Gaming headset, or...

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Gaming headset, or...

Post by DexterPunk »

I have a cheap as hell logitech headset thats starting to cut in and out on the left and right channel. To be fair it's been great for the price until now. It's probably a couple of years old, so no complaints really. I probably paid about $15 for it.

I was just googling to see what else is around, and it occurred to me that I have multiple pairs of good headphones kicking about, if I bought a cheap lapel mic, maybe I wouldn't have to pay for a (usually overpriced) gaming headset. I'm wondering though if a lapel mic would need a pre-amp? Anyone have any experience with this sort of combo rather than buying a headset?
Shonky

Re: Gaming headset, or...

Post by Shonky »

No preamp needed, the mic input on the sound card should have the required gain, I will say that the people you talk too though might appreciate one of the noise cancelling usb headsets available.

Myself and a mate have logitech usb headsets, they were around 50 bucks from memory and i hear bugger all background noise from his end when his missus is playing music etc, while another mate has an analog mic with no noise cancelling, and a lot of the time we struggle to hear him over the white noise.

He says there's nothing wrong his setup but we are constantly telling him to bin it and grab a usb headset. Personally I wouldn't go back to an analog headset now, it just works, no plugs that get noisy as they wear, no electrical interference getting in, just plug it in when needed and away you go, Windows mixer does the rest.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hmmm the cheapass logitech is analogue, as far as voice quality goes it's fine. I bought my mate the same one when I got mine, he often sounds much clearer than another mate with his gaming usb headset. Granted it doesn't have any noise cancelation, however it's fairly entertaining listening to his missus freaking out over spiders or whinging at him about various things. Completely agree though in regards to not having to worry about interference or cutting out over time. I wonder if you can get a USB lapel? Perhaps i'd end up paying 80-90% of the price of a full headset buying one though. Just figure I have some good audio gear... kind of a shame that some of my headphones just sit around doing nothing. I bought far too many pairs during my JB days...
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

DexterPunk wrote:Just figure I have some good audio gear... kind of a shame that some of my headphones just sit around doing nothing.
Check these out mate.
http://www.modmic.com/

A mate added one of these to his expensive Sennheiser headphones as he didn't want to shell out for a gaming headset since the cans were purchased for their sound quality.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Many options, set your budget though.

Zalman Zm-Mic1, $5 like for ever..
Antlion ModMic4.0 was under $40, got mine on the last massdrop deal, was either that, Blue Microphones Yeti or Samson Meteor, but didn't want a standing mic for my desk.
Still using my AD700's.. wow just looked up when I got them.. 10years ago.. still going strong, used daily, sometimes 15+hrs in a sitting.

Nice little review here.

https://teksyndicate.com/videos/gaming- ... 50-or-less
https://teksyndicate.com/videos/gaming- ... ment-guide
https://teksyndicate.com/videos/make-yo ... t-200-1000
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Personally I'd go for a headset that has a mic attached and does surround sound (not the silly multiple speakers per side) just one the has a processor.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Cheers Knappo, I'll have a look at those.

I saw that ZM-Mic1 on PC case gear.. about $9 then $13 delivery.... :( Strangely if it was $22 with free for the mic I'd probably be happy to pay it, logically that makes no sense.... but for some reason it just feels wrong paying more for delivery than for the product. I could't find it listed on CPL etc.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

wabbit wrote:Personally I'd go for a headset that has a mic attached and does surround sound (not the silly multiple speakers per side) just one the has a processor.
Do they do these for under $20? :D
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Well.. you could always sport the Call centre look.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Dex, sometimes you get what you pay for :P

I just wanted to mention because with gaming and what not it can often be a night and day difference. It's actually quite annoying to go back to stereo.

Anyways, food for thought and I don't expect to change your mind :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I see what you're saying... But at the moment I feel like I would go down two different paths. Spend $15-20 on the same headset I've been using for a couple of years... or get a mic working with a pair of $300 headphones. If a lapel mic, usb or otherwise, or desk mic isn't a good option to match up with a good pair of cans, then i'd probably just buy the cheap stuff again.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Dex, I know two people who use the Modmic and their audio quality on my end is superb.
Its a slightly expensive option to retain the use of your high quality cans but well worth it in my mind.

If anything itll mean your $300 cans will get some more use.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That's what I think too Knappo. I'll probably go down that path I think. Thanks heaps for the info!
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

wabbit wrote:Personally I'd go for a headset that has a mic attached and does surround sound (not the silly multiple speakers per side) just one the has a processor.
I had a quick look at surround sound headsets (intriguing) but they seem to require a forest of connectors!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

smithcorp wrote:I had a quick look at surround sound headsets (intriguing) but they seem to require a forest of connectors!
That is true. I've got one connected to the amp in the living room, which becomes an audio out option for wireless gaming/movie sessions (when you've gotta be quiet). The headphone's mix amp requires a USB port and a optical audio cable.