new graphics card and a bigger SSD on the way this week. I'd like to do a clean install on the new SSD and use that as my boot drive - with a Win 10 install already there, what's the process?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

How are you gaming on Linux?
Enforcer-J

Re: RE: Re: Windows 10

Post by Enforcer-J »

Exar Kun wrote:So, currently upgrading my old PC to Win 10. I've got a new graphics card and a bigger SSD on the way this week. I'd like to do a clean install on the new SSD and use that as my boot drive - with a Win 10 install already there, what's the process?
You'll be able to use the creation tool to put win10 onto a usb/dvd and then install it on the new SSD as long as you have upgraded already
Last edited by Enforcer-J on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Enforcer-J wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:So, currently upgrading my old PC to Win 10. I've got a new graphics card and a bigger SSD on the way this week. I'd like to do a clean install on the new SSD and use that as my boot drive - with a Win 10 install already there, what's the process?
You'll be able to use the creation tool on the new SSD once you have upgraded
Im having the same thoughts now, I have a 520gb drive coming this week and I want a fresh install.
Can I use that process to install onto the new HDD? Then do I just enter my windows 8.1 key in?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

w00dsy wrote:How are you gaming on Linux?
Dual boot system with Mint MATE on a separate drive. Steam has a linux client and 1/4 of steam games have a linux version. Mostly indy titles but there are a fair few bigger titles now which also run on linux. I've barely used windows the last couple weeks because the games I've been playing, Terraria and Chivalry, both have linux versions.

iRacing also runs on linux but it's not native so there's a big performance hit and no VR support.
Enforcer-J

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Windows 10

Post by Enforcer-J »

nutty wrote:
Enforcer-J wrote:
You'll be able to use the creation tool on the new SSD once you have upgraded
Im having the same thoughts now, I have a 520gb drive coming this week and I want a fresh install.
Can I use that process to install onto the new HDD? Then do I just enter my windows 8.1 key in?
Nah no key needed. Microsoft recognised that your hardware has been activated.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Enforcer-J wrote:
You'll be able to use the creation tool to put win10 onto a usb/dvd and then install it on the new SSD as long as you have upgraded already
Thanks. Sounds nice and easy then. :)
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Windows 10

Post by nutty »

Enforcer-J wrote:
nutty wrote:
Enforcer-J wrote: You'll be able to use the creation tool on the new SSD once you have upgraded

Perfect!! happy days
petey

Post by petey »

Actually purchased Windows 10, first time I've ever paid for windows. While doing windows updates it realised my copy of Win7 wasn't genuine and figured it was about time I paid for it.

Upgraded fine from there and seems good so far.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

w00dsy wrote:In the windows setup from boot, it'll bring up the partitions window, delete them all and then create one new one.
Finally trying this, fingers crossed
Hello :aussie:
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Shaun, Still not going?

I even tried Win10 on a Asus Aspire laptop from 09.. that still had vista on it.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Still running all the updates on 7 for it to tell me i can upgrade. Not far off now. I tried on my old asus one but the hard drive is fucked and she no work anymore lol
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Ya.. upgraded to win7 first.. and took about 12hrs to get and process all the updates.. not the most peppiest these days.. but a 5400rpm drive is only so fast.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Holy shit it worked thanks woodsy!!
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Stupid Toshiba and their weird partitions.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Getting some questions about Rolling back...

If you want to roll back to an older OS you need to do it in within a month, as Win10 is locking out old Keys and making them Win10 only..
So even with valid OS Keys it is proposed to do the Yarr(change keys) first, then upgrade.. so you have a key(your one) to fail back on if you do not like it, in longer then 1 month of use, eg X program is having issues.
But then some are just saying to Upgrade and get key locked and just Yar to an older version if needed, just highlighting options for people that might be non-Yar types..

Rolling Back From Windows 10 To Your Older OS Appears Problematic
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/window ... 29727.html

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Really liking windows 10.

Only concern is when building a new system. If it recognises hardware, how do you move it to a new system? In the past I've had to call m$ to deactivate the key which was a pain in itself. If it's not using a key, then you can't really do that?
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

They've given out free software to all existing systems. If you are building a new system I think you're going to have to get your wallet out.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Enforcer-J wrote:They've given out free software to all existing systems. If you are building a new system I think you're going to have to get your wallet out.
Unless you can reuse your old motherboard.

Completely new build, shit out of luck.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hmmm I guess it's a bit of a double edged sword. The only issue I have is that it will now neutralise my windows 7 copy which I purchased... and otherwise is valid for as many system builds as I like. I'd imagine they could get some backlash over this in the future... whether it's right or wrong.

Anyone know how long the upgrade process (offer) will last for?
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Considering most people just get windows OEM, if they ever wanted to build a new system, its always been the case.

I purchased a copy of rfactor once. Now there is rfactor2, my rfactor 1 has been neutralised... but otherwise valid to install on as many system builds as I like.

Im really not sure that you issue is a valid one!
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

DexterPunk wrote:Hmmm I guess it's a bit of a double edged sword. The only issue I have is that it will now neutralise my windows 7 copy which I purchased... and otherwise is valid for as many system builds as I like. I'd imagine they could get some backlash over this in the future... whether it's right or wrong.

Anyone know how long the upgrade process (offer) will last for?
Is it valid for as many systems as you like, did you purchase a volume license key? As far as I knew when you bought the full version of Windows be it OEM or retail, you were still only buying a single use license, whether M$ policed the usage of said license is another thing.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Enforcer-J wrote:Considering most people just get windows OEM, if they ever wanted to build a new system, its always been the case.

I purchased a copy of rfactor once. Now there is rfactor2, my rfactor 1 has been neutralised... but otherwise valid to install on as many system builds as I like.

Im really not sure that you issue is a valid one!

If you build a new system do you have to re-purchase rFactor? I haven't played rF in years, so not sure what the process is.

It's not really an issue for me personally. I'm just highlighting that some may potentially be annoyed that they feel they have bought something, they should be able to use it on future systems. Or I may be missing something here. Does a boxed retail version of Windows 10 have the same process... I mean, if you bought the retail version, then built a new system 6 months later, would it be useless?