Making boot drive into secondary- new build

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
TIMMY30

Making boot drive into secondary- new build

Post by TIMMY30 »

Hi all,

Helping a friend out with her new build.

She currently is only running 1 HDD with windows 10 currently on it. Have just ordered all the new parts and have of course opted for an SSD as the boot drive. Plan is to use her current HDD as a secondary in the new system.

To format it am i just going to plug it in as normal after installing the OS onto the SSD and ensure that the bios boots from the ssd, then format in disk management as normal? Or am i missing something?.

Cheers in advance for the help.

Tim
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Making boot drive into secondary- new build

Post by r8response »

When installing Windows onto the new SSD, make sure no other drives are plugged in (Just remove either the SATA cable or Power cable), you do this because Windows 8 and 10 like to create a 100MB System Reserved partition on another drive. So if you ever decide to use that drive in another PC (or even replace it entirely) there goes your boot info.

Once the entire process is completed, plug the old drive in and go ahead and format. Pretty straight forward, you seem to have the gist of it already.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

r8response wrote:When installing Windows onto the new SSD, make sure no other drives are plugged in (Just remove either the SATA cable or Power cable), you do this because Windows 8 and 10 like to create a 100MB System Reserved partition on another drive. So if you ever decide to use that drive in another PC (or even replace it entirely) there goes your boot info.

Once the entire process is completed, plug the old drive in and go ahead and format. Pretty straight forward, you seem to have the gist of it already.
Cheers r8. I knew i could count on you to reply here :).
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Also I'm sure you would but before formatting the old HDD you could copy the My Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies, etc to the new SSD, assuming that's where they lived. You can also copy browser favourites. ;)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

I was just going to get her to backup everything onto an external. But this may be a better/easier way. Cheers man