Requirements for an Oculus-ready PC?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Requirements for an Oculus-ready PC?

Post by smithcorp »

Anyone seen any guides / discussions about PC requirements and build recommendations now that the consumer version has been unveiled? I'm buggered if I can find up to date info on Dr Google.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Re: Requirements for an Oculus-ready PC?

Post by AstrO »

I think the minimum requirements are as follows:
  • NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
  • Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
  • 8GB+ RAM
  • Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
  • 2x USB 3.0 ports
  • Windows 7 SP1 or newer
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah that's what I saw too.. is that min though or recommended? Either way I think I'll be adding another r9 280x to my current one to run them in crossfire. I would imagine it's similar to running multiple monitors, where SLI/Crossfire is a good setup.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

It's recommended by oculus but I guess it's more of a minimum spec for developers to target. Games will have to maintain a 90fps minimum so by releasing that as a spec, developers can optimize to ensure their games can achieve it.

https://www1.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/
Given the challenges around VR graphics performance, the Rift will have a recommended specification to ensure that developers can optimize for a known hardware configuration, which ensures a better player experience of comfortable sustained presence. The recommended PC specification is an NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD 290, Intel i5-4590, and 8GB RAM. This configuration will be held for the lifetime of the Rift and should drop in price over time.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Damn, well as good as Oculus sounds, its not worth the investment I'd have to make based on those specs, essentially a new pc is required for me if those requirements are accurate.
Santaria

Re: RE: Re: Requirements for an Oculus-ready PC?

Post by Santaria »

Shonky wrote:Damn, well as good as Oculus sounds, its not worth the investment I'd have to make based on those specs, essentially a new pc is required for me if those requirements are accurate.
Same here (I think our special are similar). The outlay for a system to support the rift is far out of my reach. It's a shame because I was interested in getting one, definitely.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I'm still squirrelling away the cash. I'm hoping that I can get away with just a video card upgrade, but I'm preparing for the worst/most expensive option.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks chaps - I figured it might need SLI, Windows 10 etc. My old company is supposed to pay me some share dividends later this year and I might apply them to a new Oculus + PC fund.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

IJK has a compatible system based on the above - pretty reasonable price - $1,637

http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product_in ... _id=150805
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Might be worth holding off for the next generation of graphics cards, as they will likely be more optimized for 3d

*edit a look around the Oculus subreddit seems to suggest that going SLI is not the best option for Oculus, as it can induce more latency
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

AMD were talking about using crossfire where it renders one eye view per card. This should hopefully remove the latency issues. No idea when (or if) they will be going live with this feature or which cards will be supported.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah as GT Virus said the next generation of cards from both Nvidia and AMD will have numerous VR related improvements so I wouldn't even think about a video card upgrade until the rift is about to be released.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

:nod: Great advice.