PC Build

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Sarsippius

Re: PC Build

Post by Sarsippius »

I use Win 10 on home and work pcs and don't have too much issue with it but it is a pretty dick move by MS. Security support for Win 7 runs to Jan 2020 and I find it hard to believe there's a major technical reason why the new chips can't be supported.

Unless you need Ryzen then I'd say just try to get a Skylake chip, for most consumer chips I don't think you'll miss much over Kaby Lake.

I do still run my HTPC on Win 7 but that has a Haswell chip, the only reason is there still isn't anything that does live tv better than WMC.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Ah, but Skylake is lined up for end-of-line as well, only by mid-2018. However, Broadwell-E might be the solution. It's also a very good cpu family for work!
Edit: no, further research indicates skylake is fine till jan2020. Perfect!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

There is no real reason, both are x86/x64 architecture, same/simaler code back to Vista, few lines different in the CPU update.

Yes, you may miss out of some of the new tech avalible in the chips.. like the new forced DRM, and the OS spying on you even with all the mods to turn every option off, still sends out info.

Market share is more of an issue.. Win7 is still close to 50% of all PC installs.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.