(Legal) Streaming movies and TV - what is the best platform?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
plastik8

(Legal) Streaming movies and TV - what is the best platform?

Post by plastik8 »

Hi Guys,

My boss at work told me his local DVD rental store has shut down, so he has asked me what's the best way to "rent" movies and TV via the net.

He would be after a device to plug in to his non-smart TV. He has WiMax internet, and can upgrade his monthly quota to suit as necessary.

He would need to keep things relatively simple, so no VPNs or DNS to avoid geo-blocking.

I was thinking:

Apple TV (Gen 3) - Approx $90. Benefits: Netflix, iTunes Movies / TV, Stan? Presto? ABC iView? (Never used one for Australia connection)

Apple TV (Gen 4) - Approx $250. Benefits: All of the above, plus more? Plex (He wouldn't use it). Is there a Google play app, to play movies from the Google store?

Nvidia Shield - Approx $300. Benefits: Google movies, Android apps etc. Disadvantages: Need to order it from the US, no local warranty.

Are there any other options? How about Roku? T-Box? Etc.?

Cheers
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
DarrenM

Re: (Legal) Streaming movies and TV - what is the best platform?

Post by DarrenM »

I just use a chromecast and my tablet.

Netflix, Stan and iview all have chromecast support in their IOS and Android apps.

If he's with telsta he could get a telstra tv thing https://www.telstra.com.au/tv-movies-mu ... telstra-tv
Montey

Post by Montey »

I buy (you can rent) movies from YouTube and Chromecast it. The new Chromecast is FullHD and does 5.1 surround.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Montey wrote:I buy (you can rent) movies from YouTube and Chromecast it. The new Chromecast is FullHD and does 5.1 surround.
Cheers Montey and DarrenM - have recommended he buy the Chromecast 2.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Another for Chromecast.

I dont know what ide do without mine. Ended up getting one for each TV in the house as it sucked when turning on a TV that didnt have one installed.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I thew Plex on my Telstra TV. So even though we have Netflix, all the movies and TV Shows on my PC can be watched on the bigscreen. Good for all the Pixar movies for the kids.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Netflix,stan etc are pretty decent.

If you have a ps3/ps4 you can rent tonnes of movies on the PSN store. Way more cost effective to use netflix etc