Steam Streaming

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Steam Streaming

Post by KNAPPO »

Anyone use Steam game streaming and can comment on how well the service works?
http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... owdoiuseit

Im considering giving it a go for playing some non sim racing games in the lounge on the big tv and not have to remove the PC from the sim rig. I have an old PC or the Mrs lap top that should do the trick for the receiving unit. Apart from that the only other issue I could encounter would be the home wireless network.

It might be more hassle than its worth and just easier to take the main PC out of triple screens, unplug everything and move it to the TV. Just wondering if any of blokes have given this a go before I dick about with it all.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
DarrenM

Re: Steam Streaming

Post by DarrenM »

I've been considering getting a steam link and a steam controller to do this, but can't get a clear view on how much extra latency it adds. Don't have enough bits to make up a 2nd pc to test it at the moment.

You can only get them from ebgames for some reason.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I have a SteamLink, which was $30 on a sale at EB. It works well, but you do need a wired connection, wireless just doesn't cut it. Grab yourself one of those Wall socket ethernet things and you'll be set
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Interesting, had not heard of the SteamLink. Better solution than having a PC box sitting on the carpet next to my entertainment cabinet.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yeah I use a steamlink, got it on the ebgames sale too.. as GT mentioned its good over wired but shite over WiFi
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Have a steam link but for games like rocket league i just found it too slow and the quality too shit. my opinion anyway
Last edited by Shaun on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello :aussie:
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

As above, not for twitchy games that need reaction time. Everything else is fine.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I tried it once a few years back and it seemed to work well and that was even with the htpc on wifi (main pc being wired). However my htpc had a decent GPU so there wasn't much point, as others have said for competitive or twitch games it's probably not the best but for more casual games laying back on the couch it's pretty good.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

For the times you could not be bothered with sitting at your PC, wraps it up nicely, add Controler companion or something like it and that is all you need to use the computer.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Set this all up last night.

Used the Mrs' laptop as the streaming device hooked up to the lounge TV which is also running the Philips Hue lightstrips and ScreenBloom for an adhock Amberlight setup.
Streaming worked well over wifi for both computers, I was surprised. A few micro pauses and the occasional image degradation for a few seconds but Skyrim was playable. A few of my non Steam games were a bit of a pain to get working like Battlefield and GTA so its not a perfect solution by no means but it worked well enough for a wifi performance test.

The ScreenBloom software worked very well in conjunction with analysing the screen picture and adjusting the average colour of the Hue lightstrip to suit.

I think for serious gaming ide either pluck the PC box and place it alongside the entertainment cabinet. My Sim racing rig isnt the most comfortable place to spend a few hours playing an adventure or FPS game, even with the luxury of triple screens, the whole rig is built to be a sim racing unit first, desktopish setup second so a lounge room option is handy.

Im contemplating a PS4 but not sure yet. Being able to play games like Red Dead Redemption 2 when it comes out is a major factor but im willing to wait on that and give the PC box a go in the lounge room hooked up to the Hue lights first, just dont want to have to move it all the time...

Keeping a close eye on the Philips Hue Entertainment update which is slated for early 2018. That might drive the PS4 option a little harder and the kids will love it and itll require far less configuration.
https://developers.meethue.com/entertainment-blog
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

If you want to give steamlink a go, EB games have it for $29 including $20 of steam credit. Online only, but postage looks reasonable

https://ebgames.com.au/pc-801560-Steam- ... -Credit-PC