USB Wifi, WiFi to Ethernet, Access Points

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

USB Wifi, WiFi to Ethernet, Access Points

Post by DexterPunk »

My boss at work has grabbed a new (old) computer, and needs to get it connected up. It isn't near ethernet, and doesn't have a wifi card.

The issue isn't getting it connected, it's with the huge amount of options. She actually has a USB wifi dongle, but it's old and there are no OSX drivers available. I'm not a massive fan of those dongles anyway, perhaps wrongly so. I've always thought that getting the receiver away from electronics and fans and anything else that creates EMI is probably a good idea. Perhaps they are shielded well enough, but i've usually tried to steer clear. I think it stems from a PCI wifi card I had massive issues with like 10 years ago.

Anyway, I've had success using Wifi to ethernet converters before. Then I started going down the access point route. I'm guessing they are going to do the same job as a wifi receiver with ethernet port, and also have the added bonus of extending the wifi as well?

From feedback I got at JB, the ethernet over power line option was always a little flakey. Perhaps they have improved?

Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Re: USB Wifi, WiFi to Ethernet, Access Points

Post by AstrO »

I don't really see the problem here, can't you use a new USB wifi device (as it's not running inside the computer you don't run into the same sort of interference)? And if you want something that isn't close to the computer, use something like this: http://www.msy.com.au/viconline/network ... apter.html
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

There's no problem. Just after advice on the best way to go. I have never really had to use wifi or convert it on a desktop. Only on an amp. Sorry if it's a silly question.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

$50 wifi card does a fine job for me. Interference doesnt appear to be an issue
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

DexterPunk wrote:There's no problem. Just after advice on the best way to go. I have never really had to use wifi or convert it on a desktop. Only on an amp. Sorry if it's a silly question.
No question is ever a silly question when it comes to computers. ;)

For ease of use, just get a USB WiFi device (that is OSX compatible of course). :nod:
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I've been USB WiFi for years now. Only issue I had was recently when my current PC would drop a rear USB port so moved the WiFi to the front case USB port. Have no problems with interference and there is a fan and stereo near by. My WiFi router sits close to the microwave and it haven't been an issue.

It's been good enough to sim race no problem but I do get lag on fps especially if on a US server.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Cheers guys, I'll just find her an N600-ish usb dongle.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Think mine is N300 but not sure what the crappy Telstra router I use is. I asked a mate of mine who's an IT teacher and he said currently N300 is about as much as you want. But that's on ADSL 2. I'd go N600 if it's NBN.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Might have to be N300... Doesn't appear to be a massive choice for OSX supported dongles. I guess most macs have built in wifi.

Some of them I've seen with OS X support mention up to about 10.6 or so, no mention of 10.9/10.10. I think I have a netgear wifi to Ethernet gadget kicking around. Might just give that to her.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Something like this isn't what you are looking for Dex? Looks like you can download 10.10 drivers for it.

http://www.asus.com/au/Networking/USBAC56/
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah that would likely do the trick. Asus seem to often be the ones making OSX and Linux compatible wifi dongles.

Thanks for the link!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Did you see the 10.10 drivers for it Shonky? I can only see 10.9, and found some guys on youtube explaining how to make them work using console. I could follow that along and get it working, but my boss needs something fairly simple.

My bad, found them under utility. :yes:
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I didn't check the links mate, I'm sure I saw in the drop down box when you select the OS 10.9/10.10 but I could be mistaken , I know sfa about osx drivers so I didn't think too much about it.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Found it.

Version 2.3.3
Description ASUS USB-AC56 Driver 2.3.3 for MAC OSX (10.5~10.10)
Supported OS: MAC OSX (10.5~10.10)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Haha yeah it was hidden in utility drop down, when the rest were in wireless.. or something silly like that. I mentioned I found it in the post above, but probably should have just deleted the post. Cheers.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Haha no worries, I have a poor attention span, I only read the 2nd paragraph in a post about 50% of the time.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Even JD's cartoons are too long for me to read.