5Ghz WiFi settings

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Scottie

5Ghz WiFi settings

Post by Scottie »

Hi all,

I've struggled to find anything on the web about my problem, so here goes!

I've just purchased an Asus PCE-AC68 Wireless NIC to use the 5Ghz capability of my Netgear DGND3700v2 router.
I have tried changing the channels between 36 and 44, and the speeds between 145mbps (also tested ch40 on this speed) and 300mbps, but can't get the thing to find the 5G SSID.

I jumped in the device properties, tried setting the 802.11n preable from auto to mixed mode, tried enabling beam forming, don't understand the rest so don't want to ruin anything, but it's still not finding the network.

I have two other 2.4Ghz networks running on the router, but can't see how they'd get in the way as there's separate setting sections for each of those.

Also updated the firmware on the router.
The router is physically one room away, the signal I guess either goes around or through a few cupboards.

I can't imagine setting up a 5G network can be so much harder than a 2.4G one?

Anyone with some experience with this stuff? The Asus site is crap for these issues and other forums are mentioning other settings like WiFI band disabling which doesn't seem to be an option I've got.
:melt:
wabbit

Re: 5Ghz WiFi settings

Post by wabbit »

Sorry but have you enabled the 5Ghz network on your router?

And yes setting up 5Ghz networks are super easy, it's normally a checkbox and filling in an SSID name.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Are the 2.4 and 5ghz networks running the same SSID or do they differ?

I was using a PCE-AC68 in my HTPC and I don't recall having to do anything special to connect to the 5Ghz section of my Asus DSL-AC68U router, the only thing that came to mind was I had different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5Ghz.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

As above, it is just like any other network.

Most networks are auto labeled, normally add a 5 for the 5Ghz.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Yeah the SSID's are different, added -5G, and also tried just 5G on the end in case it didn't like the -. I even set it to broadcast after setting the WPA key.

I hadn't thought of the 5G option being disabled, so instead of going to WiFi settings, I scrolled through the general settings options, and yes, found 5G was turned off!

Thanks everyone!

:doh: :rtfm:
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Ahh lulz, it happens :)

On a serious note, as difficult as it is in the heat of the moment, try to think of the possible easier things that could be the problem. I learnt that from my first team leader and it's stuck with me for 15 years.

Eg: no point replacing network cards, drivers, setup/config then test when the problem is just a bad network cable.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

LOL nice one.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Ohhh.. before auto-crossover became standard...

That person that made a patch cable with the standard network cable was throttled almost weekly.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

'Have you tried turning it off and off again'