Using 4G phone as network gateway.

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Using 4G phone as network gateway.

Post by norbs »

gents, I am getting sick and fucking tired of my shitty ADSL falling over every time there are some clouds about. Apparently there is nothing telstra can do (of course).

So, I was wondering, now that I get 15gig or something on my mobile, is there a way to use the hotspot as a network gateway? So even PCs with no WiFi on them could access the net via the 4G phone?

Hotspot - Switch - wired network. Would be ideal. Then I can just change the gateway on any device I want to connect via the 4G hotspot.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Using 4G phone as network gateway.

Post by ysu »

I don't know if you can connect your entire home network to the phone, that would be some feat...hotspot, sure, easily, but to tell your router to use that wifi hotspot as the outgoing connection...?

by the way there's another solution - altho it's not using your present mobile data - is to buy a prepaid mobile data device. I use one of these for moving around & as a backup.
It's not exactly the cheapest option, but you can get a $140 recharge with 730 days expiry and 16GB data - that's exactly what I need.

However, this also creates its own wifi network, so you you're back to square one if you want your network to switch on demand. Computers can be manually swapped over easily, but I guess that's not what you want.

Hm...quick google; this looks like what you want.
http://www.wikihow.com/Add-a-Mobile-Wir ... ur-Network
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
norbs

Post by norbs »

ysu wrote:I don't know if you can connect your entire home network to the phone, that would be some feat...hotspot, sure, easily, but to tell your router to use that wifi hotspot as the outgoing connection...?

by the way there's another solution - altho it's not using your present mobile data - is to buy a prepaid mobile data device. I use one of these for moving around & as a backup.
It's not exactly the cheapest option, but you can get a $140 recharge with 730 days expiry and 16GB data - that's exactly what I need.

However, this also creates its own wifi network, so you you're back to square one if you want your network to switch on demand. Computers can be manually swapped over easily, but I guess that's not what you want.

Hm...quick google; this looks like what you want.
http://www.wikihow.com/Add-a-Mobile-Wir ... ur-Network

Yeah, I have a wireless bridge here, but it is really flakey at best. I dont know what is wrong with it, but I can do a speed test on the phone and get 60meg/30meg but through the network it drops to 200k at times. I might look at a better one.

Thnaks YSU.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Yeah do what Ysu said. We use those devices at work. Works fine.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

norbs

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:Yeah do what Ysu said. We use those devices at work. Works fine.

Great. I have a TP link one here I was given, and maybe now I know why they gave it to me. :) The thing is fucked. Must be an internal c/o somewhere because it works for about 3 minutes then starts to fail then just stops working.

I just thought it was an issue with 4G -> WiFi -> Ethernet somewhere.
hylas

Post by hylas »

Your initial question about sharing the connection to the whole network is most certainly possible. Not really ideal but if that's what you got to do then so be it.

Best way would be to connect the phone to the computer and have that computer share the connection for others on the LAN. I've never done this on windows before but if sharing the connection is not enough then you would have to configure ip forwarding. But to answer the question, yes it's possible with just the hardware you already have.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I've head good things about these guys, who do $89 4g unlimited wireless on the optus network https://www.vividwireless.com.au/plans
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

We use Netcomm 4G routers on some of our lighting sensors.. Something like that would work fine.

We use these but there are cheaper options.

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/netcom ... oC-irw_wcB
eek
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Can disable the modem part of it, and enable internet pass through via the pc that is connected to the phone... but 15gig..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
norbs

Post by norbs »

wobblysauce wrote:Can disable the modem part of it, and enable internet pass through via the pc that is connected to the phone... but 15gig..

When the ADSL drops I am not going to start torrenting. it is just a back up for work or web browsing for when it goes down. Im not a fucking idiot Wobbles.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I have a few of these at work, it looks like it's much the same thing as what nutty linked.

http://www.dovado.com/en/products

You will need to buy a usb dongle but I think most Telstra mobile plans give you a free shared sim to use your phones data in your tablet or whatever which you can put in the dongle. With the dovado router set up right if the adsl goes down it's just a matter of switching off your normal router, switching this one on and unplugging your switch from the normal router to this one.
markus

Post by markus »

I have an Ubiquiti USG box that allowed me to share ADSL and 4G. It can use one of the upstreams as a failover or do load balancing.

Since in my part of the world ADSL is shitty and 4G is not, these days I have two of these 4G boxes and the USG is in load balancing mode.
Much cycling such kilometers.