PC to iPhone data transfer - must I use iTunes?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

PC to iPhone data transfer - must I use iTunes?

Post by VTRacing »

So I don't know the best way to do this. I have a bunch of photos and videos on my PC that I want to transfer onto an iPhone or iPod, is there any way to do this without needing to install iTunes on my PC?

I've tried simply using file explorer to move the folders on to the base level of the device, but I get an error saying the device has been disconnected or is not responding. Presumably the phone doesn't like being used as a simple external storage.

Clueless here. Any tips?
:teach:
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Re: PC to iPhone data transfer - must I use iTunes?

Post by nutty »

Yeah iTunes :(
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

There are a few programs about that will treat an iPhone like external storage. It's been a long time since I've used anything though. I used to load my Mrs' old iPhone up with music without iTunes.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
hylas

Post by hylas »

Pretty sure when I plug my iphone into my Windows 10 box I get access to the DCIM folder (the photos & Videos) in "My Computer" where I can grab the files off the phone or place more into it. I do need to tap the "Trust Computer" thingy that appears on the phone though before this shows up.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

hylas wrote:Pretty sure when I plug my iphone into my Windows 10 box I get access to the DCIM folder (the photos & Videos) in "My Computer" where I can grab the files off the phone or place more into it. I do need to tap the "Trust Computer" thingy that appears on the phone though before this shows up.
Yeah this...

Although I can't remember ever putting stuff there, only downloading it off the phone.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Yeah, it gave me access to those folders, and I clicked the "trust computer" thing on the phone.

But if I tried shifting files to the device I got an error saying the device was unresponsive or had disconnected.
:teach:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Could you move stuff from it? You should be able to do that. If it causes the same issue. Then there must be something else blocking it. Firewall/antivirus?
hylas

Post by hylas »

Could also be a shitty connection, got another charging cable to test with?