Windows 10

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
DarrenM

Re: Windows 10

Post by DarrenM »

OEM is tied to specific hardware, but with retail you're supposed to be able to reinstall. Just not have multiple machines at once which is what the volume license is for.

You can deactivate a retail key so that you can reinstall on another machine. Tried it recently with a Vista virtual machine and it didn't work though.

http://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to- ... l-your-pc/
Last edited by DarrenM on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Shonky wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:Hmmm I guess it's a bit of a double edged sword. The only issue I have is that it will now neutralise my windows 7 copy which I purchased... and otherwise is valid for as many system builds as I like. I'd imagine they could get some backlash over this in the future... whether it's right or wrong.

Anyone know how long the upgrade process (offer) will last for?
Is it valid for as many systems as you like, did you purchase a volume license key? As far as I knew when you bought the full version of Windows be it OEM or retail, you were still only buying a single use license, whether M$ policed the usage of said license is another thing.
I'm not too sure, but I've used my previous windows 7 copy on about 3 PC builds (not at the same time). Just had to ring up Microsoft and tell them i'd like to use my copy on a new system.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

DarrenM wrote:OEM is tied to specific hardware, but with retail you're supposed to be able to reinstall. Just not have multiple machines at once which is what the volume license is for.

You can deactivate a retail key so that you can reinstall on another machine.

http://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to- ... l-your-pc/

So if my windows 7 key was retail... and now I have windows 10... could I then reinstall this on a new system down the line?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Yes
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

DarrenM wrote:Yes
Haha ok, cool. :yes:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

So I got my new bits and pieces, upgraded to Win 10 then fresh install on the new SSD. All good. Except logitech profiler won't detect my wheel and about the best solution I can find is to install windows and start again. :(
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Some other interesting story's over the week..

Windows 10 updates can disable pirated games and unauthorized hardware
http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-upd ... are-76883/

Steam gamers already use Windows 10 more than all Linux distros combined
That didn't take long—and it should overtake OS X soon.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955978/ ... bined.html
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

The updates disabling pirated games etc would surely be limited to microsoft and xbox live content.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Not just X-box live content.. but the rest of the suite
Microsoft’s new Services Terms that went in effect on the 1st of August state the technology giant can prevent you from playing counterfeit games or use unauthorized hardware. The terms are valid for everyone using Microsoft services such as Office 365, Outlook.com, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive, Bing and MSN.
Also software using a Microsoft account is covered by the terms meaning the terms also affect most Windows 10 users. Although Microsoft’s latest OS can be used without a Microsoft account the majority of users will nevertheless use it with an account from the Redmond company.
And this part should be fine with the rest of us here.. as who fell for the add your email address here box?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

One of the older work laptops was giving me the shits, too much junk on it so it's was very slow to boot. I did the upgrade on it first just to test everything was working ok and then did a reset to start from scratch.

Just be aware that part of the process is to zero out the drive, in very helpful fashion the screen will sit at 99% while it does this and depending on the size of the drive it can take many hours. You just have to wait it out, took 2-3 hours on this machine.

If you're thinking of doing this it might be best to try reinstall from a boot able disk or usb.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Some people have different issues
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Sars.. if you are doing it with an old laptop, spend a little amount of time and swap to an SSD.. brought quite a few to life from the scrap bin/pile doing so.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Like this..
Faster booting, smaller footprint make Windows 10 an easy upgrade for old PCs
Comparing Windows 10 to 7, 8.1, and 8.1 with Bing yields impressive results.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/ ... r-old-pcs/

Had a few people talk about this..

Microsoft wants you to pay $15 for DVD playback in Windows 10
But Microsoft knows you'll probably just download VLC for free.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/ ... indows-10/

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

w00dsy wrote:Some people have different issues

HAHA! :D First world problems.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

wobblysauce wrote:
Microsoft wants you to pay $15 for DVD playback in Windows 10
But Microsoft knows you'll probably just download VLC for free.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/ ... indows-10/
If only VLC was worth using in a dual monitor arrangement, I've been trying it on and off for years and every time I run VLC on the 2nd monitor and fire up a DirectX application (typically a game) on the main monitor, VLC crashes, has done for years, typical open source software, they are always happy to code in new features, but fix a bug, fuck that, where's the fun in that!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

as far as i know vlc uses a Direct3D renderer by default and direct3d/directx can't handle multiple apps at the same time if one of them is full screen. Just switch vlc to use OpenGL for video output and it should be able to run alongside games.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Interesting, will give it a try some time, for now LAV filters and WMP are working ok, but it is stuttery under Win10 where it wasn't under 8.1 when the game is graphically intensive, cheers.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Set a new personal record for slowest opening time for software. Creative sound blaster app took 8 hours to open under win 10 and that was after the latest creative updates for win 10. :yikes:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Shonky, as Darren said.. go into tools, then preferences. under the videos settings, change the output to OpenGL Video Output instead of automatic, that sorts the crashing of full screen gaming.

Dr.P, sadly there still making*cough* changes to there programs...
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArti ... sid=126331

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Mine is there now. I have Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe Series. But waiting for more updates in the future.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I just installed my SSD with win10 on it from my old system onto a brand new build. .. and it loaded up no worries.
No net connection yet so once ive finished the build off proper I'll see if microsoft infects me with ransomware :/
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Yeah nah no updates for me lol. Im assuming its still possible to install windows 8.1 back on, download the usb files and it should activate 10 even though I activated it on my old hardware?

Or will 'something happen' ?

EDIT* Hmmm nope, not sure why I thought that or why Im talking to myself but I have had a few beers lol
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Just 4 links to have a clean start.

To stop the spyin loop the addresses, just place in your Hosts file, just remove the space on the link.
http:// pastebin.com/fxQytiD6

Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 for Windows 10 released
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate- ... windows-10

How to remove all bundled apps in Windows 10
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-remove-a ... indows-10/

Remove default Apps from Windows 10
https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog/de ... s-10-apps/

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

BitTorrent tracker blocks Windows 10 users
If you use BitTorrent a lot, you may want to re-think moving to Windows 10. BitTorrent sites are starting to block Windows 10 users.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/bittorrent ... -10-users/

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Worried about your privacy? Install Ultimate windows tweaker 4! Screw Microsoft, our software comes direct from us via CNET Complete with trojan viruses, spyware and adware!

Google, Apple and Facebook seem to get away with their spying, what makes MS so different? Also, Id be much more worried about the other security risks involved with downloading pirated software then MS detecting it, which from what I understand is more related to the Xbox and their own products anyway.