Never rains, but it pours

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Never rains, but it pours

Post by smithcorp »

I thought I'd upgrade my RAM from 8 to 16gb in preparation for a new version of Steel Beasts; and to get better performance in DCS. I check that a RAM change doesn't trigger those annoying DCS reactivation requirements. Buy two sticks, turn off power, unplug everything, open the case, ground myself, pop the old sticks, slot in the new sticks, close case, plug everything back in, press power switch, nothing. Not even a light or a fan moving.

Try the old sticks, nothing. Take it to the local PC guy who sold me the RAM. Power supply dead [how the fark did that happen?]. Buy new power supply. He installs, then restarts - immediate blue screen.

I leave it with him to reinstall windows and head off to NZ. He just called - my hard drive (which he thankfully backed up) has errors causing the blue screens and preventing windows being reinstalled. New hard-drive required and now I'm going to have to reinstall every damn thing. And lose activations in DCS...

Bloody hell.
hylas

Re: Never rains, but it pours

Post by hylas »

That sucks dude, I've had to use another DCS activation because a HDD died on me before too. It does seem a bit wierd to have it all go at once, but if you run your pc pretty much 24/7 then you'll be surprised how long a dying drive can run for before packing it in completely.
richo

Post by richo »

The joy of computers , I get that sort thing all the time .

Go to job fix the issue reboot and the fucker never starts again without parts or at the minimum a new install of Windows talk about looking like a chump.
[]D [] []v[] []D
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

richo wrote:The joy of computers , I get that sort thing all the time .

Go to job fix the issue reboot and the fucker never starts again without parts or at the minimum a new install of Windows talk about looking like a chump.
Yup. Frustrating. :nod:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I've had similar things happen... You just sit there scratching your head thinking it can't possibly be that much of a coincidence. Hope everything works out soon.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I just had my data drive die, and I been lazy on backups. Thankfully its all stuff I can get back through various means. just annoying.

and worse it stopped my downloading as I had the temp files set on that drive. Oh wells
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Reinstalling you say.. Love ninite.com, makes program install much easier..
Other then that, could redo my clone drive in Dropbox/Google drive that has the rest.. but it is just the process..

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.