PC Build

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Santaria

Re: PC Build

Post by Santaria »

ysu wrote:I'm not sure if 2x970 is too far behind the 1080Ti or not. But I'll upgrade for the ram, 4k can benefit. :)
Even 2x 980Ti's are miles behind the current Ti. Considering I'm not playing anything too graphically intensive, the 1080 will last ages i think. Be nice to get back into AC with frames above 40, lol.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Gee....ok well, I've no probs with AC even in 4k, frames are consistently well over 60. (i.e. in the hundreds on decently built tracks)
"miles behind" - not sure what "miles" are in computing :) But now that I read a couple of reviews, I reckon the gain would be somewhere around 50% extra performance it seems, that's decent. The 1080 is around par with 2x980's, and the 970 isn't far behind. Then the 1080Ti is another 35% or so up from the 1080 - and it's a single GPU with heaps of RAM. Should be good.

But I think I'll wait a bit - I'm in no hurry, and the stock cooler seems to be the weak point of this card.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Yeah. Founder's edition cards (reference boards) tend to be plagued with issues when they're first released.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Everything arrived undamaged today, so that's a bonus. Looking at the clock and counting down until 5:00pm so I can get home to build it!
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Well.... my system is massive overkill. 7700k, SSD and GTX1080 pretty much smashes my regular games at around 250fps. Namely Rocket League and Heroes of the Storm. Had a crack at GTA V with everything cranked and still got around 150fps. 190+ for Assetto Corsa. All at 1440p.

You were right Renz, 144hz and will never ever go back. It is gloriously smooth!
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Nice rig. Now it's time to enjoy..
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Farkenell...I'm just reading that Micro$hit is now blocking win7 (and 8.1) from updating on Kaby Lake & Ryzen cpus. There's seemingly zero reason, they just do it.

So there goes my 7700k system...fuck these big companies, I do NOT want the hassle of win10. No, no, no, way no!

So to get it straight; updates are forced on win10 so you are safe & secure (that's the message) but blocked on win7 if you have a kaby lake or ryzen cpu. Because fuck you.
And no, it's not that for example AMD would not provide drivers for win7, they specifically do.

Ms wants me to transition to linux?
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

So when is it reasonable for Microsoft to stop tacking new parts onto the OS they released in 2009?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Cursed wrote:So when is it reasonable for Microsoft to stop tacking new parts onto the OS they released in 2009?
They just put a new part on: denied updates to new cpus. :)

I don't think you understand the issue; they don't have to do anything, they did this to force people off win7. They did not have to do anything, otherwise.

I do not ask them to provide support - although a 10 years or so would be reasonable in my opinion - all I want is not to fuck with what is there already.

But for the most part big companies need you to move for them to make bigger profits - and that is a must, as we know.

Engineered obsolescence.

Still, win10 has so many problems that to migrate to it will cost me a lot of time - thus money. I simply don't have the free days to spend on this. I'd have to disable half the beautiful new features, make sure it does not auto update me in the middle of work, etc... You know how annoying it can be? Have you been to a meeting when in the middle of the demo win10 updates itself, causing a 20 minute downtime to the whole thing? I'd go mad if my desktop did that while I'm working.

And that's just one of the things utterly and totally fucked up about win10.

There are everyday usability problems with it, my business partner is the living example.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

ysu wrote:Farkenell...I'm just reading that Micro$hit is now blocking win7 (and 8.1) from updating on Kaby Lake & Ryzen cpus. There's seemingly zero reason, they just do it.

This was announced by Microsoft OVER 12 months ago. If you aren't willing to move on from Windows 7, you can hardly blame MS.

Maybe you should go to Linux, at least that way you'd have something less to bitch and moan about.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

ysu wrote:
Cursed wrote:So when is it reasonable for Microsoft to stop tacking new parts onto the OS they released in 2009?
They just put a new part on: denied updates to new cpus. :)

I don't think you understand the issue; they don't have to do anything, they did this to force people off win7. They did not have to do anything, otherwise.

I do not ask them to provide support - although a 10 years or so would be reasonable in my opinion - all I want is not to fuck with what is there already.

But for the most part big companies need you to move for them to make bigger profits - and that is a must, as we know.

Engineered obsolescence.

Still, win10 has so many problems that to migrate to it will cost me a lot of time - thus money. I simply don't have the free days to spend on this. I'd have to disable half the beautiful new features, make sure it does not auto update me in the middle of work, etc... You know how annoying it can be? Have you been to a meeting when in the middle of the demo win10 updates itself, causing a 20 minute downtime to the whole thing? I'd go mad if my desktop did that while I'm working.

And that's just one of the things utterly and totally fucked up about win10.

There are everyday usability problems with it, my business partner is the living example.
Fuck off Ysu. I've had far less issues with Windows 10 than any platform. To expect to have support for a software platform that's old as shit is just naive. I also call bullshit that to upgrade to Windows 10 could be a monetary loss to you considering the length of time it's been out. You do know, just as you can in Windows 7, turn off the auto update and reboot feature yeah?

You just need something to bitch about in my opinion.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

I hate Windows 10, its a POS and a huge step backwards in many areas from Windows 7... but I still use it, I just go through and disable all the reporting crap and block everything using the firewall. To get around the forced updates all you have to do is disable the windows update service from services.msc and enable it again when you want an update, that is what I do an it works well.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

also disable cortana, XBOX DVR and some other crap.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Santaria, seriously? "fuck off" is your best response? What on earth is wrong with you?

I find that comment extremely rude and uncalled for. Regardless of our opinions and expectations, you just can't discuss something with others in that style, it's just not on.

Also calling my situation naive and my loss of work / money "bs" is shouting of your ignorance, nothing else.

Welcome to the ignore list.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

renesis37 wrote:I hate Windows 10, its a POS and a huge step backwards in many areas from Windows 7... but I still use it, I just go through and disable all the reporting crap and block everything using the firewall. To get around the forced updates all you have to do is disable the windows update service from services.msc and enable it again when you want an update, that is what I do an it works well.
Thanks, I know there are ways around some/most of the issues, the problem is that last time I had to go with a clean OS it took me something over 2 days to get everything running for work. Then a further 2-3 weeks to discover little issues that had to be ironed out. Always finding them at the worst times of course. Things like "oh yeah, this password was saved in the browser, and it was sent to us by that client, now where is that email that contains it" to lost configurations preventing me doing what I needed....And this was just going to a clean win7 - from another. Nothing new, really. Compare that to going to a system riddled with extra issues that need to be taken care of - like win10 is... it's daunting even just to think about it. :)

Also, R8:
apparently this upgrade blocking is new.
MS claimed they don't support new cpus, correct, but people online say the update was working in win7 up till now, and the o/s was working perfectly well, too.
So this is a very new kind of "not supporting" if this is true. It's active blocking, rather.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

ysu wrote:Santaria, seriously? "fuck off" is your best response? What on earth is wrong with you?

I find that comment extremely rude and uncalled for. Regardless of our opinions and expectations, you just can't discuss something with others in that style, it's just not on.

Also calling my situation naive and my loss of work / money "bs" is shouting of your ignorance, nothing else.

Glad to be on it to be honest. Your posts are nothing but whinges.
hylas

Post by hylas »

ysu wrote:Santaria, seriously? "fuck off" is your best response? What on earth is wrong with you?

Santa may of worded that very poorly but he did have a point. Windows 7 is old and if your purchasing the latest hardware then why would you be using such dated software? This isn't really a concern at all, just update your OS...

I agree with Santa on lack of issues with Windows 10. It was by FAR the smoothest upgrade I've done with Microsoft's products ever. Surely if you were considering Linux as a replacement OS for your desktop or laptop then there would be A LOT more time spent on configuration then just upgrading windows.

There's no reason for Microsoft not to take this approach. They are a company that needs to continue making profits, as much as possible. If new hardware comes out and they can limit that to only their latest products, then why not? It's not going to hurt any existing companies or departments that still have desktops/laptops deployed with Windows 7 installed. It's only going to be those that want the latest and greatest components that will be buying this hardware and in that case, get their latest product as well or as Santa said. Fuck off.

^^ That part was my opinion of what Microsoft management were thinking, not me actually telling you that directly.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

To be fair santa would probably say fuck off to your face, don't take it too much to heart.. lol

I understand not wanting to use a tablet optimised OS on your desktop, the fragmented settings menus are rediculous.. but yeah from a driver support perspective it does kind of make sense to make people upgrade.. under its skin it is quite different to windows 7 so would probably be costing money to continue support, plus they don't get to make you buy stuff on the store thing (which I've disabled :P)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

hylas wrote: Santa may of worded that very poorly but he did have a point. Windows 7 is old and if your purchasing the latest hardware then why would you be using such dated software? This isn't really a concern at all, just update your OS...
Upgrade the hardware; there's a reason, better experience, faster task solution, less lag eg on unpacking an archive when I'm looking for something in backups, better performance from the sql server for testing, and yes, gaming as well.
Upgrade the O/S; no real reason. The win7 works very well - except for the artificial blocks.
hylas wrote: I agree with Santa on lack of issues with Windows 10. It was by FAR the smoothest upgrade I've done with Microsoft's products ever.
That is good to hear. But it's a terribly chancy thing to do for zero advantage for me. ( As I said, my business partner did just that and the end result was that he had to start from scratch eventually. Mileages vary. )
Indeed, this is probably the very reason MS was trying to ram win10 down everyone's throat earlier, and forcing people lately. Although they also started showing ads in win10 explorer, how about that.
hylas wrote: Surely if you were considering Linux as a replacement OS for your desktop or laptop then there would be A LOT more time spent on configuration then just upgrading windows.
True. A metric ton more. I have only got experience with linux as a server o/s, so the desktop would surely bite me a few times.
But microsoft's direction is - like google's, really - to own the customer and then do whatever they like to further their profit. Problem is; google does it very cleverly, by giving you goodies and enticing you to join. (I did not, but I admire them; it's a lot more clever solution) MS tries to ram it down your throat, tries force you to accept it. And I still don't want them to own me, just as I don't want google to own me. But if I could choose, I'd prolly still choose google. Simply because they seem far better at coding. MS is only really good at one thing: marketing. That's how windows came to be what it is now. (have you tried OS2 when it was still alive? It was leaps and bounds ahead by my reckoning)

Anyway, with linux what I'd get is a system that I have full control over, and something that does not try to be smarter than it really is. Something that is a fantastic base for building your enviro on. This is really the only reason I'm toying with the idea. I just need a few weeks holidays to be able to do it, LOL. Unlikely. I haven't had much more than a week for a few years now. It's great to be self employed. :)
hylas wrote: There's no reason for Microsoft not to take this approach. They are a company that needs to continue making profits, as much as possible. If new hardware comes out and they can limit that to only their latest products, then why not? It's not going to hurt any existing companies or departments that still have desktops/laptops deployed with Windows 7 installed. It's only going to be those that want the latest and greatest components that will be buying this hardware and in that case, get their latest product as well or as Santa said. Fuck off.
^^ That part was my opinion of what Microsoft management were thinking, not me actually telling you that directly.
Yes of course they can do it, but I don't have to love them for it, do I? I do not like this corporate mentality of theirs, and I simply can't understand why people are so willing to bend over without the smallest amount of forethought and fight. Yes, it's a pointless fight from an individual's standpoint, but if everyone would have thought like that, we'd have a very boring history and probably god-kings would rule over the world, still. But we're veering off quite a bit here.

Shyte this became a long post. Oh well, might as well leave it here.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

renesis37 wrote:To be fair santa would probably say fuck off to your face, don't take it too much to heart.. lol
I understand that, some people are rude to the nth degree and think it's funny. Or that they're entitled to be like that. I'll still leave him on my ignore list, I simply don't care about his opinion anymore.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Windows 10 is fine. Has been fine for ages now. Stop living in the past
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

+1
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

LOL welcome to the future where your choice is to win10 or "fuck off". Bright future, that one. You're welcome to have it all.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Windows 10, like 7 and others before it, has wrinkles like all OS's. The fucked up peer to peer networking. Unwanted updates kicking in. Need for gigabytes of RAM.

Linux is great if you have the time to customise it.

Everyone's needs a different. A little respect would be good to. :yes:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Totally agree there's not much wrong with Win10 from a getting things done perspective. It certainly raises questions about privacy with "out of the box" configuration. Personally, I'm totally against artificially blocking new hardware working on older software/OS. That's just a dick move. Fair enough if there's legitimate compatibility issues, but this is about making money. Well, kinda, sorta. Win10 is just about free, and if you're not paying for the product, you are the product (data collection). There will be significant pushback from enterprise trying to support legacy software on aging hardware, which doesn't work on 10... so in all likelihood, the block won't last. Do I still use Win10? sure, for gaming. Linux desktop for everything else.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.