PC Build

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: PC Build

Post by ysu »

Potential improvements, in my opinion:

1) ram - why don't you go for 32? I've recently realised Doom for example loves to gobble up 16GB. Anything else (eg db server) running, it was not enough. And two 16GB sticks are always better - if you think you'll need more anytime soon.
2) case; my experience: I've tried a 90degree sideways positive pressure one a good while ago. And I'm still using it. (Silverstone Fortress ft02) I think I'll buy another very similar next. It's a full size case, so space inside is great and very neat to attach things - because it's all on the top. With the positive pressure comes less dust inside, even though the grilles are all on the top. Maybe have a look.
3) Asus is what I prefer (mobo mainly), maybe just brand loyalty, but I've seen less issues with these than gigabyte - altho my real experience in this area lies very far back, when I've worked in a hardware shop. I do not have recent statistics. Maybe both brands have lower and higher end stuff and the higher end is all good - altho for $140 that one does not look to be in that category. A finicky mobo can be very annoying (eg if slots aren't aligned to the tenth-millimeter and the gfx or ram card occasionally does not connect properly...). I stick to higher end mobos for this reason, even if half of its features I will never use.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

ysu wrote:Potential improvements, in my opinion:

1) ram - why don't you go for 32? I've recently realised Doom for example loves to gobble up 16GB. Anything else (eg db server) running, it was not enough. And two 16GB sticks are always better - if you think you'll need more anytime soon.
2) case; my experience: I've tried a 90degree sideways positive pressure one a good while ago. And I'm still using it. (Silverstone Fortress ft02) I think I'll buy another very similar next. It's a full size case, so space inside is great and very neat to attach things - because it's all on the top. With the positive pressure comes less dust inside, even though the grilles are all on the top. Maybe have a look.
3) Asus is what I prefer (mobo mainly), maybe just brand loyalty, but I've seen less issues with these than gigabyte - altho my real experience in this area lies very far back, when I've worked in a hardware shop. I do not have recent statistics. Maybe both brands have lower and higher end stuff and the higher end is all good - altho for $140 that one does not look to be in that category. A finicky mobo can be very annoying (eg if slots aren't aligned to the tenth-millimeter and the gfx or ram card occasionally does not connect properly...). I stick to higher end mobos for this reason, even if half of its features I will never use.
1) Cost really. Can always add another 16gb later if needed.
2) That case you stated is one ugly case, lol. No offense intended. I currently have an Antec P180 that I've have for nearly 10 years. It's great! But it's also starting to rust inside and the front USB's haven't worked for ages as they're broken.. I guess I could give it a quick spray and clean and use the extra $$ saved towards more RAM.... something to think about.
3) Brand loyalty on that. I've had Gigabyte boards from when they were the first group to bring out dual bios. Never had a fail so just sticking to them.

I keep flip flopping back and forth between Ryzen and the i7 7700k. Going to sit tight for a bit and see what improves over the next couple of weeks. If I go Intel, I can also squeeze in a 144hz monitor if I stretch mu budget, lol.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Well, ok my case it's more functional than decorational. It's a case. I don't really care about looks. :)
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

I have a deep seated hatred for Gigabut from my days as a tech at the local shop.. So many failures. My only dead Graphics card that I have bought was also a Gigabyte (they have GFX component quality issues still).. BUT, it seems the Aurus (Gigabyte) boards have been the most consistent with AM4 with the Asus being with worst. The actual component quality like capacitors and transistors is higher on the Asus but the BIOS has been better on the Gigabyte. After watching/reading all the reviews I'd probably go the ASRock board Hardware Unboxed used, ASRock is another division of ASUS so satisfies my fanboism enough and they seemed to get decent results.

Oh, and once you go 120+Hz monitor you will never go back.. Just a warning :)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

At this stage I'm going to go with the Intel CPU. Still going to give it a bit but it's still miles ahead for gaming at the present moment and only evens out at 1440p which is GPU bottlenecked anyways.

I didn't know ASRock was ASUS. Might check prices then. I'm kind of excited about 144hz monitor. Will definitely have the gear to drive it. Getting an ASUS 27" 1080p 144hz monitor.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Flip flopping on monitors at the moment between 1440p @ 60hz or 1080p @ 144hz both 27". Not sure which to choose as I've been told going to 27" at 1080p might be a bit pixelated.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Are you gaming hardcore? Then 144Hz is the way to go.
Are you working on your pc? Then I'd shoot for the biggest monitor I can afford. (which for me is 43" currently - there's no bigger monitor on the market, hehe)
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Can't stand 60Hz.. I have owned a BenQ XL2720Z for a period of time, pretty pixelated and it is a little annoying.. Bloody quick though and is probably one of the best for speed/inputlag, great for hardcore CSGO which is what I was doing at the time. After that I had an ASUS Swift PG278Q, 1440 looked MUCH better and its colours were better too.. I recon I would get this if I was on a budget though https://www.pccasegear.com/products/362 ... ng-monitor I really hate gsync anyway and while I appreciate an accurate white point (6500k) I don't care that much about colour accuracy as I only game.

I ultimately sold the swift for the rift and bought a Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz 22" for $60 off ebay for the occasional non racing game I play.. Which isn't often these days. I would still never ever ever ever ever ever go back to less than 90Hz.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yeah horses for courses. And what you get used to.
If I had to work on 27" or less I'd go mad. I find my wife's 24" unbearably tiny to sit in front. Like looking into a small box :)

I think I'd notice the frame rate far less - if at all (I have seen high freq screens but they did not seem any different to me). The jury is out if we as humans can even distinguish screen animation over 60Hz or so, as far as I know (but happy to be educated on the matter!).
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Watch the Linus Tech Tips vid on the matter, he can tell in a few seconds and I know I can too, all my mates tried my 120Hz screen back in the day and now ALL have high hz monitors. Apparently the NASA has proven most people can see from 220-250hz. Use case is key though, if you need a big screen get a big screen. I prefer a small fast screen because i like to win... lol
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Thanks, I'll look it up. Never heard of the NASA study.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'll link this here because it's interesting. Apparently there are people who can, and those who cannot detect the high frequencies (apparently most people will be fine with 60Hz, but 25% will be able to tell the 120Hz apart, although I'm not sure about this number).
With age, you can detect it less (just like hearing, this part seems to be deteriorating as well).
Ergo I'll probably never need a high-refresh rate monitor :)

This is where I've started, check the references.

This is the study in question
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2826883/

I've also seen some online vid where they random-tested it, one guy got it right 1 out of 5 (random chance) and the other got it 5/5 correct.

So there you have it; if you can detect the difference, you will enjoy having a high refresh rate monitor. Otherwise; it matters not. :)

p.s. I haven't found any NASA study on the subject.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Ended up going for the ASUS MX27AQ. IPS, 1440p 27" monitor. It'll definitely be better than my aging 24" (or 25, cant' remember) Acer monitor, lol.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Build looks good.

Just have first wave issues that may come up.. most have been fixed since launch and results are good, but games are laging behind maybe a month or so for most of them. Still run well just not optimal.

And who really nowdays closes all aplications before running a game(aside from older a machine on lower settings.)
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Santaria wrote:Ended up going for the ASUS MX27AQ. IPS, 1440p 27" monitor. It'll definitely be better than my aging 24" (or 25, cant' remember) Acer monitor, lol.
Should be a good monitor. You are less of a nerd so you would probably like that better than 144Hz 1080P anyway, so much nicer to look at.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

renesis37 wrote:
Santaria wrote:Ended up going for the ASUS MX27AQ. IPS, 1440p 27" monitor. It'll definitely be better than my aging 24" (or 25, cant' remember) Acer monitor, lol.
Should be a good monitor. You are less of a nerd so you would probably like that better than 144Hz 1080P anyway, so much nicer to look at.
Well, I ended up jagging the AOC 27" 144hz 1440p monitor as the reviews are very praising. And at $689 through MSY, couldn't pass it up. It get's rave reviews everywhere so here's hoping!
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Haha, good choice bro
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The 1080 Ti is out. It's as expected, a beast.
[edit] deleted the rest, that review was an exception, likely fishy

Reviews
http://www.overclockers.com.au/news.php?id=1217258
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Pretty cool they only narrowed the memory interface (and cache) slightly but then used faster RAM to compensate. It just a is a cheap Titan XP minus 1GB of RAM.

Interestingly enough he has a RyZen setup and a 7700K setup in all benchmark results, it shows how it performs in GPU limited scenarios which isn't bad. Interesting to note is the fact that RyZen deals with the increased DX11 driver overhead of the Fury X better than the 7700K does but with the nvidia cards its pretty much 7700K is slightly quicker in every except GTAV.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

The price point is still going to right up there. Even if you'd entrust someone to send you a card from the US, you're looking at around $950. I reckon Aus prcises will be over $1100.

My gear will be here on Tuesday. Went i7 7700k, Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1080, NDH-15 Cooler and a 500gb SSD (plus case, ram etc). The AOC Monitor is what I'm haning out for. Even though I won't be able to hit 144fps at 1440p on ultra everything, some tweaking should get it up there and if not.. meh. Still better than the current 40-50 FPS I get for most games now with msot things turned down.

Pretty excited! I'm going to save up in the meantime and switch out to Ryzen on their next lot of processors once the bugs get sorted out.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Love these sort of comparisons :)
Fps / $

Interesting to see that indeed in 4k gaming the ryzen 1800 is a very competitive alternative - while giving you all the other benefits.
(Except - of course - for the fact that you can o/c the shit out of a 7700k, and that the ryzen costs almost double, hehe)
Last edited by ysu on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Makes me excited for the GTX 2070 :P
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

renesis37 wrote:Makes me excited for the GTX 2070 :P
I was disappointed that I didn't see the Ti coming, but I read something somewhere regarding computer builds etc: If you wait for the biggest bestest bits for a computer, you'll be forever waiting. It's true I guess. Can't wait until Tuesday.. want my gear now!
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm tempted by the 1080 ti to upgrade from my R9 Nano but I think I'll need to upgrade my 550W psu which even further throws out any value proposition.

What I'll most likely do is wait it out a bit for 1080 prices to come down more, I'll wait at least until Vega comes out, it could be a good alternative to a 1080 and/or bring some further downward pressure.

The ti could also be a bit of overkill for iRacing in VR which is about my only usage case nowadays.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'm not sure if 2x970 is too far behind the 1080Ti or not. But I'll upgrade for the ram, 4k can benefit. :)